Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default More on compound angles

Here is the answer I was looking for some time back. It has been great
revision for me and I have had considerable help from a mathematics forum.

The problem was to find the set-up angles required to make a skewed milling
cut in a rectangular block following given angles on three of its surfaces.

Image he

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/r...=1281058640The desired angles are A, B and C in planes YOZ, XOZ and XOY respectively.This is a right handed coordinate system with angles X - Y, Y - Z and Z -X being +ve.1. Align vice jaws // X.2. Set block in vice so that line at angle A is // to XOY3. Tilt vice by angle D to XOY. WhereD = atan(cosAtanB)4. Rotate vice by angle E from XOZ. WhereE = atan(cosAsinC/(cosCcosD-sinAsinCsinD))John.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Machinist60" fired this volley in
:

Here is the answer I was looking for some time back. It has been great
revision for me and I have had considerable help from a mathematics forum

It's a great revision for me, too, to need considerable help from a
mathematics forum for something that has been tabulated for woodworkers for
over a century.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

What's that Lassie? You say that Machinist60 fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Thu, 5 Aug 2010 22:04:39 -0400:

Here is the answer I was looking for some time back. It has been great
revision for me and I have had considerable help from a mathematics forum.

The problem was to find the set-up angles required to make a skewed milling
cut in a rectangular block following given angles on three of its surfaces.

Image he

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/r...g?t=1281058640

Looks like you needed a space after your URL

--

Dan H.
northshore MA.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Another attempt to get the formatting right on Dan's advice. I searched up
and down and asked about this some time back. Nothing came to light, I
guess because this use group was not around a century ago and nor was I.

Here is the answer I was looking for some time back. It has been great
revision for me and I have had considerable help from a mathematics forum.

The problem was to find the set-up angles required to make a skewed milling
cut in a rectangular block following given angles on three of its surfaces.

Image he

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/r...=1281058640The desired angles are A, B and C in planes YOZ, XOZ and XOYrespectively.This is a right handed coordinate system with angles X - Y,Y - Z and Z -Xbeing +ve.1. Align vice jaws // X.2. Set block in vice so that line at angle A is // to XOY3. Tilt vice by angle D to XOY. Where D = atan(cosAtanB)4. Rotate vice by angle E from XOZ. Where E = atan(cosAsinC/(cosCcosD-sinAsinCsinD))John.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/r..._RT2354.jpg?t=....
desired angles are A, B and C in planes YOZ, XOZ and XOYrespectively.This
is a right handed coordinate system with angles X - Y,Y - Z and
Z -Xbeing +ve.1. Align vice jaws // X.2. Set block in vice so that line
at angle A is // to XOY3. Tilt vice by angle D to XOY. * * * *Where *D =
atan(cosAtanB)4. Rotate vice by angle E from XOZ. * * * *Where *E =
atan(cosAsinC/(cosCcosD-sinAsinCsinD))John.

Hmm, I seem to recall having learned this in high school; recently
had occasion to look at that text Practical Shop Mathematics Volume
II, by Wolfe & Phelps. Sure enough, compound angles are written up
inside the front and rear covers.

Those old practical math texts from the early 1960's have come in very
handy at times during my professional career... I still have All my
math and science/physics text books from grade 10 on. They are a
great help for a quick refresher on sometimes nebulous memories.

Wolfgang