Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

Default Subplates again....

What's that Lassie? You say that PrecisionmachinisT fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Wed, 4 Aug 2010 09:57:28 -0700:

Holes fill with chips and are a pain in the ass to clean out etc, so suggest
dont put any more holes in than is absolutely needed--instead, decide on a
basic pattern for the sub plate and then modify /fab your FIXTURES to match

Damn right. Especially steel chips.
Where I work, they use a grid of 1/2-13 holes in AL plate. Milled
flat in place, and drilled and tapped for helicoils.
The I have to make brass plugs that are slightly tapped to plug them
off flush with the plate. As needed they will add the helicoil
inserts.

Then I have to make up a bunch of plugs for 1/2-13 that will cover the
one turn of helicoil thread while going into the 1/2-13 thread.

When the plate gets worn or dinged, they fly cut .010-.020 off the top
(plugs and all) to true it up again.
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

What's that Lassie? You say that dan fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Wed, 04 Aug 2010 22:30:31 GMT:

The I have to make brass plugs that are slightly tapped to plug them
off flush with the plate.

That's tapered plugs. Not tapped.

--

Dan H.