DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   CAD to parts, dirt cheap? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/314483-cad-parts-dirt-cheap.html)

Winston November 30th 10 05:06 PM

CAD to parts, dirt cheap?

Has anyone used this service bureau?
Can you give me your reactions, please?

http://www.shapeways.com/
http://www.shapeways.com/materials/

They claim to be able to convert STL files to parts
in glass, stainless, plastic or aluminide for a
$25 minimum order, $1.50 setup cost and US $1.50 per
cubic inch of nylon, for example.
(More for other materials).

Thanks!

--Winston

Jon Anderson December 2nd 10 06:35 PM

CAD to parts, dirt cheap?

On 11/30/2010 9:06 AM, Winston wrote:

Has anyone used this service bureau?
Can you give me your reactions, please?

http://www.shapeways.com/

Was hoping someone had some feedback on this. Looks interesting to be
sure. If you use them for anything, please update us on your impressions!

Jon

steamer December 3rd 10 05:12 PM

CAD to parts, dirt cheap?

--Finally had a look; I've seen some of the stuff that comes out of
this technique: it's quite nice. For a good time google "Bathsheba Grossman"
to see what she does with this process.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Time flies like an arrow
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Fruit flies like a banana

Doug White December 7th 10 12:44 AM

CAD to parts, dirt cheap?

Jon Anderson wrote in news:AFRJo.421477
:

On 11/30/2010 9:06 AM, Winston wrote:

Has anyone used this service bureau?
Can you give me your reactions, please?

http://www.shapeways.com/

Was hoping someone had some feedback on this. Looks interesting to be
sure. If you use them for anything, please update us on your

impressions!

I recently got an email from Alibre, the CAD software I use. They were
shilling for these guys:

http://www.ponoko.com/

It sounds like an interesting business model. The bulk of the stuff they
have as examples appear to be sheet material that is laser cut, or maybe
water jetted. They've recently added 3D printing, including "stainless
steel" (at $10/cc, which doesn't sound all that bad). It's actually SS
powder infused with bronze. I've always dreamed of having a 3D
lithography machine, but if I can get stuff fabbed for a reasonable
price, this would be a fun way to experiment with the process.

Doug White

Larry Jaques[_3_] December 7th 10 03:35 AM

CAD to parts, dirt cheap?

On Tue, 07 Dec 2010 00:44:57 GMT, Doug White
wrote:

Jon Anderson wrote in news:AFRJo.421477
:

On 11/30/2010 9:06 AM, Winston wrote:

Has anyone used this service bureau?
Can you give me your reactions, please?

http://www.shapeways.com/

Was hoping someone had some feedback on this. Looks interesting to be
sure. If you use them for anything, please update us on your

impressions!

I recently got an email from Alibre, the CAD software I use. They were
shilling for these guys:

http://www.ponoko.com/

It sounds like an interesting business model. The bulk of the stuff they
have as examples appear to be sheet material that is laser cut, or maybe
water jetted. They've recently added 3D printing, including "stainless
steel" (at $10/cc, which doesn't sound all that bad).

It doesn't? A quart of that stuff would cost just $9,463.53.
I guess for a 3" 3D litho, it could be affordable.

It's actually SS
powder infused with bronze. I've always dreamed of having a 3D
lithography machine, but if I can get stuff fabbed for a reasonable
price, this would be a fun way to experiment with the process.

Yeah, geting someone else to print it for you on their machine saves
you tens of thousands of up-front dollars.

Peachy keen items, too. Look at this gaudy necklace!
http://www.ponoko.com/design-your-ow...-necklace-3749
ribbit

--
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.
--Jack London

Winston December 10th 10 06:06 AM

CAD to parts, dirt cheap?

Jon Anderson wrote:
On 11/30/2010 9:06 AM, Winston wrote:

Has anyone used this service bureau?
Can you give me your reactions, please?

http://www.shapeways.com/

Was hoping someone had some feedback on this. Looks interesting to be
sure. If you use them for anything, please update us on your impressions!

Sorry for the late reply.
My newfangled filters need tuning!

I will let you know if I do anything with
Shapeways.

--Winston