DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Source for 5MM or 3/16 HP tubing (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/300718-source-5mm-3-16-hp-tubing.html)

Wes[_2_] April 1st 10 12:37 AM

Source for 5MM or 3/16 HP tubing

I'm trying to make replacement probes for a fasttest connector.

The tubing is 5 mm and about 1.5MM [.060"] id. I took a chance on some 3/16" 0.090" since
it was close and available at Mcmasters. I think it is going to be weak where I have to
thread it.

The only tubing I know of is even close on ID is 1/4" 150PSI tubing.

http://www.highpressure.com/valves_f...pe=t&section=4

Having worked with waterjet systems, that came to mind. I could make it work but I'd
have to remake other parts of the tester.

Anyone have a source for what I'm looking for? 304 SS would be nice, carbon steel
acceptable.

Thanks,

Wes

[email protected] April 1st 10 08:20 PM

http://www.highpressure.com/valves_f...&ptype=t§ion=4

Having worked with waterjet systems, *that came to mind. *I could make it work but I'd
have to remake other parts of the tester.

Anyone have a source for what I'm looking for? *304 SS would be nice, carbon steel
acceptable.

Thanks,

Wes

What do you consider high-pressure? Real high pressure lines use
compression or flare fittings, not threads on the tubing, just because
threads are a built-in stress riser.

Stan

Wes[_2_] April 1st 10 10:42 PM

wrote:

What do you consider high-pressure? Real high pressure lines use
compression or flare fittings, not threads on the tubing, just because
threads are a built-in stress riser.

I'm using the high pressure tubing for a low pressure application.

Back when I worked on 60,000 psi systems, the connections were made with a gland nut, a
collar that was screwed on left hand threads cut into the piping, the end of the tubing
was coned with a cone cutter and then the assembly was screwed into a fitting with a
socket for the coned end to fit into. I believe the cones were cut for an interference
fit iirc. It has been a decade or so since I have worked with the stuff.

http://www.spark-co.com/outillage.php

The link above is the type of high pressure plumbing I just described that does have
threads. The stuff is very heavy wall.

Wes

jerry wass April 3rd 10 12:14 AM

wrote:
On Mar 31, 5:37 pm, Wes wrote:
[...]

You say 3/16" .090 is this .090 wall thickness? If so, then the
bore of the tube must be only .0075-----3/16=.1875 2X.090=.180--???

Wes[_2_] April 3rd 10 03:49 PM

Jerry Wass wrote:

You say 3/16" .090 is this .090 wall thickness? If so, then the
bore of the tube must be only .0075-----3/16=.1875 2X.090=.180--???

I'm trying to get something closer to 0.060" ID, the stuff I have now is 0.090" ID.

Wes