Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What am I seeing inside this servo motor? Removable encoder shaft?

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Brid...e-Servo-Motor/

I looked inside one of the servo motors (Y axis).
Inside, I was surprised to see a circlip (retaining ring) and a
setscrew. It is as if the encoder shaft was inserted into the actual
motor shaft and held by a setscrew. Could that be true? If it is so, I
could make any encoder shaft as long as it could fit inside the main
shaft?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
I had a similar assembly on my Harding and I made special encoder shafts.
Could you make a plate that mounts right on the end of the motor case to
put the encoder on? then use the cover over the encoder

Karl

The encoders I told you about look like a tight fit. Sketch it up before
your order. USdigital does make smaller encoders that use a 1" wheel, or you
could try the digikey ones Jon Elson likes.

Karl

The USDigital encoders I have used are really finicky about centering.
Also, I had some intermittent problems with their encoders last year and
their idea of customer service was to charge me for another encoder and
offer to refund my money if I sent an encoder back that they determined
to be bad. The next motion control project I do will use Avago (ex HP)
or the CUI encoders that you can get through Digikey.

BobH

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-06-06, Karl Townsend wrote:

"Ignoramus10271" wrote in message

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Brid...e-Servo-Motor/

I looked inside one of the servo motors (Y axis).
Inside, I was surprised to see a circlip (retaining ring) and a
setscrew. It is as if the encoder shaft was inserted into the actual
motor shaft and held by a setscrew. Could that be true? If it is so, I
could make any encoder shaft as long as it could fit inside the main
shaft?

I had a similar assembly on my Harding and I made special encoder shafts.
Could you make a plate that mounts right on the end of the motor case to put
the encoder on? then use the cover over the encoder

Karl, so, are you saying that this encoder shaft is indeed removable?

I just want to be sure of what you are saying.

If so, it would be trivial for me to make a shaft of the dimensions
that I want and to use the most suitable encoder without being limited
by the 10mm shaft diameter.

Yes, I am considering buying 4x4x1/4" aluminum squares, drilling and
tapping them as appropriate and installing encoders on those. I can do
it with acceptable accuracy. I want liquid resistant covers, however.

Obviously there are many possibilities and here's another one: to get
encoders that have 10 pin connectors like the current Heidenhain
encoders. Mount them on a plate and cover up with the existing liquid
tight cover and reuse the existing cable. Would that makes sense?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-06-06, Karl Townsend wrote:

I had a similar assembly on my Harding and I made special encoder shafts.
Could you make a plate that mounts right on the end of the motor case to
put the encoder on? then use the cover over the encoder

Karl

The encoders I told you about look like a tight fit. Sketch it up before
your order. USdigital does make smaller encoders that use a 1" wheel, or you
could try the digikey ones Jon Elson likes.

There is a 120 minimum order for them on Digikey. US Digital has
smaller encoders that I will look at, such as E5.