Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Soluble v straight cutting oil in low humidity

Hi All,

I live in the AZ High Desert and it is very low humidity (a bit high
at 31% at the moment) all year round. I have to replenish the water/
oil mix regularly as the water evaporates out pretty quickly. I was
about to order some more soluble cutting oil and thought I would ask
here first.

I am wondering if a straight cutting oil like Mobil 404 would last
longer, maybe indefinitely. I mostly cut aluminum on mills and lathes
so do not want any staining after machining.

Anyone have some low-cost favorite cutting oils?

Thanks

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 07/21/2010 10:32 AM, Dave, I can't do that wrote:
Hi All,

I live in the AZ High Desert and it is very low humidity (a bit high
at 31% at the moment) all year round. I have to replenish the water/
oil mix regularly as the water evaporates out pretty quickly. I was
about to order some more soluble cutting oil and thought I would ask
here first.

I am wondering if a straight cutting oil like Mobil 404 would last
longer, maybe indefinitely. I mostly cut aluminum on mills and lathes
so do not want any staining after machining.

Anyone have some low-cost favorite cutting oils?

Do you have to replenish the water/oil, or do you just need to add
distilled water to replace what was lost?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hi Tim,

Do you have to replenish the water/oil, or do you just need to add
distilled water to replace what was lost?

When the water evaporates it leaves a brown oil slick on the surface
that really does not mix back in very well so I skim that off. I
usually mix up a fresh gallon and pour it in the tank to make up the
level.

Using distilled water is a bit extreme though??? grin

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dave, I can't do that" wrote in message
Hi All,

I live in the AZ High Desert and it is very low humidity (a bit high
at 31% at the moment) all year round. I have to replenish the water/
oil mix regularly as the water evaporates out pretty quickly. I was
about to order some more soluble cutting oil and thought I would ask
here first.

I am wondering if a straight cutting oil like Mobil 404 would last
longer, maybe indefinitely. I mostly cut aluminum on mills and lathes
so do not want any staining after machining.

Anyone have some low-cost favorite cutting oils?

Thanks

Dave

Is there a way to better seal the tank? My grinder has a 40 gal tank and I
don't get any evaporation but we have to add a preservative or it gets
stinky.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Is there a way to better seal the tank? *My grinder has a 40 gal tank and I
don't get any evaporation but we have to add a preservative or it gets
stinky.

Hmm, not really the tank is pretty well sealed in the machine base,
probably 30+ gallons. The evaporation must be happening on the table
as that's the only time the fluid is exposed. The table drains have
hoses that take it straight back to the sump. We almost never have
overflowing into the base tray.

As for stinky, try using a fish-tank bubble from a pet store. It
oxygenates the water and stops the bacteria stagnating. Have not had
to use "the pill" for years.

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 13:13:41 -0700 (PDT), "Dave, I can't do that"
wrote:

Is there a way to better seal the tank? *My grinder has a 40 gal tank and I
don't get any evaporation but we have to add a preservative or it gets
stinky.

Hmm, not really the tank is pretty well sealed in the machine base,
probably 30+ gallons. The evaporation must be happening on the table
as that's the only time the fluid is exposed. The table drains have
hoses that take it straight back to the sump. We almost never have
overflowing into the base tray.

As for stinky, try using a fish-tank bubble from a pet store. It
oxygenates the water and stops the bacteria stagnating. Have not had
to use "the pill" for years.

Dave

Ayup. A cheap 110vt timer works great and you only need to run it about
3 hours a day in actuality. Timers are about $6 at Kmart etc etc if
that much.

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Is there a way to better seal the tank? ?My grinder has a 40 gal tank and I
don't get any evaporation but we have to add a preservative or it gets
stinky.

Hmm, not really the tank is pretty well sealed in the machine base,
probably 30+ gallons. The evaporation must be happening on the table
as that's the only time the fluid is exposed. The table drains have
hoses that take it straight back to the sump. We almost never have
overflowing into the base tray.

As for stinky, try using a fish-tank bubble from a pet store. It
oxygenates the water and stops the bacteria stagnating. Have not had
to use "the pill" for years.

Dave

Ayup. A cheap 110vt timer works great and you only need to run it about
3 hours a day in actuality. Timers are about $6 at Kmart etc etc if
that much.

Actually even 15 minutes per day solves the problem.