Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Practical Power Factor Application

Wes wrote:

Most residential services are billed in KWH instead of KVAR. I hope you are not in a KVAR
billing area. That could make running rpc's expensive.

The term might be KVA. Too late to google, I'm up 4 hours past beddybye. Night. You all
be safe.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-09, Wes wrote:
Wes wrote:

Most residential services are billed in KWH instead of KVAR. I hope you are not in a KVAR
billing area. That could make running rpc's expensive.

It could make it worthwhile to go through the proper tuning of
the RPC -- first to make the converison more efficient, and then to make
the power factor optimum -- easy to do with AC rated capacitors, a
clamp-on ammeter and a bit of time. It will also make it less likely to
trip circuit breakers.

The term might be KVA. Too late to google, I'm up 4 hours past beddybye. Night. You all
be safe.

KVA is the measurement unit. KVAR appears to be a brand of
auto-tuning to optimize power factor/.

KVA billing seems to be used mostly for industrial power users
-- which encourages them to tune to opimize power factor.

Here is an exampel of KVAR:

http://www.kvar.com/1000/home/

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564