Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default For you military people

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 10:12:48 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

My sister is obtaining copies of my late father's military medals, he was in
the USAC before it was the USAF. They were distinguished service medals and
crosses. The copies of his records survived the fire that wiped out
thousands, and still have burn marks on them.

The Kansas City fire...sorry to hear about that.

How would I go about finding the exact set of circumstances and battles and
his acts that earned him these medals? There are about six medals in all,
mostly big ones. From what I have read so far, a couple of these are right
below the Medal of Honor. He used to have a book with all the stuff they
had on the front of their uniform, and it was like 3" square. Never said a
word about his service, a flight engineer on bombers in the South Pacific.
He probably saw plenty.

This has been a very very very long process now, stretching into two years.
Anyone give me any shortcuts on the new search? How about getting a
chronology of his time in the service?

TIA
I appreciate it greatly.

Steve