Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Remote grease fittings Metric

I'm having a heck of a time finding materials to construct remote grease zerks in a motion
system. The linear bearings use a 6 mm x 0.75 zerk and the ball screws use a 6 x 1.0 mm
zerk.

I'd like to install remote lines so I can grease things with out having to remove covers
or crawl inside or on top of this machine.

Any tips on suppliers? I'm not googling worth a cr p on this.

Thanks,

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 19, 3:31*pm, Wes wrote:
I'm having a heck of a time finding materials to construct remote grease zerks in a motion
system. *The linear bearings use a 6 mm x 0.75 zerk and the ball screws use a 6 x 1.0 mm
zerk. *

I'd like to install remote lines so I can grease things with out having to remove covers
or crawl inside or on top of this machine.

Remote lines usually are for oil lubrication, the required pressure
for forcing grease through small tubes can exceed the retention
force of the little 'clip' on a Zerk grease gun. High pressure
grease
fittings often come with helical (or double helix) mating between
the grease gun and fitting.

Can you arrange the fittings to be accessible with a long-nose grease
gun?
The larger pipe behind the Zerk tip of the grease gun doesn't give as
much backpressure. The fitting has to be cleaned of dirt before
you add grease, of course.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

whit3rd wrote:

On Sep 19, 3:31*pm, Wes wrote:
I'm having a heck of a time finding materials to construct remote grease zerks in a motion
system. *The linear bearings use a 6 mm x 0.75 zerk and the ball screws use a 6 x 1.0 mm
zerk. *

I'd like to install remote lines so I can grease things with out having to remove covers
or crawl inside or on top of this machine.

Remote lines usually are for oil lubrication, the required pressure
for forcing grease through small tubes can exceed the retention
force of the little 'clip' on a Zerk grease gun. High pressure
grease
fittings often come with helical (or double helix) mating between
the grease gun and fitting.

Can you arrange the fittings to be accessible with a long-nose grease
gun?

The bearings I'm trying to lubricate don't have a lot of resistance. I used to maintain a
Makino A55 that had remote grease lines to linear bearing blocks and the ball nut that
looked like a typical nylon air line.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 16:32:43 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd
wrote:

On Sep 19, 3:31*pm, Wes wrote:
[...]

There is nothing wrong with using oil instead of grease on linear ways
and bearings.

Though it does get far more messy.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 20:28:57 -0400, Wes
wrote:

whit3rd wrote:

On Sep 19, 3:31*pm, Wes wrote:
[...]

Grease..or oil?

Most machine tools I deal with use oil only.