Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller Gerald Miller is offline

Default Air conditioning the boat?

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 22:01:05 -0500, Ignoramus25139

On 2010-08-22, cavelamb wrote:
It has only been 110 for 30 days now...

I'd like to adapt an inexpensive window air conditioner to
built-in.

The first step was to make a door for the companionway that
the AC unit can sit in. It worked out pretty well, and the
top companionway board fits on top to close off the opening.
Slide the hatch closed and it cools right down!

But that means 1) climbing cover the AC unit to get in or out
of the cabin.

And 2) it blows tons of hot air across the cockpit.

The biggest problem (as I see it) is getting the hot air out.

I wonder what ducting would do to that hot side transfer.
It couldn't be good...
And I'd not like to cut a hole the size of a window unit in the hull!

So...

Marine AC units usually use a water bath to cool the condenser
coils. Pump fresh water into a tank holding the coils and the
warm water goes over the side. That means a hole in the hull with
a thru-hull valve on it for a pickup, and an exit hole above the
waterline.

The rest should be pretty straight forward.

Unless I'm missing something really big??

Using water for cooling is the way to go. You already do it with the
motor.

Or get hold of one of the portable units that use two 4" plastic duct
to inlet/outlet cooling air.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada