Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default unknown collet need ID help

I have a nice set of small collets that I cannot match up on any of the
collet charts. Looks like a miniature R8.

Here's the specs

3.00" OA Length
..500"bearing/shaft diameter
..675 max diameter at face.
5/16-16 internal thread.
sizes 1/6 - 3/8

photo (ignore the big 2VB in front)

http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...t=DSC01379.jpg

I'd like to find a good home for these if I can figure out what they are.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/9/2010 12:19 PM, RBnDFW wrote:
I have a nice set of small collets that I cannot match up on any of the
collet charts. Looks like a miniature R8.

Here's the specs

3.00" OA Length
.500"bearing/shaft diameter
.675 max diameter at face.
5/16-16 internal thread.
sizes 1/6 - 3/8

B3. Used on the Bridgeport "C" head, and some of the "M" heads.

Kevin Gallimore
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

axolotl wrote:
On 7/9/2010 12:19 PM, RBnDFW wrote:
I have a nice set of small collets that I cannot match up on any of the
collet charts. Looks like a miniature R8.

Here's the specs

3.00" OA Length
.500"bearing/shaft diameter
.675 max diameter at face.
5/16-16 internal thread.
sizes 1/6 - 3/8

B3. Used on the Bridgeport "C" head, and some of the "M" heads.

The chart I have shows the back bearing to be .650" on the B3.
Mine are .500". Thread size is also different.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/13/2010 2:19 PM, RBnDFW wrote:
axolotl wrote:
On 7/9/2010 12:19 PM, RBnDFW wrote:
I have a nice set of small collets that I cannot match up on any of the
collet charts. Looks like a miniature R8.

Here's the specs

3.00" OA Length
.500"bearing/shaft diameter
.675 max diameter at face.
5/16-16 internal thread.
sizes 1/6 - 3/8

B3. Used on the Bridgeport "C" head, and some of the "M" heads.

The chart I have shows the back bearing to be .650" on the B3.
Mine are .500". Thread size is also different.

Another example of my typing after looking but before reading. They are
a mystery to me. Any clues from where you got them?

Kevin Gallimore
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

axolotl wrote:
On 7/9/2010 12:19 PM, RBnDFW wrote:
I have a nice set of small collets that I cannot match up on any of the
collet charts. Looks like a miniature R8.

Here's the specs

3.00" OA Length
.500"bearing/shaft diameter
.675 max diameter at face.
5/16-16 internal thread.
sizes 1/6 - 3/8

B3. Used on the Bridgeport "C" head, and some of the "M" heads.

The chart I have shows the back bearing to be .650" on the B3.
Mine are .500". Thread size is also different.

Another example of my typing after looking but before reading. They are
a mystery to me. Any clues from where you got them?

Not really. They came from an estate sale, which had

Victor 16x40 lathe w/5C collets
Emco CNC 5 lathe with it's own collets
Small CNC mill that used QC tooling

So they did not fit anything there.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

axolotl wrote:
On 7/9/2010 12:19 PM, RBnDFW wrote:
I have a nice set of small collets that I cannot match up on any of the
collet charts. Looks like a miniature R8.

Here's the specs

3.00" OA Length
.500"bearing/shaft diameter
.675 max diameter at face.
5/16-16 internal thread.
sizes 1/6 - 3/8

B3. Used on the Bridgeport "C" head, and some of the "M" heads.

The chart I have shows the back bearing to be .650" on the B3.
Mine are .500". Thread size is also different.

Another example of my typing after looking but before reading. They are
a mystery to me. Any clues from where you got them?

Not really. They came from an estate sale, which had

Victor 16x40 lathe w/5C collets
Emco CNC 5 lathe with it's own collets
Small CNC mill that used QC tooling

So they did not fit anything there.

4C and 3C all resemble smaller and smaller versions of 5C collets

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

axolotl wrote:
[...]

I forgot to mention WW collets, and a ****load of others...

This may be of some help...

http://www.shophardinge.com/Categories.aspx?catID=1262

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-15, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 10:51:20 -0500, RBnDFW wrote:

[ ... ]

Not really. They came from an estate sale, which had

Victor 16x40 lathe w/5C collets
Emco CNC 5 lathe with it's own collets
Small CNC mill that used QC tooling

So -- who wound up with the Compact-5/CNC? It is a nice one.
(and the collets are probably ER-25 collets). Aside form the collet
chuck, did it also have a 3-jaw and a 4-jaw chuck?

What about toolpost? There were two styles of quick-change
toolposts, plus a motorized turret for up to three square-shanked
turning tools and up to three round-shanked drilling/boring tools.

Also -- which version of the firmware did it have? (Give the
colors of the keycaps in the various locations -- the newer systems had
a different set of colors.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

axolotl wrote:
[...]

Gunner, I Dl'd Hardinge's 4-page collet chart, most complete I've seen,
and nothing matches. Just scanning for ~3" OAL and ~1/2 bearing
diameter eliminates everything on the chart.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-15, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 10:51:20 -0500, RBnDFW wrote:

[ ... ]

Not really. They came from an estate sale, which had

Victor 16x40 lathe w/5C collets
Emco CNC 5 lathe with it's own collets
Small CNC mill that used QC tooling

So -- who wound up with the Compact-5/CNC? It is a nice one.
(and the collets are probably ER-25 collets). Aside form the collet
chuck, did it also have a 3-jaw and a 4-jaw chuck?

Don, I sold it to a local machinist. I had it a year and never had time
for it, and he wanted it very badly.

What about toolpost? There were two styles of quick-change
toolposts, plus a motorized turret for up to three square-shanked
turning tools and up to three round-shanked drilling/boring tools.

Also -- which version of the firmware did it have? (Give the
colors of the keycaps in the various locations -- the newer systems had
a different set of colors.

Don, this was the very latest version, with all the tooling - motorized
turret, milling column both chucks collets & chuck, dividing head etc.
It was like new, except for a few plastic and aluminum chips. Even the
tape drive worked. I've not seen a more complete or nicer one since.
But I got a great price for it, and we're both happy.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-15, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 10:51:20 -0500, RBnDFW wrote:

[ ... ]

Not really. They came from an estate sale, which had

Victor 16x40 lathe w/5C collets
Emco CNC 5 lathe with it's own collets
Small CNC mill that used QC tooling

So -- who wound up with the Compact-5/CNC? It is a nice one.
(and the collets are probably ER-25 collets). Aside form the collet
chuck, did it also have a 3-jaw and a 4-jaw chuck?

Don, I sold it to a local machinist. I had it a year and never had time
for it, and he wanted it very badly.

O.K. I'm still using one which started out with the oldest
firmware and CPU board and which I upgraded to the latest of both. And
added the turret toolpost as well.

What about toolpost? There were two styles of quick-change
toolposts, plus a motorized turret for up to three square-shanked
turning tools and up to three round-shanked drilling/boring tools.

Also -- which version of the firmware did it have? (Give the
colors of the keycaps in the various locations -- the newer systems had
a different set of colors.

Don, this was the very latest version, with all the tooling - motorized
turret, milling column both chucks collets & chuck, dividing head etc.
It was like new, except for a few plastic and aluminum chips. Even the
tape drive worked. I've not seen a more complete or nicer one since.
But I got a great price for it, and we're both happy.

That is what matters.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

axolotl wrote:
[...]

Actually..there are about 30 pages in there. You may wish to dig into
the Swiss Machine collets as well. Many many different types.

Interesting, take a picture next to a ruler and post it someplace we can
all look at it.

Gunner

Gunner Asch