Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Family time adive. (Mechanical in nature).

Been trying to think of things to do as a family. My 5 year old has a
chinese knock off 4 wheeler and loves it. To be honest, everyone in
the family likes riding around on it. To make a long story short, with
me fixing up my trailer I began thinking it would be great for us all
to have them and to haul them to different areas to ride as a “mini
vacation”.

Problem: There are three other people in my family. My wife, Myself,
and my 10 year old daughter. All have ridden my sons chineese 125 and
do pretty good on it. Growing up I had three wheelers before they
stopped making them and raced them a lot. (It’s a wonder I never got
killed).

Anyway, trying to figure out how to cheaply get three 4 wheelers and
what would be the appropriate size for each. I can not afford new
ones. Been looking on craigs list. Found several older ones that
needed work which I am willing to do but wonder how much the cost of
parts would be. Sever said needed rear brakes and things like that. I
found an 85 TRX 125 for 375 but had a tear in the seat and needed
“rust cleaned out of the carb”. (I have to do this constantly on my
2N.

Also I found a mini “Dune Buggy” a liquid cooled 250 cc two seater for
1500. If my wife and I could ride togther, then I would just have to
get my daughter a 4 wheeler. But would this thing be fun, and able to
move and keep up with two people in it? Would it be fast enough to be
fun on trails with just me?

Anyhow you are a bunch of knowledgeable people. Wondered what you
thought.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 08:28:55 -0700 (PDT), stryped
wrote:

[...]

The uncle inlaw took me to a junk yard of nothing but that kinda
stuff, ask around, maybe repair shops would know.

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 13, 11:28*am, stryped wrote:
[...]

My advice is quite different- get out of four wheelers (which have no
redeeming values) and switch to bikes.

It's safer and actually builds useful motor skills.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 13, 11:42*am, Dave__67 wrote:
[...]

Dave- Hide quoted text -

Ibicycles or dirt bikes? No one in my family other than me can ride a
dirt bike.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:
On Jul 13, 11:42 am, wrote:
On Jul 13, 11:28 am, wrote:

[...]

Can they ride bicycles? They can learn to ride trail
bikes, it's not that hard. And I agree with Dave that
they are safer and teach a better skill set.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 13, 12:23*pm, Jim Stewart wrote:
stryped wrote:
On Jul 13, 11:42 am, *wrote:
On Jul 13, 11:28 am, *wrote:

[...]

they are safer and teach a better skill set.- Hide quoted text -

My wife is not in that great a shape to ride for very long on a trail
Plus my son is only 5.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:
On Jul 13, 11:42 am, *wrote:
On Jul 13, 11:28 am, *wrote:

[...]

Plus my son is only 5.- Hide quoted text -

What about one of these? WOuld it be capable of trail riding with two
adults or would it be terrible slow? http://nashville.craigslist.org/rvs/1813486780.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 09:42:01 -0700 (PDT), Dave__67
wrote:

[...]

Indeed. and STAY AWAY FROM 3 WHEELERS!

They are inherently dangerous for most people.

You can pick up 125s..dirt bikes for less than $300 each if you browse
around.

And indeed..they are far safer than quads or trikes

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 10:14:29 -0700 (PDT), stryped
wrote:

[...]

Then ....teach them. Its not rocket science. And its fun!

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Gunner Asch- Hide quoted text -

What about the "dune buggy" I posted?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Jul 13, 11:28*am, stryped wrote:

When will you guys learn to quit responding to stryped trolls?
I _know_ you're smarter than that.
shakes head and wanders off cursing mildly

--

EXPLETIVE: A balm, usually applied verbally in hindsight,
which somehow eases those pains and indignities following