Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Air conditioning the boat?

It has only been 110 for 30 days now...

I'd like to adapt an inexpensive window air conditioner to
built-in.

The first step was to make a door for the companionway that
the AC unit can sit in. It worked out pretty well, and the
top companionway board fits on top to close off the opening.
Slide the hatch closed and it cools right down!

But that means 1) climbing cover the AC unit to get in or out
of the cabin.

And 2) it blows tons of hot air across the cockpit.

The biggest problem (as I see it) is getting the hot air out.

I wonder what ducting would do to that hot side transfer.
It couldn't be good...
And I'd not like to cut a hole the size of a window unit in the hull!

So...

Marine AC units usually use a water bath to cool the condenser
coils. Pump fresh water into a tank holding the coils and the
warm water goes over the side. That means a hole in the hull with
a thru-hull valve on it for a pickup, and an exit hole above the
waterline.

The rest should be pretty straight forward.

Unless I'm missing something really big??

--

Richard Lamb

RC Boat hiruma222 Electronics Repair 0 September 2nd 07 03:28 AM
RC Boat hiruma222 Electronics Repair 0 September 2nd 07 03:27 AM
Need a Boat? Stoutman Woodworking 21 December 19th 06 10:22 PM
PAY - ICE BOAT J T Woodworking 0 January 13th 05 02:29 PM
ICE BOAT J T Woodworking 0 January 13th 05 02:26 PM