Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default ER Collet Experts...

I can hold a round shank in an ER-style collet.

I can hold a round shank and square tap shank at the same time in an
ER-style collet...

....Anyone know of a manufacturer making ER-style collets to hold hex shank
tooling?

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

None that I know of

You could hold them in a chuck

or round off the end of the shank in a lathe

good luck

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 10:05:01 -0400, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

I can hold a round shank in an ER-style collet.

I can hold a round shank and square tap shank at the same time in an
ER-style collet...

...Anyone know of a manufacturer making ER-style collets to hold hex shank
tooling?

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 10:05:01 -0400, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:
snip
...Anyone know of a manufacturer making ER-style collets to hold hex shank
tooling?

snip
How about EDMing one with a smaller hole?

-- Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"fleetwood" wrote in message

None that I know of

You could hold them in a chuck

Not possible. I'm looking for close C-C spacing on multiple tools. The
chuck is larger than the tool and the tools almost touch.

or round off the end of the shank in a lathe

Was considering it. Add a flat and a set screw farther down my spindle
(already stock) and that might work.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote:

...Anyone know of a manufacturer making ER-style collets to hold hex shank
tooling?

What qualities does the hex shank add to this process? I'd love to understand the
reasoning behind this.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

What's that Lassie? You say that Joe AutoDrill fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Fri, 13 Aug 2010 10:05:01 -0400:

...Anyone know of a manufacturer making ER-style collets to hold hex shank
tooling?

Nope. But if your hex is small enough, you might press it into a
sleeve that will fit in the largest ER collet your tool holder takes.

IE: press a 1/4" hex shank into a 10mm OD sleeve to be held by a ER16
collet.

--

Dan H.
northshore MA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What qualities does the hex shank add to this process? I'd love to
understand the
reasoning behind this.

The customer is buying a higher-end multiple spindle head product I offer
with ER style collets on somewhere around 2" C-C spacing.

He works in very, very high volume wood applciations and has decided to get
away from their treaded and 10mm round shank tooling (industry standard
there...)

The tooling he uses is similar to a hole saw you would run in a hand drill
but made for higer end work by Milwaukee. He does not want to go to custom
tooling and this tooling happens to be made specifically for key-type
chucks.

Key-type chucks have a drawback in that dust, wood debris or even small
chips can get in past the jaws and into the internals and ruin them over
time. The ER style collets fix that problem for the customer but create the
next problem which is what I am trying to solve here.

The hex shank qualties added are inexpensive and readily available toolign
that is tried and tested industry-wide by others.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:http://www.AutoDrill.com
Multiple Spindle Drills:http://www.Multi-Drill.com
VIDEOS:http://www.youtube.com/user/AutoDrill
TWITTER:http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK:http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

V8013-R

You might try contacting Maritool.com see if Frank can get them for
you.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-16, Joe AutoDrill wrote:
What qualities does the hex shank add to this process? I'd love to
understand the
reasoning behind this.

Hex shanks are nice for gripping in standard drill chucks,
because they grip on flats, and thus avoid slipping.

The customer is buying a higher-end multiple spindle head product I offer
with ER style collets on somewhere around 2" C-C spacing.

[ ... ]

The tooling he uses is similar to a hole saw you would run in a hand drill
but made for higer end work by Milwaukee. He does not want to go to custom
tooling and this tooling happens to be made specifically for key-type
chucks.

Key-type chucks have a drawback in that dust, wood debris or even small
chips can get in past the jaws and into the internals and ruin them over
time. The ER style collets fix that problem for the customer but create the
next problem which is what I am trying to solve here.

The hex shank qualties added are inexpensive and readily available toolign
that is tried and tested industry-wide by others.

Hmm ... perhaps you need someone with a EDM to make hex holes in
the round ones in the ER collets.

Make sure to align the corners of the hex with the front slots
of the collets -- though this will still mean that the rear slots will
be on the flats. (Assuming that the size you use has six front slots and
six back ones. I'm upstairs, and my ER-25 collets are downstairs, so I
don't know for sure.)

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

OT - UPS - any experts out there ? Adrian Brentnall UK diy 66 November 25th 09 09:15 AM
Any RF experts about? PCPaul UK diy 10 May 1st 09 06:09 PM
Bison 5C collet chuck vs. Kalamazoo 1CC collet chuck vs. drawtube/ collet closer Louis Ohland Metalworking 2 August 2nd 07 02:35 AM
Need an experts help Chewbacca Home Repair 0 August 8th 06 02:35 PM
[OT] Any XP experts around? Terry Pinnell Electronics Repair 6 October 10th 04 10:06 PM