Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Spring winding advice

I need to wind a couple of large-diameter, fine wire springs. (light
force, balancing device. And I cannot find any "stock" springs that fit
the bill)

I have good luck with wire that is larger, and whose elastic limit is
mightily overcome by the radius of the arbor. Then they relax only a
little, and come off the arbor a few percent larger than they were wound.
I have OK luck with very small diameter springs of fine wire.

But with 0.013" music wire, I'm having trouble getting the right arbor
size for a large-diameter spring. At anything near the desired size, the
wire is only slightly bent by the process; so I know I'll need a MUCH
smaller arbor -- but how small?

I need a spring es-aKly 5/8" o.d., 1-7/8" long, of twelve turns of
0.013" phosphated steel music wire.

Anyone have a rule-of-thumb for sizing the arbor for fine wire sizes?

Or, am I stuck trying 15-20 different diameters until something just
works?

LLoyd

42A WG/ 47 SWG coil winding N_Cook Electronics Repair 1 August 11th 09 08:53 AM
clock winding key sm_jamieson UK diy 10 June 29th 09 09:28 PM
Smelly water in underground spring-fed spring box, cistern [email protected] Home Repair 1 December 7th 08 04:32 PM
Winding Varnish ??? rijo Electronics Repair 7 January 16th 06 02:35 PM
winding a coil bigtom Electronics Repair 3 October 8th 05 12:30 AM