Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default making very very tiny gears

Gratings

Lady friend picked up a clock at the thrift store. A very nice little
clock, save that it is missing the knob/gear to set the clock. It is
important, because w/o it the rest of the gear train doesn't stay
'rigid' and make the hands go round.
It looks to be a press fit, so either dimensions are important, or
I should consider a sort of spline to make sure it engages.

I'm thinking I can use a Dremel as a lathe, and just put a bit of
something in the collet, and "turn to fit". Should I worry about
toxic materials? (This is going into a day care when/if I get it
done.)
--
pyotr filipivich.
Discussing the decline in the US's tech edge, James Niccol once wrote
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 10, 9:18*am, pyotr filipivich wrote:
Gratings

Lady friend picked up a clock at the thrift store. *A very nice little
clock, save that it is missing the knob/gear to set the clock. *It is
important, because w/o it the rest of the gear train doesn't stay
'rigid' and make the hands go round.
* * * * It looks to be a press fit, so either dimensions are important, or
I should consider a sort of spline to make sure it engages.

* * * * I'm thinking I can use a Dremel as a lathe, and just put a bit of
something in the collet, and "turn to fit". *Should I worry about
toxic materials? *(This is going into a day care when/if I get it
done.)
-- *
pyotr filipivich.
Discussing the decline in the US's tech edge, James Niccol once wrote
"It used to be that the USA was pretty good at producing stuff teenaged
boys could lose a finger or two playing with." * *

I'm easily confused. Just what parts are there and what parts do you
need to make? Just the knob for the shaft, just the gear for the knob/
shaft, just the shaft?

Sometime in the last 50 years of collecting stuff, I found some brass
gear material. This is a brass rod about 12inches long with gear teeth
the entire length. I have several, but am not sure if they are all the
same or not. I guess you just cut off the width of gear you need and
finish it however you need. If you need the gear for the clock, I
could go find the gear stock and see if it would work for you.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

KD7HB wrote:
[...]

It's called pinion stock or pinion wire, quite a lot of gear companies
will have it so you just need to identify the size required if it's not
an oddball.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

* * * * I'm thinking I can use a Dremel as a lathe, and just put a bit of
something in the collet, and "turn to fit". *Should I worry about
toxic materials? *(This is going into a day care when/if I get it
done.)
-- *
pyotr filipivich.

Find your self a Web site that does old clocks or the like.
They will have a souce for the parts. Setting up a dremel whatever
will be a losing task for something like this.

BOb AZ
.." * *

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
[...]

Gut it and adapt a battery powered unit.
http://www.clockparts.com/?=adwords&...FdJL5Qod8zzvJw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 10, 12:18*pm, pyotr filipivich wrote:
* * * * I'm thinking I can use a Dremel as a lathe, and just put a bit of
something in the collet, and "turn to fit". *Should I worry about
toxic materials? *(This is going into a day care when/if I get it
done.)
-- *
pyotr filipivich.

If you have a headstock Morse adapter, a drill chuck is nice for
turning small parts.

Brass is toxic only in California.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jay Beldin" 9@9 on Wed, 10 Nov 2010 20:11:48 -0500 typed in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

It is a Battery powered unit. LOL.

I'm in one of those "It would probably be cheaper to get a new
clock, but it's the challenge!" phancies.

Oh, and the knob is about .250 dia, and the shaft is ~.15 dia. OAL
~.300

--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

If the clock is battery powered, it's likely to be metric:

Shaft: 4mm = 0.1575. (But 5/32"= 0.1563.)

Diameter: 6mm = 0.2362".

OAL: 8mm = 0.315"

Anyway, one can buy many kinds of metric knob, made of brass and
aluminum.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Oh, and the knob is about .250 dia, and the shaft is ~.15 dia. OAL
~.300

I'm looking at a floor lamp adjacent to my computer. It has a switch
that you turn (rotate) to light the lamp. This one is approximately
the size you describe, and made of brass colored metal.

Take a look around your house for something similar. Perhaps the
knob will be close enough.

technomaNge
--
I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Gratings

Lady friend picked up a clock at the thrift store. A very nice little
clock, save that it is missing the knob/gear to set the clock. It is
important, because w/o it the rest of the gear train doesn't stay
'rigid' and make the hands go round.
It looks to be a press fit, so either dimensions are important, or
I should consider a sort of spline to make sure it engages.

I'm thinking I can use a Dremel as a lathe, and just put a bit of
something in the collet, and "turn to fit". Should I worry about
toxic materials? (This is going into a day care when/if I get it
done.)

news:alt.horology might be able to help.

enough left over to pay them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

KD7HB on Wed, 10 Nov 2010 10:37:01 -0800 (PST)
[...]

the knob and the shaft, although the shaft is the "critical part".