Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gold Ferrous

What the heck is that. I noticed that label today on a box of inexpensive
drill bits that I had thought were Tin coated.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/15/2010 11:56 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:

What the heck is that. I noticed that label today on a box of
inexpensive drill bits that I had thought were Tin coated.

Probably is, and either a Chinglish translation, or from some marketing
'whiz' that isn't very astute in technical matters. I have noticed
however that the TiN coating on inexpensive drills looks nowhere near as
good as on quality stuff. Assuming the cheap tools really do have a TiN
coating... Don't know if it's something else, a poor job of coating, or
just a very thin flash coating. Or some combination of the above.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" fired this volley in
:

What the heck is that. I noticed that label today on a box of
inexpensive drill bits that I had thought were Tin coated.

Bob, it could be just what it says, "Iron disulfide", better known as
"Fool's Gold" or Iron Pyrite.

There's no reason why they couldn't chemically deposit a layer of that on
the drills, and do so more easily and cheaply than a TiN coating... G

It would _look_ right, but wouldn't do a damned thing for the cutting
properties. And, because it's hard and brittle, would probably spall off
pretty quickly in use.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 12:56:34 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

What the heck is that. I noticed that label today on a box of inexpensive
drill bits that I had thought were Tin coated.

I think "Gold Ferrous" is just a mistranslation of the Chinese
characters for "Colored Gold".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

What the heck is that. I noticed that label today on a box of inexpensive
drill bits that I had thought were Tin coated.

Iron Pyrite coated, perchance - all the gold that's fit for fools. Right
color, right price for cheap china junk where even a bit of titanium
might be too much like money to spend on gold-colored, butter-soft (or
glass-hard, or both) drill-bit-shaped-objects.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My evening machine shop instructor simply called the Tin coated tools
"gold". He explained that he just meant that they were gold colored.
An easy way to identify them. I don't think he thought much of them.

Pete Stanaitis