DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Touchpads (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/302430-touchpads.html)

steamer May 2nd 10 05:27 PM

Touchpads

--Well here I am again using a computer with a huge hole I've worn
in the touchpad. I'm thinking the people who engineer these things must have
girlyman hands! I've got enough of a grubby index finger, probably sintered
with metal chips by now, that I can't own a laptop for more than a few
months B4 I wear a hole in the touchpad. I've figured out that the only
reason the crummy plastic cover over the metal beneath is there is to
prevent moisture from screwing up the pointer 'resolution' so what I've been
doing is cutting the cover completely off, then laying down a couple of
strips of electrical tape. Trouble is: the feel is a little different and
not as slippery.
--Curious to know: has anyone come up with a better fix??

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Come see my stuff
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : at Maker Faire!!

whit3rd May 2nd 10 06:51 PM

Touchpads

On May 2, 9:27*am, steamer wrote:
* * * * --Well here I am again using a computer with a huge hole I've worn
in the touchpad.
[treat this by] cutting the cover completely off, then laying down a couple of
strips of electrical tape. Trouble is: the feel is a little different and
not as slippery.

The usual touchpad surface is Mylar (polyester); you can get gummed
Mylar
sheet and Xacto-knife cut patches to the right size and shape. When
it wears, peel it off and put another on.
Your electrical tape (or contact paper) will be a vinyl compound,
with a different feel.

Easiest source is to google for 'polyester label'; that'll find ya
printer-size sheets of material for this purpose.

Tim Wescott[_3_] May 2nd 10 06:58 PM

Touchpads

whit3rd wrote:
On May 2, 9:27 am, steamer wrote:
--Well here I am again using a computer with a huge hole I've worn
in the touchpad.
[treat this by] cutting the cover completely off, then laying down a couple of
strips of electrical tape. Trouble is: the feel is a little different and
not as slippery.

The usual touchpad surface is Mylar (polyester); you can get gummed
Mylar
sheet and Xacto-knife cut patches to the right size and shape. When
it wears, peel it off and put another on.
Your electrical tape (or contact paper) will be a vinyl compound,
with a different feel.

Easiest source is to google for 'polyester label'; that'll find ya
printer-size sheets of material for this purpose.

If you must experiment beyond that (why?) try Small Parts --
http://www.smallparts.com -- they have all sorts of different plastic sheet.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Gunner Asch[_6_] May 2nd 10 07:29 PM

Touchpads

On 02 May 2010 16:27:09 GMT, steamer wrote:

--Well here I am again using a computer with a huge hole I've worn
in the touchpad. I'm thinking the people who engineer these things must have
girlyman hands! I've got enough of a grubby index finger, probably sintered
with metal chips by now, that I can't own a laptop for more than a few
months B4 I wear a hole in the touchpad. I've figured out that the only
reason the crummy plastic cover over the metal beneath is there is to
prevent moisture from screwing up the pointer 'resolution' so what I've been
doing is cutting the cover completely off, then laying down a couple of
strips of electrical tape. Trouble is: the feel is a little different and
not as slippery.
--Curious to know: has anyone come up with a better fix??

Yes.

Simply use a decent quality mouse and **** the touchpad

Gunner

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Ned Simmons May 2nd 10 07:44 PM

Touchpads

On 02 May 2010 16:27:09 GMT, steamer wrote:

--Well here I am again using a computer with a huge hole I've worn
in the touchpad. I'm thinking the people who engineer these things must have
girlyman hands! I've got enough of a grubby index finger, probably sintered
with metal chips by now, that I can't own a laptop for more than a few
months B4 I wear a hole in the touchpad. I've figured out that the only
reason the crummy plastic cover over the metal beneath is there is to
prevent moisture from screwing up the pointer 'resolution' so what I've been
doing is cutting the cover completely off, then laying down a couple of
strips of electrical tape. Trouble is: the feel is a little different and
not as slippery.
--Curious to know: has anyone come up with a better fix??

How about self adhesive UHMW tape? It's very abrasion resistant and
slippery, and not very expensive. See McMaster page 3414.

--
Ned Simmons

Pete C. May 2nd 10 09:01 PM

Touchpads

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

Second. I absolutely hate the touchpads and I don't know why the public
doesn't just rebel and demand joybuttons like they have on all the
business laptops be standard on the consumer laptops as well.

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] May 2nd 10 09:04 PM

Touchpads

"Pete C." fired this volley in news:4bdddb47$0$5672
:

Second. I absolutely hate the touchpads and I don't know why the public
doesn't just rebel and demand joybuttons like they have on all the
business laptops be standard on the consumer laptops as well.

A lot of us feel just the opposite. If we had to use the damned eraser
instead of a "real" pointing device, we'd give up on the machines.

(BTW... all the DELL laptops I've owned came with both)

LLoyd

[email protected] May 2nd 10 09:23 PM

Touchpads

On Sun, 02 May 2010 15:04:11 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

"Pete C." fired this volley in news:4bdddb47$0$5672
:

Second. I absolutely hate the touchpads and I don't know why the public
doesn't just rebel and demand joybuttons like they have on all the
business laptops be standard on the consumer laptops as well.

A lot of us feel just the opposite. If we had to use the damned eraser
instead of a "real" pointing device, we'd give up on the machines.

(BTW... all the DELL laptops I've owned came with both)

LLoyd

The "joybutton" on the Lenovo / IBM products is a "joy" to use. Most
of the rest are a PAIN.
The only DELL computers I use are ones someone else paid for. I refuse
to spend money for them or to put cash in their pocket.

Spehro Pefhany May 2nd 10 11:53 PM

Touchpads

On Sun, 02 May 2010 15:04:11 -0500, the renowned "Lloyd E.
Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

"Pete C." fired this volley in news:4bdddb47$0$5672
:

Second. I absolutely hate the touchpads and I don't know why the public
doesn't just rebel and demand joybuttons like they have on all the
business laptops be standard on the consumer laptops as well.

A lot of us feel just the opposite. If we had to use the damned eraser
instead of a "real" pointing device, we'd give up on the machines.

(BTW... all the DELL laptops I've owned came with both)

LLoyd

I often drag a Trackman along with my 2.5lb netbook. ;-) Gets rid of
RSI, and practical even in an airliner seat in economy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-156-_-Product

The touchpads are okay for very occasional use, but not more.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Wes[_5_] May 3rd 10 12:55 AM

Touchpads

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

A lot of us feel just the opposite. If we had to use the damned eraser
instead of a "real" pointing device, we'd give up on the machines.

Why do they have to put the touch pad in the center of the laptop where it is certain the
heal of my hand is going to contact it while typing?

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] May 3rd 10 01:12 AM

Touchpads

Wes fired this volley in
:

Why do they have to put the touch pad in the center of the laptop
where it is certain the heal of my hand is going to contact it while
typing?

Because proper typing posture keeps the wrists elevated, and both hands
over the "home" keys; meaning the heel of your hand is NEVER over the
touchpad.

I use a touchpad exclusively, and touch-type. I never have that problem.

LLoyd

Larry Jaques[_2_] May 3rd 10 02:52 AM

Touchpads

On Sun, 02 May 2010 18:53:16 -0400, the infamous Spehro Pefhany
scrawled the following:

On Sun, 02 May 2010 15:04:11 -0500, the renowned "Lloyd E.
Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

"Pete C." fired this volley in news:4bdddb47$0$5672
:

Second. I absolutely hate the touchpads and I don't know why the public
doesn't just rebel and demand joybuttons like they have on all the
business laptops be standard on the consumer laptops as well.

A lot of us feel just the opposite. If we had to use the damned eraser
instead of a "real" pointing device, we'd give up on the machines.

(BTW... all the DELL laptops I've owned came with both)

LLoyd

I often drag a Trackman along with my 2.5lb netbook. ;-) Gets rid of
RSI, and practical even in an airliner seat in economy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-156-_-Product

Those are pretty nice, $28 at Wally World, but my all-time fave
trackball is the Logitech Trackman Portable. It stands up like a
rounded monolith with the ball (and 2 buttons) on the left side and
the left button on top. The little tabs on the ball retainer ring
keep breaking on mine. I've gone through 4 cords and 8 retainers over
the past decade and a half. I may try one of the finger trackballs
they're importing from ChiKongWan these days. $11/free ship on eBay.

Or maybe I'll just go down to Harbor Fright and buy a mill, then make
my own ring retainer towers, damnit. Then I could fix all my old
trackballs. 'Bout time, huh?

The touchpads are okay for very occasional use, but not more.

Ayup. J-mice are the same.

--
Courage is the power to let go of the familiar.
-- Raymond Lindquist

pyotr filipivich May 3rd 10 03:09 AM

Touchpads

Larry Jaques on Sun, 02 May 2010 18:52:26

I often drag a Trackman along with my 2.5lb netbook. ;-) Gets rid of
RSI, and practical even in an airliner seat in economy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-156-_-Product

Those are pretty nice, $28 at Wally World, but my all-time fave
trackball is the Logitech Trackman Portable. It stands up like a
rounded monolith with the ball (and 2 buttons) on the left side and
the left button on top. The little tabs on the ball retainer ring
keep breaking on mine. I've gone through 4 cords and 8 retainers over
the past decade and a half. I may try one of the finger trackballs
they're importing from ChiKongWan these days. $11/free ship on eBay.

Or maybe I'll just go down to Harbor Fright and buy a mill, then make
my own ring retainer towers, damnit. Then I could fix all my old
trackballs. 'Bout time, huh?

Aluminum, or plastic?

tschus
pyotr

I've a new (to me) laptop, and after the first long session, I went
bought a mouse. I'm considering one of the roll up keyboards, too.

-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Steve B[_10_] May 3rd 10 05:33 AM

Touchpads

"steamer" wrote in message
[...]

I hate touchpads and have always used wireless meece.

Steve

cavelamb May 3rd 10 12:24 PM

Touchpads

wrote:

"steamer" wrote in message
[...]

I'm not happy with the touch-pad at all, but on the boat's computer
there really isn't room for a mouse. Maybe a trackball?

--

Richard Lamb

Larry Jaques[_2_] May 3rd 10 02:50 PM

Touchpads

On Sun, 02 May 2010 19:09:00 -0700, the infamous pyotr filipivich
scrawled the following:

[...]

Prorry prastic. I'll mill new posts with thicker retainers that won't
break.

I've a new (to me) laptop, and after the first long session, I went
bought a mouse. I'm considering one of the roll up keyboards, too.

I've recently seen those on eBay for $8. Sucha deal! Let me know how
they feel. I haven't seen one in a store.

I moved away from mice about 15 years ago due to carpal warning
twinges. The ache went away that day.

Question: Why did the idiot put the keyboard legs on the wrong side?
The -front- should be lifted to alleviate carpal stress, not the back.

Steve B[_10_] May 3rd 10 05:58 PM

Touchpads

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
wrote:

"steamer" wrote in message
[...]

I have owned a track ball since a 2000 shoulder surgery. I wouldn't own
anything else, and am amazed at how hard some people find them to use. They
use no desk space. Get the wireless.

Steve

Pete C. May 3rd 10 06:01 PM

Touchpads

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

"Pete C." fired this volley in news:4bdddb47$0$5672
:

Second. I absolutely hate the touchpads and I don't know why the public
doesn't just rebel and demand joybuttons like they have on all the
business laptops be standard on the consumer laptops as well.

A lot of us feel just the opposite. If we had to use the damned eraser
instead of a "real" pointing device, we'd give up on the machines.

(BTW... all the DELL laptops I've owned came with both)

The "business" line laptops generally have both, while the "consumer"
line laptops generally have only the garbage touch pads.

Pete C. May 3rd 10 06:07 PM

Touchpads

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

Wes fired this volley in
:

Why do they have to put the touch pad in the center of the laptop
where it is certain the heal of my hand is going to contact it while
typing?

Because proper typing posture keeps the wrists elevated, and both hands
over the "home" keys; meaning the heel of your hand is NEVER over the
touchpad.

I use a touchpad exclusively, and touch-type. I never have that problem.

LLoyd

Well, so far in this thread, you are the only person who likes the
touchpads... at least 12:1 so far.

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] May 3rd 10 06:24 PM

Touchpads

"Pete C." fired this volley in news:4bdf03f9$0$26859
:

Well, so far in this thread, you are the only person who likes the
touchpads... at least 12:1 so far.

'appears I'm the only one with good typing posture, too G.

LLoyd

Wes[_5_] May 3rd 10 10:38 PM

Touchpads

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Wes fired this volley in
:

Why do they have to put the touch pad in the center of the laptop
where it is certain the heal of my hand is going to contact it while
typing?

Because proper typing posture keeps the wrists elevated, and both hands
over the "home" keys; meaning the heel of your hand is NEVER over the
touchpad.

I use a touchpad exclusively, and touch-type. I never have that problem.

LLoyd

I don't remember my grades in typing class. Typing class, not keyboarding class as it was
later known. I took it because I knew computers would be the next big thing and that is
how you talk to them.

I tend to rest my hands on the table. You elevate your arms all the time you are typing?
I just gave it a test run and I could type a bit faster for some strange reason but it
sure wasn't comfortable. I'll stick to my way for now.

I rely on a usb wireless mouse. As soon as I plug in the usb end and it connects to the
mouse, I get a message that my touch pad has deactivated its self. Makes me think the
designers knew that killing it when a better option available would be a real crowd
pleaser. ;)

I used I too many times.

Wes

Wes[_5_] May 3rd 10 10:41 PM

Touchpads

pyotr filipivich wrote:

I've a new (to me) laptop, and after the first long session, I went
bought a mouse. I'm considering one of the roll up keyboards, too.

If I had to use a laptop for an extended period, I'd bring an external keyboard with me.

pyotr filipivich May 3rd 10 11:03 PM

Touchpads

Larry Jaques on Mon, 03 May 2010 06:50:26

I've a new (to me) laptop, and after the first long session, I went
bought a mouse. I'm considering one of the roll up keyboards, too.

I've recently seen those on eBay for $8. Sucha deal! Let me know how
they feel. I haven't seen one in a store.

I saw one in a story - $24. I'll look for a store closer.

I moved away from mice about 15 years ago due to carpal warning
twinges. The ache went away that day.

Question: Why did the idiot put the keyboard legs on the wrong side?
The -front- should be lifted to alleviate carpal stress, not the back.

"It made sense, at the time." A universal answer which explains
many decisions, particularly when years later the person being asked
has no idea why the decision was made that way in the first place.

I have a network cable, but apparently one cannot simply plug it
into the two ports on computers and make a simple home network. Now
_that_ is dumb. I'm updating the Sneakernet protocols to work with a
thumb drive. "Windows - it just works."
-

Ed Huntress May 3rd 10 11:05 PM

Touchpads

"Wes" wrote in message
pyotr filipivich wrote:

I've a new (to me) laptop, and after the first long session, I went
bought a mouse. I'm considering one of the roll up keyboards, too.

If I had to use a laptop for an extended period, I'd bring an external
keyboard with me.

Wes

A corded keyboard and mouse go in my shoulder bag with my laptop. I'd rather
used the mouse on my knee than use a freaking touchpad. And those keyboards
are ridiculous if you write for a living.

For surfing the Web, though, they're fine.

--
Ed Huntress

Wes[_5_] May 3rd 10 11:07 PM

Touchpads

pyotr filipivich wrote:

I have a network cable, but apparently one cannot simply plug it
into the two ports on computers and make a simple home network. Now
_that_ is dumb. I'm updating the Sneakernet protocols to work with a
thumb drive. "Windows - it just works."

Pins 1,2,3,6 irc are what the signal goes in and out on. You need a cross over cable.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable .

Actually a hub or multiport repeater would be easiest.

David R.Birch May 4th 10 12:58 AM

Touchpads

Pete C. wrote:
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:
Wes fired this volley in
:

Why do they have to put the touch pad in the center of the laptop
where it is certain the heal of my hand is going to contact it while
typing?

Because proper typing posture keeps the wrists elevated, and both hands
over the "home" keys; meaning the heel of your hand is NEVER over the
touchpad.

I use a touchpad exclusively, and touch-type. I never have that problem.

LLoyd

Well, so far in this thread, you are the only person who likes the
touchpads... at least 12:1 so far.

I'd go with the touch pad over the little eraser nub any day, so 12:2
or 6:1 now.

David

RAM³ May 4th 10 01:14 AM

Touchpads

Wes wrote in
:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

I have a network cable, but apparently one cannot simply plug it
into the two ports on computers and make a simple home network. Now
_that_ is dumb. I'm updating the Sneakernet protocols to work with a
thumb drive. "Windows - it just works."

Pins 1,2,3,6 irc are what the signal goes in and out on. You need a
cross over cable.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable .

Actually a hub or multiport repeater would be easiest.

Wes

A "crossover"/"data transfer" cable can be had for relatively little.

I got mine at a Wal-Mart but just about any moderately-stocked office
supply or computer outlet should have them.

Spehro Pefhany May 4th 10 01:24 AM

Touchpads

On Mon, 03 May 2010 18:58:36 -0500, the renowned "David R.Birch"
wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:
Wes fired this volley in
:

Why do they have to put the touch pad in the center of the laptop
where it is certain the heal of my hand is going to contact it while
typing?

Because proper typing posture keeps the wrists elevated, and both hands
over the "home" keys; meaning the heel of your hand is NEVER over the
touchpad.

I use a touchpad exclusively, and touch-type. I never have that problem.

LLoyd

Well, so far in this thread, you are the only person who likes the
touchpads... at least 12:1 so far.

I'd go with the touch pad over the little eraser nub any day, so 12:2
or 6:1 now.

David

I refuse to use a machine with a cli****s.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] May 4th 10 01:39 AM

Touchpads

"RAM³" fired this volley in
. 10:

Pins 1,2,3,6 irc are what the signal goes in and out on. You need a
cross over cable

Called a "passive hub". Got one. (made it)

LLoyd

Gunner Asch[_6_] May 4th 10 02:19 AM

Touchpads

On Mon, 03 May 2010 20:24:48 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

On Mon, 03 May 2010 18:58:36 -0500, the renowned "David R.Birch"
wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:
Wes fired this volley in
:

Why do they have to put the touch pad in the center of the laptop
where it is certain the heal of my hand is going to contact it while
typing?

Because proper typing posture keeps the wrists elevated, and both hands
over the "home" keys; meaning the heel of your hand is NEVER over the
touchpad.

I use a touchpad exclusively, and touch-type. I never have that problem.

LLoyd

Well, so far in this thread, you are the only person who likes the
touchpads... at least 12:1 so far.

I'd go with the touch pad over the little eraser nub any day, so 12:2
or 6:1 now.

David

I refuse to use a machine with a cli****s.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Would that be..... "Clitoris"?

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

Larry Jaques[_2_] May 4th 10 02:30 AM

Touchpads

On Mon, 3 May 2010 09:58:56 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote the following:

I have owned a track ball since a 2000 shoulder surgery. I wouldn't own
anything else, and am amazed at how hard some people find them to use. They
use no desk space. Get the wireless.

If they weren't $100, I'd like to try a Logitech Trackman Live!
handheld presentation trackball.

Regular trackballs (marble on top) require your hand and/or arm to be
lifted and moved. The Logitech Trackman Portable/Optical
Trackman/Cordless Trackman Wheel and the Microsoft Ballpoint have the
left-hand ball to be used by the thumb, -preventing- the carpal and
shoulder problems most people experience with mouse use.

Yes, it's amazing that people can't use their thumb (or palm) to move
the ball. I fell right into it and was fully up to speed within the
hour.

Larry Jaques[_2_] May 4th 10 02:33 AM

Touchpads

wrote:

I'd go with the touch pad over the little eraser nub any day, so 12:2
or 6:1 now.

I refuse to use a machine with a cli****s.

Just because they don't have a slot which fits you?

Gerald Miller May 4th 10 02:39 AM

Touchpads

On Mon, 3 May 2010 09:58:56 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"cavelamb" wrote in message
om...
wrote:

"steamer" wrote in message
[...]

Somewhere downstairs I have a serial pointing device, a little three
button mouse captive on it's own base. Felix is the name on it IIRC.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

cavelamb May 4th 10 03:10 AM

Touchpads

wrote the following:

[...]

I actually have one of those (thumb balls) from an old Compaq laptop.

pretty cool toy...

--

Richard Lamb

DoN. Nichols May 4th 10 03:30 AM

Connecting computers (was: Touchpads)

On 2010-05-03, pyotr filipivich wrote:
Larry Jaques on Mon, 03 May 2010 06:50:26

[ ... ]

Question: Why did the idiot put the keyboard legs on the wrong side?
The -front- should be lifted to alleviate carpal stress, not the back.

"It made sense, at the time." A universal answer which explains
many decisions, particularly when years later the person being asked
has no idea why the decision was made that way in the first place.

I have a network cable, but apparently one cannot simply plug it
into the two ports on computers and make a simple home network.

You can with a crossover cable. The twisted pair ethernet uses
two pair out of the four (8 wires) available on the RJ-45 modular
connector. One pair is transmit and the other pair is receive. If you
use a standard cable, it is the equivalent of each computer shouting
into the other computer's mouth, and listening to the other computer's
ear. Not very good for communication.

Ethernet hubs listen and talk on the opposite pair, so you use a
straight through cable for talking to them.

Since the same connector is used for a lot of other functions,
the pinout is not as simple as you may expect. If you hold the
connector with the wire towards you and the connector blades facing up,
and number from left to right, you use the following pairs:

1\______ first pair
2/
3\
4 \______Second pair
5 /
6/
7
8

That is 1 & 2 for the first pair, and 3 & 6 for the second pair. Other uses
for the plug use different combinations of wires. When used for a
phone, the talk circuit is on pins 4 & 5 and other pins are used for
things usually needed only for a phone with a hold circuit.

Other network uses for the same connector include the T1, and the Frame
Relay (which use other pairs of pins.

In the cable, 1 & 2 are twisted together (pair 1)
3 & 6 are twisted together (pair 2)
4 & 5 are twisted together (pair 3)
7 & 8 are twisted together (pair 4)

To make the crossover cable:

end 1 end 2
1---------------3
2---------------4
3---------------1
6---------------2

The other four pins at each end can be left open, or crossed over as you
wish.

Now
_that_ is dumb. I'm updating the Sneakernet protocols to work with a
thumb drive. "Windows - it just works."

Now -- if you have a router, it will probably do DHCP and
automatically assign IP addresses to the two computers. If you have
just a plain hub or a switch, or a crossover cable as described above,
you will have to go into both comptuers' network configuration programs
and allocate different IP addresses to the two ends. Ideally, you want
to pick IP addresses which will not be used on the outside net. There
are several groupings, but the one which gives you the most leeway to
expand is the one which starts with "10.". There are four "octets",
separated by '.'s. Ideally, pick the first three to be the same at both
ends, and you can then just worry about picking different numbers for
the last octet. The range of legal values of the octets are between 0
and 255, but for some reasons it will be good to avoid 0, and 255 for
the last octet. By making only the last octet different, you don't have
to worry about things like the netmask to allow the computers to talk to
each other.

The reason that this is so complex is because it was designed
not just to connect two computers together, but rather millions of
computers around the world.

But you *can* make two Windows boxen talk to each other if
you know how to configure it, and have (or make) either a crossover
cable, or have a hub or router.

I can tell you how to do it with unix boxen, but I don't play
with Windows often enough to remember how to do it. Search on the web.

You can probably pick up a used DSL modem or wireless hub or
something similar and they will handle the DHCP for you, even if you
don't have anything connected to the outside world. (Be careful with
the wireless hub, because it will result in others driving by your house
(or the nearby neighbors) being able to pick up your communications,
even if you are not connected to the outside net.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

RangersSuck May 4th 10 03:43 AM

On 2010-05-03, pyotr filipivich wrote:

Larry Jaques on Mon, 03 May 2010 06:50:26
-0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking *the following:

* * * * [ ... ]

[...]

* * * * (too) near Washington D.C. |http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html
* * * * * *--- Black Holes are where God is dividing by zero ---

Actually if you don't have a router to supply DHCP, you don't have to
configure anything. Windows boxes (and, I'm sure, many other devices)
will do APIPA, or Automatic Private IP Addressing, which automatically
assigns a 169.254.x.x address. So, you CAN just hook up two windows
computers with nothing but a crossover cable (or a dumb hub or switch)
and have them talk to each other. No configuration necessary at all.
It just works.

RangersSuck May 4th 10 03:54 AM

Touchpads

On May 3, 6:03*pm, pyotr filipivich wrote:
[...]

I have a phone wire, but I can't just plug it into the ports on two
phones and make a simple home phone system. Is THAT dumb? The Ethernet
adapters on your computers were designed to connect to each other
through the appropriate equipment, which could be as simple as a
crossover cable, or as complicated as the whole internet.

There are many switches and hubs which are smart enough to figure out
which pair is being used for transmit and which for receive. I
wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that there are PC Ethernet cards
that do likewise, eliminating the need for crossover cables.

But the standard is quite clear on this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TIA/EIA-568-B

BTW, which whiskey do you drink? I go back & forth between Jameson and
Jack Daniels.

RangersSuck May 4th 10 03:59 AM

Touchpads

On May 3, 6:05*pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message

pyotr filipivich wrote:

I've a new (to me) laptop, and after the first long session, I went
bought a mouse. * I'm considering one of the roll up keyboards, too.

If I had to use a laptop for an extended period, I'd bring an external
keyboard with me.

Wes

A corded keyboard and mouse go in my shoulder bag with my laptop. I'd rather
used the mouse on my knee than use a freaking touchpad. And those keyboards
are ridiculous if you write for a living.

For surfing the Web, though, they're fine.

--
Ed Huntress

For surfing the web on the go, I use the touchscreen on my Droid, and
it works pretty well. But I always pack a trackball (I really don't
like mice) with the laptop.

Speaking of trackballs, I really like the Microsoft Trackball
Explorer. Last week, I thought, "Gee, I ought to get a couple more of
these." Well, it's been out of production for quite a while, so I hit
ebay where I found, much to my horror, that people are selling these
things for over $450!!! Supply and demand, I guess.

Today, I was out at Microcenter, and took a look at the trackballs on
display. Didn't like any of them. Now what am I going to do? Any
suggestions?