DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   DB connectors (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/312853-db-connectors.html)

Rich Grise November 4th 10 01:09 AM

DB connectors

On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 20:51:10 -0500, Karl Townsend wrote:

I need to make up connectors like you see on the back of a computer. My
servo amps have a couple 2 row 15 pin, a 2 row 25 pin, and a 3 row 26 pin
places to connect.

I'm seeing a bewildering number of possibilities in digikey. FWIW the
connector plug I'm after is similar to this pictu
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=A32073-ND

or digikey part A32073-ND. I'm not after this part, just trying to show
the connector.

I'm not at all good at soldering in tight places. I much prefer something
that can be made up by crimping. I have a Molex type crimp tool.

can someone suggest a good series of parts for this?

This might give you a starting point:
http://www.tycoelectronics.com/catal...ML=19138,19229

Good Luck!
Rich

Dave B[_3_] November 4th 10 02:11 AM

DB connectors

wrote:

I need to make up connectors like you see on the back of a computer.
My servo amps have a couple 2 row 15 pin, a 2 row 25 pin, and a 3 row
26 pin places to connect.

I'm seeing a bewildering number of possibilities in digikey. FWIW the
connector plug I'm after is similar to this pictu
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=A32073-ND

or digikey part A32073-ND. I'm not after this part, just trying to
show the connector.

I'm not at all good at soldering in tight places. I much prefer
something that can be made up by crimping. I have a Molex type crimp
tool.

can someone suggest a good series of parts for this?

Karl

Karl
Have you ever used Mouser?
Mouser.com

http://www.mouser.com/Interconnects/...z0vlpeZ1z0wxom

Regards

Karl Townsend November 4th 10 02:31 AM

DB connectors

wrote:

[...]

OK, I selected crimp, then male and got this is the first part:
617-09-56-200-5601

Now do i need some sort of shell, some kind of pins, missing anything
else? Any special tool?

Karl

Karl Townsend November 4th 10 02:38 AM

DB connectors

wrote:

[...]

Just looked some more I think maybe crimp is for ribbon cable?? I have
individual wires.

karl

Dave B[_3_] November 4th 10 02:44 AM

DB connectors

On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 21:38:12 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

617-09-56-200-5601

I always solder but here are the tools

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...hrlJlwWrEuw%3d

db

Dave B[_3_] November 4th 10 02:46 AM

DB connectors

On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 21:38:12 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

617-09-56-200-5601

Make sure you look close at the tools as they are expensive.

I had ribbon cabbles made up today 2 @ 15 each took 10 minutes and
saved me a headache.

db

Karl Townsend November 4th 10 02:51 AM

DB connectors

On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 18:09:05 -0700, Rich Grise
wrote:

[...]

I found a kit
http://www.tycoelectronics.com/catal...595,402596&N=6

This kit looks great, i'd have everyting i need.

can't see how to navigate to get the right number of pins. AND they
don't give prices withoug a major log in event. They won't get my
business.

Karl

Dave B[_3_] November 4th 10 02:51 AM

DB connectors

wrote:

[...]

I have a good crimper I suppose i could use it for that if I had the
correct die.
After soldering connectors for many moons it never crosses my mind
although crimp is nicer (neater) once you have the tool it last's a
lifetime.

db

Pete C. November 4th 10 03:01 AM

DB connectors

wrote:

[...]

I'm pretty sure they don't sell direct anyway. Digi-Key will have all
you need. Just find the style of connector shells you like and the
matching crimp pins. Easy stuff, and yes, the crimp pins are a lot
easier to work with than the fixed solder cup connectors. Being the
backup for your backup type, I tend to solder the pins after crimping
them. Never had a problem with them. Be sure to get one of the pin
removal tools as well in case you miss the correct hole and need to get
the pin back out.

Michael A. Terrell November 4th 10 03:13 AM

DB connectors

Karl Townsend wrote:

I need to make up connectors like you see on the back of a computer.
My servo amps have a couple 2 row 15 pin, a 2 row 25 pin, and a 3 row
26 pin places to connect.

I'm seeing a bewildering number of possibilities in digikey. FWIW the
connector plug I'm after is similar to this pictu
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=A32073-ND

or digikey part A32073-ND. I'm not after this part, just trying to
show the connector.

I'm not at all good at soldering in tight places. I much prefer
something that can be made up by crimping. I have a Molex type crimp
tool.

Karl, they aren't that hard to solder if you pretin the wire & the
terminal in the connector. Then put a drop of RMA liquid rosin flux on
the terminal. Hold the tinned wire against the notch in the terminal &
reheat. The wire will pus into the notch and you will have a clean
joint without burning anything. make sure you use good solder, like
Ersin (Multicore). Cheap solder is no bargain at any price.

I just clamp the connector in a small, smooth jawed drill press vise
so i don't have to chase it around the bench. If I have many to do, I
clamp a mating conncetor in the vise to safe time.

I can show you how when you pass through Ocala in a couple weeks if
you'd like. I could even make the cables for you if your wire isn't
already part of a machine.

enough left over to pay them.

Karl Townsend November 4th 10 03:36 AM

DB connectors

On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 23:13:32 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

[...]

I just selected a bunch of solder type from digikey. I'll hire it out
locally. I don't even try to solder anything smaller than #18 wire and
it has to be to a through hole type pin. Its a skill I was poor at
years ago, and I got worse.

karl

Rich Grise November 4th 10 03:38 AM

DB connectors

Karl Townsend wrote:

[...]

I always prefered the solder type, since they are easy to modify or
re use. :)

I was partial to the crimp&shove type, primarily because one day some AMP
rep gave me a crimper that would cost about $300.00 if you bought it. ;-)

And these things are almost free:
http://www.tecratools.com/product1199.html

Cheers!
Rich

Rich Grise November 4th 10 03:45 AM

DB connectors

On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 21:38:12 -0500, Karl Townsend wrote:

Just looked some more I think maybe crimp is for ribbon cable?? I have
individual wires.

No, for ribbon you use IDC (Insulation Displacement Connectors).

For wires, you use individual pins, which usually come on a strip.

Do some googling, maybe for D-Sub tutorial?

Holy crap!
http://www.l-com.com/content/D-Submi...-Tutorial.html

;-)

Have Fun!
Rich

Rich Grise November 4th 10 03:50 AM

DB connectors

On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 22:01:00 -0500, Pete C. wrote:

I'm pretty sure they don't sell direct anyway. Digi-Key will have all you
need. Just find the style of connector shells you like and the matching
crimp pins. Easy stuff, and yes, the crimp pins are a lot easier to work
with than the fixed solder cup connectors. Being the backup for your
backup type, I tend to solder the pins after crimping them. Never had a
problem with them. Be sure to get one of the pin removal tools as well in
case you miss the correct hole and need to get the pin back out.

This reminds me. If there's a lot of mechanical motion, the wires can
break off at the pins, so you'd need the tool to pop them out; to prevent
this, if there's an option available, get pins "with insulation support."
There's one crimp around the wire, and a slightly larger crimp around the
insulation, to act as sort of a strain relief.

Cheers!
Rich

Karl Townsend November 4th 10 10:48 AM

DB connectors

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the mouser link. I got up this morning and quickly selected
crimp connectors for just a few bucks. same stuff was $30 each at
digikey. I just placed an order and I'll crimp as best I can with
what I got and then solder reinforce. There's only four contacts used
in each plug.

thanks again

Karl

axolotl[_2_] November 4th 10 11:15 AM

DB connectors

On 11/3/2010 11:36 PM, Karl Townsend wrote:

I just selected a bunch of solder type from digikey. I'll hire it out
locally. I don't even try to solder anything smaller than #18 wire and
it has to be to a through hole type pin. Its a skill I was poor at
years ago, and I got worse.

There is another assembly option. Some places mass terminate solder cup
type connectors using solder sleeves- a short piece of shrink tubing
with a stripe of solder paste on the inside (Raychem is one
manufacturer). Put the connector in a vise, put a solder barrel over
each connector solder cup, strip the wire and poke it down into the
desired solder cup. The solder barrel is able to hold the wire in place
until all the wires are positioned. Hit the connector with a heat gun.
The solder barrels shrink and the solder paste inside them melts, flows,
and makes the connection. You end up with tight insulated connections.

Kevin Gallimore

Jim Wilkins November 4th 10 11:22 AM

DB connectors

On Nov 3, 11:13*pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
* I just clamp the connector in a small, smooth jawed drill press vise
so i don't have to chase it around the bench. *If I have many to do, I
clamp a mating conncetor in the vise to safe time.

I use a small one like this:
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PARTPG=INLMK32

Stand the vise on end so the solder cups are horizontal with the notch
up, and weight the wire to stay in place. Don't forget the heatshrink.
The vise puts the work low enought that you can rest your hand on the
bench to steady it.

DB connectors are a vacation at the beach compared to Lemo and Binder
solder connectors:
http://www.binder-usa.com/psearch_detail.php?pid=6674

Except for not touching the tip I find puddle control for soldering
and TIG welding very similar. I practiced joining 4130 tubing for the
first time at school last night.

jsw

Winston November 4th 10 01:23 PM

DB connectors

Karl Townsend wrote:

(...)

Now do i need some sort of shell, some kind of pins, missing anything
else? Any special tool?

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...XQLen2Gi 4%3d

Mouser 530-40-9558M are pre-crimped.

You click the proper connector into the proper hole,
fasten the hood in place and plug an RJ-45 modular
cable in back.

Bob's Your Uncle.

--Winston

Wild_Bill November 4th 10 03:58 PM

DB connectors

Another method of wiring connectors with lots of contacts is resistance
soldering where a tweezer-type tool heats the connection with a very low
voltage, moderately high current that passes thru the contact's solder cup,
creating very localized heat.

The wire ends are stripped and tinned, and the solder cups at the ends of
the contacts are tinned and partially filled with solder.

The tweezers are "pinched" onto the contact (each side of the solder cup),
the resistance soldering station is energized (foot switch, typically), and
the tinned wire end is pushed into the molten solder puddle in the cup as
the heat increases to the flow temperature of the solder.

The current beiefly passes thru the contact, solder and wire end until the
operator releases the foot switch, and then moves the tweezer tips to the
next solder cup to repeat the process.

The tweezer tips only need to be kept clean (not tinned) so they can provide
a good electrical connection with the contact or terminal to be soldered.

Te resistance soldering station provides a line/mains-isolated low voltage
from a transformer that may have a variable duty cycle triac circuit, to
adjust how fast the heat is generated in the contact.
The variable duty cycle allows the operator to adjust/tune for different
sized connections (very light duty for miniature contacts, or more sustained
current cycles for heavy duty terminals).

--
WB

[email protected] November 4th 10 04:49 PM

DB connectors

connector plug I'm after is similar to this pictuhttp://search.digikey..com/scripts/D...tail&name=A320...

or digikey part A32073-ND. I'm not after this part, just trying to
show the connector.

I'm not at all good at soldering in tight places. I much prefer
something that can be made up by crimping. I have a Molex type crimp
tool.

can someone suggest a good series of parts for this?

Karl

Having soldered and crimped literally hundreds of DB-25s, I can say
crimping is much faster, tool is much more expensive, though. If
you're going to use this stuff on anything with a lot of vibration, go
for the crimp. Eventually a soldered wire joint will fail just above
where the pin is soldered on, given enough vibration. Found that out
on the VW injection harness...

The pins are NOT Molex pins, you'll need either a different set of
dies or a whole new crimper. Prices are all over the place depending
on who's name is branded on its butt. Pins are pretty cheap, though.
You'll want the special gizmo to remove pins, you WILL get one in the
wrong hole eventually, trust me on this. Easier to swap crimped pins
than to unsolder and resolder solder pot connectors.

Solder-pot connectors aren't that hard to do, it's just tedious work,
tin wires, tin the pot, insert wire while heating pin, repeat ad
nauseum. Helps to have the connector held in a vise, but I've done it
hand-held.

If you really want to do a posh job, a short length of shrink tube
right over the joints is the finishing touch. Gives a bit of strain
relief and a bit of protection should something conductive make its
way in.

Stan

Tim Wescott November 4th 10 07:19 PM

DB connectors

On 11/03/2010 06:51 PM, Karl Townsend wrote:
I need to make up connectors like you see on the back of a computer.
My servo amps have a couple 2 row 15 pin, a 2 row 25 pin, and a 3 row
26 pin places to connect.

I'm seeing a bewildering number of possibilities in digikey. FWIW the
connector plug I'm after is similar to this pictu
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=A32073-ND

or digikey part A32073-ND. I'm not after this part, just trying to
show the connector.

I'm not at all good at soldering in tight places. I much prefer
something that can be made up by crimping. I have a Molex type crimp
tool.

can someone suggest a good series of parts for this?

Crimpers for those things need to be high quality, and the decent ones
cost $$$.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Michael A. Terrell November 4th 10 08:39 PM

DB connectors

Jim Wilkins wrote:

On Nov 3, 11:13 pm, "Michael A. Terrell" ?
wrote:
? ...
[...]

The worst were cables for old TV studio cameras with a lot of coax
and different sized pins. It could take you days to do one plug. :(

RCA was bad enough, but I've heard that the Philips cables were so
bad that guys would threaten to quit before they would repair one.

enough left over to pay them.

Michael A. Terrell November 4th 10 08:42 PM

DB connectors

Jim Wilkins wrote:

On Nov 3, 11:13 pm, "Michael A. Terrell" ?
wrote:
? ...
? I just clamp the connector in a small, smooth jawed drill press vise
? so i don't have to chase it around the bench. If I have many to do, I
? clamp a mating connector in the vise to save time.
? ...

I use a small one like this:
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PARTPG=INLMK32

I get:

'The Enco Model Number that you entered could not be located.'

enough left over to pay them.

Jim Wilkins November 4th 10 09:26 PM

DB connectors

On Nov 4, 4:42*pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Jim Wilkins wrote:

On Nov 3, 11:13 pm, "Michael A. Terrell" ?
? ...

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...O=24730466?PAR...

* *I get:

* *'The Enco Model Number that you entered could not be located.'

Try searching for MSC 56451263:
http://metalworking.mscdirect.com/CG...MPXNO=17738631
Better price,too.

jsw

Michael A. Terrell November 4th 10 09:48 PM

DB connectors

wrote:
Jim Wilkins wrote:

On Nov 3, 11:13 pm, "Michael A. Terrell" ?
wrote:
? ...
? I just clamp the connector in a small, smooth jawed drill press vise
? so i don't have to chase it around the bench. If I have many to do, I
? clamp a mating connector in the vise to save time.
? ...

I use a small one like this:
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...O=24730466?PAR...

I get:

'The Enco Model Number that you entered could not be located.'

Try searching for MSC 56451263:
http://metalworking.mscdirect.com/CG...MPXNO=17738631
Better price,too.

That link worked.

Similar to the 4" one I use, and it cost me $7 new. :)

enough left over to pay them.

Karl Townsend November 4th 10 11:39 PM

DB connectors

wrote:
Jim Wilkins wrote:

On Nov 3, 11:13 pm, "Michael A. Terrell" ?
wrote:
? ...
? I just clamp the connector in a small, smooth jawed drill press vise
? so i don't have to chase it around the bench. If I have many to do, I
? clamp a mating connector in the vise to save time.
? ...

I use a small one like this:
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...O=24730466?PAR...

I get:

'The Enco Model Number that you entered could not be located.'

Try searching for MSC 56451263:
http://metalworking.mscdirect.com/CG...MPXNO=17738631
Better price,too.

That link worked.

Similar to the 4" one I use, and it cost me $7 new. :)

I got mine for free. it was my first machine shop project in 1974 for
my manufacturing engineer design and build class. We started by
casting the AL frame. Our team must have spent 400 hours setting up
and making a dozen. No such thing as an NC machine in that class. The
whole point of the class was to set up small scale manufacturing.

That class is when my love affair with metal mangling, and the
machines that do it, began.

karl

Karl

Larry Jaques[_3_] November 4th 10 11:43 PM

DB connectors

wrote:
Jim Wilkins wrote:

On Nov 3, 11:13 pm, "Michael A. Terrell" ?
wrote:
? ...
? * I just clamp the connector in a small, smooth jawed drill press vise
? so i don't have to chase it around the bench. *If I have many to do, I
? clamp a mating connector in the vise to save time.
? ...

I use a small one like this:
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...O=24730466?PAR...

* *I get:

* *'The Enco Model Number that you entered could not be located.'

Try searching for MSC 56451263:
http://metalworking.mscdirect.com/CG...MPXNO=17738631
Better price,too.

Excellent price. I paid $30 for a 3" sine from 800watt on eBay a few
years ago.

--
Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills.
-- Minna Thomas Antrim

Karl Townsend November 4th 10 11:44 PM

DB connectors

On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 12:19:48 -0700, Tim Wescott
wrote:

On 11/03/2010 06:51 PM, Karl Townsend wrote:
I need to make up connectors like you see on the back of a computer.
My servo amps have a couple 2 row 15 pin, a 2 row 25 pin, and a 3 row
26 pin places to connect.

I'm seeing a bewildering number of possibilities in digikey. FWIW the
connector plug I'm after is similar to this pictu
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=A32073-ND

or digikey part A32073-ND. I'm not after this part, just trying to
show the connector.

I'm not at all good at soldering in tight places. I much prefer
something that can be made up by crimping. I have a Molex type crimp
tool.

can someone suggest a good series of parts for this?

Crimpers for those things need to be high quality, and the decent ones
cost $$$.

I guess I'll find out. I plan to crimp them with whatever I can come
up with and then solder before inserting. Total cost was under $20 so
I'm not out much if it don't work. Plan "B" would be to hire the job
out and get the solder type.

Karl

Michael A. Terrell November 4th 10 11:52 PM

DB connectors

wrote:
Jim Wilkins wrote:

On Nov 3, 11:13 pm, "Michael A. Terrell" ?
wrote:
? ...
[...]

400 hours over 12 units isn't really free. ;)

I had mine and was using it in under an hour. :)

enough left over to pay them.

Tim Wescott November 5th 10 01:54 AM

DB connectors

wrote:

[...]

The pins have a round barrel into which you insert the wire. The
crimper pushes four hardened pins into the barrel, dimpling it and
pressing it onto the wire. Tres fancy. Because the barrel of the pin
extends down into the hole in the housing you can't just crimp it by
crushing it -- you have to do something that'll make it grip the wire
without deforming it to the point where it won't go into its hole.

(I think the barrel is relieved where the crimper dimples it, so any
little 'outies' don't interfere with putting it into the housing).

How far out in the boonies are you? Any electronics place that deals
with DB connectors has a chance at having the crimper; if there's a
contract cable assembly guy near you he'd probably be happy to make them up.

Note: I'd solder them myself, but I solder all the time. If I had to
hire it done I'd either make damn sure the guy understood crimped DB
connections, or I'd hire a kid to do the soldering and I'd stand over
him for the first few connectors to make sure they were right. If I
made more than 10 cables a year I'd probably buy a crimper -- but I make
less than 1, on average.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Karl Townsend November 5th 10 02:13 AM

DB connectors

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info. i can duplicate that easily. I'll drill a hole in
scrap stock to hold the pin. Then a cross hole to hold a center punch.
Put wire and pin in there and give it a slight whack for an indent.
Then solder it.

karl

Martin Eastburn November 5th 10 02:32 AM

DB connectors

So it seems simple - two 25pin D's and one 37 pin D.
Another option is all in one socket.

Molex is another option. Round Cannon is another option.

D's require a D shaped hole while cannon are screw on and are round
holes. Molex is typically square.

Consider the holes you have to mount them into.
Each end could be different - matching the machine to machine.

Martin

Wild_Bill November 5th 10 05:32 AM

DB connectors

The typical sub-D contacts that I'm familiar with use a different crimper
than described, Tim.

Typical contacts for commercial grade sub-D connectors are similar to Molex
contacts, but much smaller.. but they also have two sets of tabs that form U
shapes, one where the stripped wire gets crimped, and the second set for
gripping the wire's insulation.

The cross-section of the crimp area for the wire looks like the tabs rolled
in to form someting like a 3 with a radius at the opening of the 3.
The better quality crimpers will be compound-action types with ratcheting
mechanisms to insure a full cycle, and numerous brands are good ones.. AMP,
Black Box, Sargent, etc (all made in U.S.A.).

A simple scissor-type crimp tool will likely produce inconsistent crimps..
some may be OK, others may separate from the wire or be loosely crimped to
the wire strands.

The crimper you described is generally for (fully round) machined contacts
with heavier wall thicknesses, as used in high reliability avionics-type or
aircraft circular connectors, but also used in higher quality sub-D
connectors.
Those crimpers sorta resemble a Buchanan splice crimper with an extension
tube protruding from one side (Daniels tool, etc).
The higher quality contacts are much better quality that typical commercial
grade contacts which are stamped and formed from thin sheet brass.

You're definitely correct about not crushing the crimp areas with an
incorrect tool, as the widening of the contact will interfere with proper
installation, and the contacts are supposed to somewhat float in the
connector bodies, but have good alignment.

For myself, soldering pre-assembled connectors is quicker than crimping, and
a proper soldering job should be more reliable than crimping for someone
that doesn't have some crimping experience, and definitely more reliable
than trying to improvise a good crimp without the proper crimp tool.

--
WB

Karl Townsend November 5th 10 11:49 AM

DB connectors

Some possibilities above -- depending on which style of crimp
you need.

Good Luck,
DoN.

DoN, I've only got four pins to connect so the ribbon option is out.
This is a one time job so I don't want to spend a fortune. I'd like to
buy the tool on eBay, if you wouldn't mind pointing out the correct
tool.

See my other response to your other post.

Karl

DoN, I've been surfing for crimp tool and found this:
http://www.dataaccessories.com/dsub.html

The pins sure look like a molex type to me on the page. Anyway, I'll
pop for $50 if this solves my little problem.

Karl

James Waldby November 5th 10 06:18 PM

DB connectors

On Fri, 05 Nov 2010 06:49:29 -0500, Karl Townsend wrote:
Karl Townsend wrote:
DoN wrote:

Some possibilities above -- depending on which style of crimp
you need.

DoN, I've only got four pins to connect so the ribbon option is out.
This is a one time job so I don't want to spend a fortune. I'd like to
buy the tool on eBay, if you wouldn't mind pointing out the correct
tool.

DoN, I've been surfing for crimp tool and found this:
http://www.dataaccessories.com/dsub.html

The pins sure look like a molex type to me on the page. Anyway, I'll pop
for $50 if this solves my little problem.

The T3002 D-Sub Crimp Tool (last item at that link) probably is what
DoN referred to as a "scissors type" crimp tool. IIRC, he suggested
it won't work well in comparison with Daniels or AMP crimpers when
they are used with correct pins. (Daniels are in several current
ebay auctions, eg 150511878340 and 190461084132.)

Anyhow, to the point. I have a crimp tool like T3002 and male and
female pins like are sold at the link, plus DB9 and DB25 shells for
same and have had bad luck with them. For example, loose wires in
crimp, pins not retained in shell, bent pins.

For the few cables and low pin-counts you've mentioned, try solder
cup connectors. Sacrifice half a dozen connectors for soldering
practice -- eg make up several short gender changers and jumpers or
test sets. Slide inch-long pieces of 1/10" heat shrink tubing onto
each wire before connecting it, and some 1/4" over all the wires,
also before connecting. See links below for details.

What gauge are the wires? How long is each of them? Do you
need to terminate the wires in place, or can you string a
pre-constructed cable? Do you know what kind of signal the
wires carry? (Eg, servo voltage or current, switch closures,
pulse train, serial RS232/422/488)

Links about soldering cable connectors -- containing both good
and bad advice --
http://www.matronics.com/aeroelectric/articles/dsubs/d_solder.html
http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/xlr_cable.html
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/geekslutz-forum/367614-db25-soldering-tips.html
http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/sound-music-intercom/296-soldering-xlr.html

--
jiw

Rich Grise[_3_] November 5th 10 06:37 PM

DB connectors

Karl Townsend wrote:
DoN wrote:
Some possibilities above -- depending on which style of crimp
you need.

DoN, I've only got four pins to connect so the ribbon option is out.
This is a one time job so I don't want to spend a fortune. I'd like to
buy the tool on eBay, if you wouldn't mind pointing out the correct
tool.

See my other response to your other post.

DoN, I've been surfing for crimp tool and found this:
http://www.dataaccessories.com/dsub.html

The pins sure look like a molex type to me on the page. Anyway, I'll
pop for $50 if this solves my little problem.

The pins have the same form factor, aspect ratio, etc. as Molex pins,
but they're about 1/2 to 1/3 the size. And all the Molex pins I've seen have
been tin-plated, while most D-sub pins I've seen are either brassy or gold
plated.

By this time, I'd have ordered some pins and shells (be sure you get the
right male/female combination) and squashed them with my needle-nose
pliers. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Tim Wescott November 5th 10 06:44 PM

DB connectors

On 2010-11-05, Karl wrote:
On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 18:54:04 -0700, Tim
wrote:

[ ... ]

The pins have a round barrel into which you insert the wire. The
crimper pushes four hardened pins into the barrel, dimpling it and
pressing it onto the wire. Tres fancy. Because the barrel of the pin
extends down into the hole in the housing you can't just crimp it by
crushing it -- you have to do something that'll make it grip the wire
without deforming it to the point where it won't go into its hole.

(I think the barrel is relieved where the crimper dimples it, so any
little 'outies' don't interfere with putting it into the housing).

[ ... ]

Thanks for the info. i can duplicate that easily. I'll drill a hole in
scrap stock to hold the pin. Then a cross hole to hold a center punch.
Put wire and pin in there and give it a slight whack for an indent.
Then solder it.

NO!

1) Note that he said *four* hardened pins -- pushing equally from
four sides at 90 degree intervals, so the pin stays centered.

If you do it with a center punch, things will be deformed in
such a way that they won't go into the hole in the connector
body well.

2) The same with solder. (Aside from not having access for the
solder to the actual joint which is buried down in the tube, not
out where you can get to it.)

And the solder will bulge out as well, to make it not fit well
in the connector body hole.

*And* -- you won't be able to extract pins which wind up in the
wrong hole when (not if) you get one wrong. (You do need the
insertion/extraction tool to go with the pins.)

There are two styles of pins to consider.

Not to mention that the last 1/8" or so of the pin body is supposed to
receive the insulation, for strain relief -- solder a wire straight into
the pin and it'll just break off right at the pin.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services