DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Butt welding ends of 1/16" stainless wire (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/316790-re-butt-welding-ends-1-16-stainless-wire.html)

Don Foreman January 9th 11 05:19 AM

Butt welding ends of 1/16" stainless wire

On Fri, 7 Jan 2011 19:53:56 -0800, "Califbill"
wrote:

wrote in message

On Jan 6, 8:29 am, " wrote:
On Jan 6, 1:31 am, Ignoramus25384 ignoramus25...@NOSPAM.

25384.invalid wrote:
It worked, but left a little "bulb" near the weld. After careful
grinding, it is fine, but I wonder: Is there some secret technique to
such welding, that would make the weld look very similar to
surrounding wire? (TIG)

Silver brazing.

Dan

That's what I used to do.

Reply:
I still get a small blob on the junction.

Too much filler.

Get some .005" flat silver solder from Brownell's, the stuff they use
to stick front sights on shotguns among other things.
Make your ring with about an .005" gap. Cut a piece of silver solder
to fit in the gap. Flux the gap, wipe flux off of metal not in the
gap, stick the little precut bit of silversolder in there, pinch the
ring gently and heat gently until the alloy melts. Capillary action
will keep the molten alloy in the gap.

With TIG, I wouldn't use any filler at all. I'd make the joint with
flat faces and no gap, do an autogenous weld.

Silver brazing is quicker, easier and just as strong.

Ignoramus21107 January 10th 11 04:57 PM

On 2011-01-09, Don Foreman wrote:

With TIG, I wouldn't use any filler at all. I'd make the joint with
flat faces and no gap, do an autogenous weld.

It does not work, I tried it. The ends pull away from each other as
soon as metal starts to melt.

Silver brazing is quicker, easier and just as strong.

Here I am not sure how to keep the flame from melting the wire
quickly. But it seems worth trying.

[email protected] January 10th 11 07:21 PM

Butt welding ends of 1/16" stainless wire

On Jan 10, 11:57*am, Ignoramus21107 ignoramus21...@NOSPAM.
21107.invalid wrote:

Silver brazing is quicker, easier and just as strong.

Here I am not sure how to keep the flame from melting the wire
quickly. But it seems worth trying.

You do not need that hot a flame. A cheap propane torch will work
well on relatively small items. You could let your son silver braze
his own zipper pull.

Dan

Rich Grise[_3_] January 10th 11 10:52 PM

21107.invalid wrote:

Silver brazing is quicker, easier and just as strong.

Here I am not sure how to keep the flame from melting the wire
quickly. But it seems worth trying.

You do not need that hot a flame. A cheap propane torch will work
well on relatively small items. You could let your son silver braze
his own zipper pull.

Is silver soldering really considered "brazing?" Many years ago, I brass-
brazed a piece of linkage in my part, but used OA because one of my coaches
at the time said, "you have to actually puddle the iron." On my first try,
I thought brazing was like soldering and it pulled apart with my bare hands.

But I _have_ silver soldered with propane-air.

Thanks!
Rich

[email protected] January 10th 11 11:44 PM

On Jan 10, 5:52*pm, Rich Grise wrote:

Is silver soldering really considered "brazing?" Many years ago, I brass-
brazed a piece of linkage in my part, but used OA because one of my coaches
at the time said, "you have to actually puddle the iron." On my first try,
I thought brazing was like soldering and it pulled apart with my bare hands.

But I _have_ silver soldered with propane-air.

Thanks!
Rich

Below some temperature everything is considered soft soldered or just
soldered. This includes some solders that have no lead and some
silver.

But above this temperature is various sorts of brazing. Everyone used
to just call the stuff with 35% or more of silver, silver solder, but
now with the low temerature solders that contain some solder it is
better to use the term silver braze so no one is confused.

Some of the low temperature solders are good for about 10,000 psi
strength. The high temperature silver braze is good for about ten
times as much strength.
However this is for a lap joint with about 2 or 3 thousandth clearance
between the pieces.

Your coach that said you have to actually puddle the iron was wrong.
Brazing is joining pieces with an alloy that melts below the melting
point of the pieces being joined. The pieces being joined do not
melt.

This website has much more information.

www.lucasmilhaupt.com

Dan

RangersSuck January 11th 11 02:29 AM

On 2011-01-09, Don Foreman wrote:

With TIG, I wouldn't use any filler at all. *I'd make the joint with
flat faces and no gap, *do an autogenous weld.

It does not work, I tried it. The ends pull away from each other as
soon as metal starts to melt.

Silver brazing is quicker, easier and just as strong.

Here I am not sure how to keep the flame from melting the wire
quickly. But it seems worth trying.

You could braze using the TIG torch at lower power. Also, you could
find a friendly jeweler and ask him to show you how to do this. I'm
sure you, of all people, could work out an equitable trade.

Rich Grise[_3_] January 11th 11 03:31 AM

wrote:

Your coach that said you have to actually puddle the iron was wrong.
Brazing is joining pieces with an alloy that melts below the melting
point of the pieces being joined. The pieces being joined do not
melt.

Well, the part was a piece of the clutch linkage from my '72 Ford E-100;
it was bent into an "L" at each end, and one of the elbows had started
to open up. It was like 3/8 steel rod that looked like the ends were
forged. I wanted to stick it back together; somebody suggested "brazing",
with the OA torch and brass filler rod. The first time I tried, I treated
the brass like solder; adhered it to the two sides of the crack, and it
opened up almost under hand pressure. That's when the guy said, "puddle
the iron," which worked for the rest of the life of the tall car.

So what did I do?

Thanks,
Rich

Don Foreman January 11th 11 05:02 AM

Butt welding ends of 1/16" stainless wire

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 10:57:45 -0600, Ignoramus21107

On 2011-01-09, Don Foreman wrote:

With TIG, I wouldn't use any filler at all. I'd make the joint with
flat faces and no gap, do an autogenous weld.

It does not work, I tried it. The ends pull away from each other as
soon as metal starts to melt.

Way too much current. You need to be using a 1mm sharp tungsten at
very low current. You want to be running a micropuddle, not melt the
whole end of the wire at once.

Silver brazing is quicker, easier and just as strong.

Here I am not sure how to keep the flame from melting the wire
quickly. But it seems worth trying.

Small flame some distance from work. The work shouldn't get hotter
than very dull red.

Don Foreman January 11th 11 05:26 AM

Butt welding ends of 1/16" stainless wire

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 14:52:43 -0800, Rich Grise

21107.invalid wrote:

Silver brazing is quicker, easier and just as strong.

Here I am not sure how to keep the flame from melting the wire
quickly. But it seems worth trying.

You do not need that hot a flame. A cheap propane torch will work
well on relatively small items. You could let your son silver braze
his own zipper pull.

Is silver soldering really considered "brazing?"

Yes. The proper term is "silver brazing". Soldering and brazing are
very similar processes, the difference being merely one of
temperature. Soldering is typically below 450F, brazing is typically
above 800F. Most silver-brazing alloys go between 1100F and 1300F.

So what material does one use to do silver brazing? Why, silver
solder, of course!

brazed a piece of linkage in my part, but used OA because one of my coaches
at the time said, "you have to actually puddle the iron."

He was wrong. Soldering and brazing work by raising the work and
alloy above the alloy's melting point, which is lower (sometimes
markedly lower) than the melting point of either piece being joined.
The liquid alloy then forms a solution with the base metal much as
water dissolves sugar. When the solution in the joint freezes, you
have a joint. The only difference between soldering and brazing is
the temperature, and therefore the alloys used. The worst thing you
can do while brazing or soldering is to overheat the joint because
that can boil some of the constituents out of the brazing/soldering
alloy. Welding, by contrast, actually melts the base metals and the
parts are joined when the resulting conjoined puddle freezes.

On my first try,
I thought brazing was like soldering and it pulled apart with my bare hands.

A good silver-brazed joint can have strength of 100K psi. I routinely
make special-purpose lathe bits by silver-brazing broken bits of HSS
to larger shanks of mild steel.

But I _have_ silver soldered with propane-air.

Yes, propane-air is quite sufficient for small jobs. Some jewellers
uses propane-air or oxy/propane. O/A is easier to direct, control
and localize, but propane-air can certainly get it done.

There is an excellent reference book about brazing at
http://www.brazingbook.com/

There's a lot of good information about brazing in that book.

cavelamb January 11th 11 06:28 AM

21107.invalid wrote:
[...]

Sounded interesting. Don, but why do they need my phone number?

--

Richard Lamb
email me:

Don Foreman January 11th 11 06:41 AM

Butt welding ends of 1/16" stainless wire

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 19:31:28 -0800, Rich Grise

Your coach that said you have to actually puddle the iron was wrong.
Brazing is joining pieces with an alloy that melts below the melting
point of the pieces being joined. The pieces being joined do not
melt.

Well, the part was a piece of the clutch linkage from my '72 Ford E-100;
it was bent into an "L" at each end, and one of the elbows had started
to open up. It was like 3/8 steel rod that looked like the ends were
forged. I wanted to stick it back together; somebody suggested "brazing",
with the OA torch and brass filler rod. The first time I tried, I treated
the brass like solder; adhered it to the two sides of the crack, and it
opened up almost under hand pressure. That's when the guy said, "puddle
the iron," which worked for the rest of the life of the tall car.

So what did I do?

The first time, you probably melted the brazing alloy onto the steel
like candlewax. It coated but didn't bond. You need to raise the
workpiece temperature to the melting point of the alloy for it to
fuse.

When you "puddled the iron" you effectively welded the part after
boiling all of the zinc or tin out of whatever brazing alloy you'd
applied. You'd have been better off to skip the alloy and use
coathanger as a filler rod, actually not a bad approach in a situation
like that. TIG rod works very well for gas welding of steel but a
lot of automotive parts have been mended with a torch and a bit of
coathanger.

Wild_Bill January 11th 11 06:53 AM

Butt welding ends of 1/16" stainless wire

Another description that can be useful for soft solders which contain
silver, is silver-bearing soft solder. Soft solders (with or without silver
content) easily melt without a flame, with a soldering iron or soldering
gun.. in the range of about 430-650 F temperatures.

Silver-bearing solders are now becoming popular for use in copper plumbing
connections (with propane or MAPP gas torches. The newer lead-free plumbing
solders are generally silver-bearing (soft) solders with maybe 6% silver
content.

Actual silver solders are high temperature application, and hard compared to
low temp soft solders.
Hard silver solders aren't going to melt/flow with soldering iron
temperatures, and are typically stiff like steel wire.

Soft wire solders, even silver-bearing alloys, can easily be wrapped around
a finger without discomfort.. trying the same test with hard silver solder
will be painful unless the silver solder is very thin.

Hard silver solders are applied by brazing, technically speaking.
Applications involving soft solders are soldering, whether or not the
heating source is a soldering iron or torch.

As Dan pointed out, neither of these processes will require melting/puddling
of the base metals. Both soldering and brazing products (wire, rods) will
fail at those temperatures.

One example of metal joining/repair that may improperly be referred to as
soldering or brazing, would be those "miracle" aluminum repair rods.
These actually require welding, since the rod material is required to mix
with the base metal when joining aluminum parts.
The welding temperature is fairly low, about 750+ F, simply because aluminum
alloys have low melting points.
This process wouldn't technically be defined as brazing or soldering,
because the filler material/rod is actually mixing with the aluminum alloy
base metal.

This aluminum repair rod example gets a little cloudy, because the aluminum
repair rods can also be used with other non-ferrous metals.. brass, copper,
for example.
When these other metals are joined with aluminum repair rods, the process is
more closely related to brazing.. but could be considered soldering.

--
WB

Don Foreman January 11th 11 07:05 AM

On 2011-01-09, Don Foreman wrote:

With TIG, I wouldn't use any filler at all. I'd make the joint with
flat faces and no gap, do an autogenous weld.

It does not work, I tried it. The ends pull away from each other as
soon as metal starts to melt.

PS to previous post: It does work for me, Ig, even if you're not yet
able to make it work for you. I didn't make it up or pull it outta me
arse, I've made several rings from wire. The TIG machine you have is
more advanced than my old Miller Dialarc 250HF so you have the kit if
not yet the skill.

Don Foreman January 11th 11 07:53 AM

Butt welding ends of 1/16" stainless wire

21107.invalid wrote:
[...]

I don't know. That didn't used to be necessary. Maybe new marketing
pukes have invaded Handy Harman.

I don't need to read their excellent Brazing Book again, but I'd have
no problem providing my phone number because I haff wayss of
discouraging telemarketers. I really am hearing-challenged as most
vets my age are, and I know how to parlay that to max frustration for
telemarketers. I think we may be on some telemarketer "don't call"
lists because I delight in driving telemarketers to frustration and
sometimes incoherent rage. Call me in pursuit of profit at your risk.
We are rarely bothered by telemarketers.

You could always offer a phony phone number, perhaps the valid number
of a mortuary, brothel or pizzaria in your neighborhood.

Harman Handy is a reputable firm with good products and good tech
info.

Michael A. Terrell January 11th 11 08:08 AM

21107.invalid wrote:
[...]

Or one that always goes to voice mail like my 'Magic Jack' account?
I only use it to make long distance calls. :)

Harman Handy is a reputable firm with good products and good tech
info.

Teflon coated.

Rich Grise[_3_] January 11th 11 11:01 AM

Don Foreman wrote:
On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 19:31:28 -0800, Rich Grise

the brass like solder; adhered it to the two sides of the crack, and it
opened up almost under hand pressure. That's when the guy said, "puddle
the iron," which worked for the rest of the life of the tall car.

So what did I do?

The first time, you probably melted the brazing alloy onto the steel
like candlewax.

Ah, yes. "Solder is not glue that you melt before using" the joint has
to be hot enough to melt the solder without burning it.

It coated but didn't bond. You need to raise the
workpiece temperature to the melting point of the alloy for it to
fuse.

So, essentially, I "brass soldered," with no flux, IIRC.

When you "puddled the iron" you effectively welded the part after
boiling all of the zinc or tin out of whatever brazing alloy you'd
applied. You'd have been better off to skip the alloy and use
coathanger as a filler rod,

NOW ya tell me! ;-)

actually not a bad approach in a situation
like that. TIG rod works very well for gas welding of steel but a
lot of automotive parts have been mended with a torch and a bit of
coathanger.

Thanks!

You learn something new every day; I guess I can go back to bed now! ;-D

Cheers!
Rich

Ecnerwal[_3_] January 11th 11 01:38 PM

Butt welding ends of 1/16" stainless wire

....also helps to bend up the ring/loop so that it wants to overlap, and
then pull the ends back and butt them - they will have a bit of spring
tension holding them together.

Ignoramus29041 January 11th 11 02:57 PM

On 2011-01-09, Don Foreman wrote:

With TIG, I wouldn't use any filler at all. I'd make the joint with
flat faces and no gap, do an autogenous weld.

It does not work, I tried it. The ends pull away from each other as
soon as metal starts to melt.

PS to previous post: It does work for me, Ig, even if you're not yet
able to make it work for you. I didn't make it up or pull it outta me
arse, I've made several rings from wire. The TIG machine you have is
more advanced than my old Miller Dialarc 250HF so you have the kit if
not yet the skill.

Possibly. I was using a relatively big tungsten electrode and probably
too much current. I am mastering the art of wire bending (around
various mandrels or round nose pliers), making things that are very
useful around the household (hangers, zipper tabs etc).

Learning how to weld that stuff is easy, cheap and rewarding.

I usually use 316 or 308 stainless wire. I have 1/16, 3/32 and 1/8.

Larry Jaques[_3_] January 11th 11 03:23 PM

Butt welding ends of 1/16" stainless wire

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 00:41:00 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:

TIG rod works very well for gas welding of steel but a
lot of automotive parts have been mended with a torch and a bit of
coathanger.

Hopefully, those welds were primarily autogenous. Coathangers are the
****ty potmetal of steels.

--
You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will
preserve for our children this, the last best hope

Michael A. Terrell January 11th 11 04:50 PM

wrote:

TIG rod works very well for gas welding of steel but a
lot of automotive parts have been mended with a torch and a bit of
coathanger.

Hopefully, those welds were primarily autogenous. Coathangers are the
****ty potmetal of steels.

Sure, but they do fill holes. :)

Teflon coated.

Rich Grise[_3_] January 11th 11 06:48 PM

Don Foreman wrote:

You could always offer a phony phone number, perhaps the valid number
of a mortuary, brothel or pizzaria in your neighborhood.

Please don't. That just inflicts the telemarketers on the innocent.

I have this miraculous new invention - the "Answering Machine." It says,
"Hi, you've reached phone number. Please leave your name, number, and a
short message if you'd like. And please, say your name and number twice,
just so there's no confusion. Thanks! beep"

They usually hang up - those telemarketing droids are just grunts who are
trying to make a buck, and they'd rather hang up and go to the next victim
than waste their time on someone who's obviously not a buyer.

When I _do_ pick up, I can recognize them by their words, usually something
like "Hi, this is Joe Schmo, and I'm calling to give you this opportunity
to blah blah blah" I say, "Thanks, not interested. click"

Trying to "punish" them is an exercise in futility. Although, I did hear
about some guy who would say, "Please tell me your name, your supervisor's
name, and the name and address of your company - it is my duty to inform
you that my fee for using my personal equipment in the conduct of your
business is one hundred dollars per minute."

They hang up immediately if not sooner. :-

Cheers!
Rich

Rich Grise[_3_] January 11th 11 06:51 PM

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 00:41:00 -0600, Don Foreman

TIG rod works very well for gas welding of steel but a
lot of automotive parts have been mended with a torch and a bit of
coathanger.

Hopefully, those welds were primarily autogenous. Coathangers are the
****ty potmetal of steels.

Sure, but they do fill holes. :)

I've also heard that they have coathanger sex to reproduce in the darkness
of the closet, which is why they're always all tangled up and there are
more every time you look. ;-)

But coathanger for filler? Doesn't the enamel contaminate the weld?

Cheers!
Rich

Michael A. Terrell January 11th 11 11:49 PM

Rich Grise wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 00:41:00 -0600, Don Foreman

TIG rod works very well for gas welding of steel but a
lot of automotive parts have been mended with a torch and a bit of
coathanger.

Hopefully, those welds were primarily autogenous. Coathangers are the
****ty potmetal of steels.

Sure, but they do fill holes. :)

I've also heard that they have coathanger sex to reproduce in the darkness
of the closet, which is why they're always all tangled up and there are
more every time you look. ;-)

But coathanger for filler? Doesn't the enamel contaminate the weld?

Have you ever welded? Do you know what flux is for?

Teflon coated.

Rich Grise[_3_] January 12th 11 12:58 AM

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 00:41:00 -0600, Don Foreman

TIG rod works very well for gas welding of steel but a
lot of automotive parts have been mended with a torch and a bit of
coathanger.

Hopefully, those welds were primarily autogenous. Coathangers are the
****ty potmetal of steels.

Sure, but they do fill holes. :)

I've also heard that they have coathanger sex to reproduce in the
darkness of the closet, which is why they're always all tangled up and
there are more every time you look. ;-)

But coathanger for filler? Doesn't the enamel contaminate the weld?

Have you ever welded? Do you know what flux is for?

Only with fluxcore, and I've "gas brazed," which was a lot closer to
welding than soldering (I still don't know exactly what "brazing" is);
and yes, of course I know what flux is for.

Does the enamel on coat hangers make good flux? I'd think it would just
crud up the joint, but maybe it cleans off the oxides as it burns; I
simply do not know.

Thanks,
Rich

Michael A. Terrell January 12th 11 01:37 AM

Rich Grise wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 00:41:00 -0600, Don Foreman

TIG rod works very well for gas welding of steel but a
lot of automotive parts have been mended with a torch and a bit of
coathanger.

Hopefully, those welds were primarily autogenous. Coathangers are the
****ty potmetal of steels.

Sure, but they do fill holes. :)

I've also heard that they have coathanger sex to reproduce in the
darkness of the closet, which is why they're always all tangled up and
there are more every time you look. ;-)

But coathanger for filler? Doesn't the enamel contaminate the weld?

Have you ever welded? Do you know what flux is for?

Only with fluxcore, and I've "gas brazed," which was a lot closer to
welding than soldering (I still don't know exactly what "brazing" is);
and yes, of course I know what flux is for.

Does the enamel on coat hangers make good flux?

No. it burns off, like it's supposed to.

I'd think it would just
crud up the joint, but maybe it cleans off the oxides as it burns; I
simply do not know.

I've seen lots of old welders use coat hangers or other scrap wire
for fill work. Heat the end, stick it into a can of Borax and weld.
When you run out of fluxed wire you stick it back in the can and
continue working. Not for welding requiring a lot of strength, but OK
for filling rust holes in a car body, or similar jobs. I used it once
for a truck bumper I made. The steel was 3/16" thick and had a narrow
gap where the ends curved after I bent them. My freind was low on rods,
so I used coat hangers, then ground it down with a 8" angle grinder. It
looked great, and did the job.

Teflon coated.

DoN. Nichols[_2_] January 12th 11 02:57 AM

On 2011-01-11, Wild_Bill wrote:
Another description that can be useful for soft solders which contain
silver, is silver-bearing soft solder. Soft solders (with or without silver
content) easily melt without a flame, with a soldering iron or soldering
gun.. in the range of about 430-650 F temperatures.

Silver-bearing solders are now becoming popular for use in copper plumbing
connections (with propane or MAPP gas torches. The newer lead-free plumbing
solders are generally silver-bearing (soft) solders with maybe 6% silver
content.

Another place where silver-bearing solders used to be used was
in Tektronix oscilloscopes. They had notched strips of ceramic used as
terminal strips. Each notch was plated with a noticeable thickness of
silver -- and connecting to it using normal lead/tin solder would
dissolve the silver over time. Usually, you could make one or two
connections to it -- but if you had a part which was needing frequent
replacement for whatever reason, you would soon enough wind up with a
bunch of wires in a blob of solder hanging free -- no bond to the
ceramic terminal strip for that connection at least.

The Tektronix 'scopes which used these (mostly tube days, and no
printed circuit cards) typically would have a small roll of the proper
silver-bearing solder snapped in the storage compartment with the
manual, usually on the top of the 'scope.

Later -- about the time that Tektronix went to complete printed
circuit boards and mostly solid state circuitry, ALCO got the license to
make the terminal strips. I used quite a few in projects at work back
then. They were particularly nice for circuits involving high
impedances (tubes and FETs) because, unlike the typical phenolic strip
with a bunch of terminals staked in place, the glazed ceramic did not
grow fungus and provide high-impedance paths for current leakage.

And -- the phenolic tended to get cooked to death as people
sucked off the solder to gain access to wires wrapped around the
eyelets. No problem with the first components, but after several
repairs, they were a serious disaster.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Joseph Gwinn January 12th 11 08:35 PM

Butt welding ends of 1/16" stainless wire

In article ,
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

On 2011-01-11, Wild_Bill wrote:
[...]

And, you could wash them. The Tek scope maintenance manuals of the day
had a section on how to wash the scope in a bathtub. You took the
covers off, put the saambly in a tub or big deep sink, and washed it
with Alconox dishwasher detergent in hot water, rinsed with hot water
then distilled water (to remove water hardness), and let it dry. This
removed al the dust and dirt and conductive films from the ceramic
terminal strips.

Joe Gwinn

Rich Grise[_3_] January 12th 11 10:42 PM

Butt welding ends of 1/16" stainless wire

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,

[...]

Some time ago, some guy told me that if you send a 'scope to Tektronix
for warranty repair, the first thing Tek does is put the 'scope in a room
lined with ceramic tile, and turn the equivalent of a fire hose on it.

This is second-hand Urban Legend grade material, but it's a fairly
well-known fact that water doesn't hurt electronics that aren't powered
up, as long as you let it dry before you _do_ power it up. :-)

Cheers!
Rich

Joseph Gwinn January 16th 11 04:28 PM

Butt welding ends of 1/16" stainless wire

In article ,
Rich Grise wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,

[...]

I do know for a fact that Tek recommended washing the scopes - I read
the instructions myself, back in the day, so that part is not urban
legend.

I don't know about the fire hose part, but I bet that Tek did wash the
scope first, if only to eliminate dirt-induced weird problems. They
probably used a hot-water sprayer such as one would find in a commercial
kitchen.

Joe Gwinn

Jim Wilkins January 16th 11 04:46 PM

On Jan 16, 11:28*am, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
I don't know about the fire hose part, but I bet that Tek did wash the
scope first, if only to eliminate dirt-induced weird problems. *They
probably used a hot-water sprayer such as one would find in a commercial
kitchen.

Joe Gwinn

After Freon was banned we switched to washing the flux off new circuit
boards with isopropyl alcohol or soap and water. Only a few devices
with internal contacts like switches and relays couldn't be immersed
and had to be soldered on afterwards and hand-cleaned.
http://www.circuitnet.com/articles/article_52053.shtml

jsw

Don Foreman January 17th 11 06:14 AM

Butt welding ends of 1/16" stainless wire

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 08:46:34 -0800 (PST), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

On Jan 16, 11:28*am, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
I don't know about the fire hose part, but I bet that Tek did wash the
scope first, if only to eliminate dirt-induced weird problems. *They
probably used a hot-water sprayer such as one would find in a commercial
kitchen.

Joe Gwinn

After Freon was banned we switched to washing the flux off new circuit
boards with isopropyl alcohol or soap and water. Only a few devices
with internal contacts like switches and relays couldn't be immersed
and had to be soldered on afterwards and hand-cleaned.
http://www.circuitnet.com/articles/article_52053.shtml

jsw

For the occasional hobby board, I use Sanford Expo whiteboard cleaner
in a pump spray bottle as found at Office Max. A couple of squirts of
that, scrub with a toothbrush, blow dry with compressed air and the
board is pristinely fluxless.

Jim Wilkins January 17th 11 12:20 PM

On Jan 17, 1:14*am, Don Foreman wrote:
For the occasional hobby board, I use Sanford Expo whiteboard cleaner
in a pump spray bottle as found at Office Max. A couple of squirts of
that, scrub with a toothbrush, blow dry with compressed air and the
board is pristinely fluxless.

Looks good, isopropyl alcohol and butyl cellosolve:
http://whatsinproducts.com/informati...PHPSESSID=5259
I had semiconductor grade IpOH available so I used it.
http://www.cleanroomworld.com/detail...l-ipa-5202.cfm

The solid residue from RMA flux that alcohol leaves, scrubs off with
soap and water

jsw

Wild_Bill January 17th 11 12:34 PM

Butt welding ends of 1/16" stainless wire

There have been cored-solders with fluxes for circuit board assembly which
wash off completely with flowing hot water, for quite some time.. we used
one type at an instrument manufacturing facility in the late 80s.
Yep, they were hand-soldering thru-hole, medium density boards up to about
12" square.

A stiff natural bristle brush hastened the task to be fairly effortless..
but the water needed to be hot, not just almost.

--
WB

Jim Wilkins January 17th 11 01:45 PM

On Jan 17, 7:34*am, "Wild_Bill" wrote:
There have been cored-solders with fluxes for circuit board assembly which
wash off completely with flowing hot water, for quite some time.. we used
one type at an instrument manufacturing facility in the late 80s.
Yep, they were hand-soldering thru-hole, medium density boards up to about
12" square.

A stiff natural bristle brush hastened the task to be fairly effortless..
but the water needed to be hot, not just almost.

--
WB

The boards I had to fix usually weren't in pristine condition and I
needed a stronger flux than water-wash or no-clean. These fine-pitch
packages aren't easy to remove and replace without causing some harm:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quad_Flat_Package

http://www.issi.com/pdf/PQ.pdf
The pins are 0.020" on center, thus = 0.010" wide and rather
difficult to hand solder without shorting them together.

For prototypes I had to repair damage that would have scrapped a
production board.

jsw

Michael A. Terrell January 17th 11 05:45 PM

wrote:

[...]

I put a coat of car wax on new white boards to make them easy to
clean.

Teflon coated.

Don Foreman January 18th 11 05:45 AM

Butt welding ends of 1/16" stainless wire

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 15:07:07 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Jim, the MC68340 was on .015" centers, with 288 pins. I hand
soldered a lot of them on the test line, and changed a few by hand
rather than wait for rework to use their hot air station. Solder
bridges are no big problem if you run a thin bead of RMA flux down the
row, then put a drop of fresh solder on the tip of the iron. Hold the
board at a 45 degree angle, then run the drop of solder down the row of
pins.

Is the board tilted so "down" goes crossways over pins, or in the
direction that the pins point?

It will remove the bridges, even behind the pins and lift any
oxidized solder. This leaves a row of cleaner solder joints than a
reflow oven. Q would complain that they couldn't find my work, till I
taught them how to see it. The reflow solder is 80/20. The Multicore
.015" rework solder is 63/37 and had a lighter color that can be seen by
looking at them at an angle under an inspection light. The 63/37 also
had a smoother surface.

That's impressive. I'd love to see a video of that.

Jim Wilkins January 18th 11 01:44 PM

Butt welding ends of 1/16" stainless wire

On Jan 18, 12:45*am, Don Foreman
wrote:
On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 15:07:07 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

* Jim, the MC68340 was on .015" centers, with 288 pins. *I hand
soldered a lot of them on the test line, and changed a few by hand
rather than wait for rework to use their hot air station. *Solder
bridges are no big problem if you run a thin bead of RMA flux down the
row, then put a drop of fresh solder on the tip of the iron. *Hold the
board at a 45 degree angle, then run the drop of solder down the row of
pins.

Is the board tilted so "down" goes crossways over pins, or in the
direction that the pins point?

It will remove the bridges, even behind the pins and lift any
oxidized solder. *This leaves a row of cleaner solder joints than a
reflow oven. *...

That's impressive. *I'd love to see a video of that.

A variation that leaves the board flat on the static mat is placing
solder wick over the pins and running an iron down it. These are
methods that are easier to show than describe, as they require
learning to recognize and correct mistakes, like practicing welding.

jsw

Michael A. Terrell January 19th 11 02:54 AM

? wrote:

?
? Jim, the MC68340 was on .015" centers, with 288 pins. I hand
?soldered a lot of them on the test line, and changed a few by hand
?rather than wait for rework to use their hot air station. Solder
?bridges are no big problem if you run a thin bead of RMA flux down the
?row, then put a drop of fresh solder on the tip of the iron. Hold the
?board at a 45 degree angle, then run the drop of solder down the row of
?pins.

Is the board tilted so "down" goes crossways over pins, or in the
direction that the pins point?

You want the pins in a vertican row so the solder moves down from
joint to joint.

? It will remove the bridges, even behind the pins and lift any
?oxidized solder. This leaves a row of cleaner solder joints than a
?reflow oven. Q would complain that they couldn't find my work, till I
?taught them how to see it. The reflow solder is 80/20. The Multicore
?.015" rework solder is 63/37 and had a lighter color that can be seen by
?looking at them at an angle under an inspection light. The 63/37 also
?had a smoother surface.

That's impressive. I'd love to see a video of that.

If I can find a way to make one, I will. I don't have access to most
of the tools anymore.

Teflon coated.

Michael A. Terrell January 19th 11 02:57 AM

Butt welding ends of 1/16" stainless wire

Jim Wilkins wrote:

On Jan 18, 12:45 am, Don Foreman ?
wrote:
[...]

Jim, I started with that method, but ran into lose solder balls under
ICs and heavy bridges at the back side of the pins that took too much
heat to remove. I also had to scrap boards that someone else got the
braid under pins and pulled the trace from the board. We had a zero
tolerance for bad traces. A tiny puddle of liquid solder flows easily
from one pair of pins onto the next, and takes a lot less time to do
than with solder wick.

Teflon coated.

Rich Grise[_3_] January 19th 11 03:36 AM

Don Foreman wrote:
On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 15:07:07 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

Jim, the MC68340 was on .015" centers, with 288 pins. I hand
soldered a lot of them on the test line, and changed a few by hand
rather than wait for rework to use their hot air station. Solder
bridges are no big problem if you run a thin bead of RMA flux down the
row, then put a drop of fresh solder on the tip of the iron. Hold the
board at a 45 degree angle, then run the drop of solder down the row of
pins.

Is the board tilted so "down" goes crossways over pins, or in the
direction that the pins point?

About 45 degrees; a little of both, plus about 45 degrees to Z. Think,
corner of board on bench, tilted back so you're looking straight at it
from your stool.

Cheers!
Rich