DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Reading RCM via Mac? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/300365-reading-rcm-via-mac.html)

steamer March 25th 10 08:05 PM

Reading RCM via Mac?

--A pal of mine was wondering what other Mac users prefer for
reading usenet. I'm on the PC side of the fence using putty and haven't a
clue what's on the Mac side.
Suggestions welcome and I'll pass 'em along to my pal

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Blue Cross socks us
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : $23,000/yr!! ...

Spehro Pefhany March 25th 10 08:17 PM

Reading RCM via Mac?

On 25 Mar 2010 20:05:34 GMT, steamer wrote:

--A pal of mine was wondering what other Mac users prefer for
reading usenet.

Google?
;-)

I'm on the PC side of the fence using putty and haven't a
clue what's on the Mac side.
Suggestions welcome and I'll pass 'em along to my pal

I've heard Unison is okay.

Ecnerwal[_3_] March 25th 10 10:33 PM

Reading RCM via Mac?

In article ,
steamer wrote:

--A pal of mine was wondering what other Mac users prefer for
reading usenet. I'm on the PC side of the fence using putty and haven't a
clue what's on the Mac side.
Suggestions welcome and I'll pass 'em along to my pal

MT-NewsWatcher

Works well, mine has been (last few months, not sure what set it off)
occasionally claiming it's closed unexpectedly when I've actually
closed/quit it intentionally, but other than that I've been using it for
many years with no problems (and it seems to saves the read news
correctly even when that happens).

Erik[_5_] March 26th 10 06:46 AM

Reading RCM via Mac?

In article ,
steamer wrote:

--A pal of mine was wondering what other Mac users prefer for
reading usenet. I'm on the PC side of the fence using putty and haven't a
clue what's on the Mac side.
Suggestions welcome and I'll pass 'em along to my pal

I've used MT Newswatcher for eons... even way back in the old system 9
days. It's a class act, I recommend it without reservation.

http://www.smfr.org/mtnw/

Erik

Jon Elson[_3_] March 26th 10 08:01 PM

Reading RCM via Mac?

steamer wrote:
--A pal of mine was wondering what other Mac users prefer for
reading usenet. I'm on the PC side of the fence using putty and haven't a
clue what's on the Mac side.
Suggestions welcome and I'll pass 'em along to my pal

Well, I run Linux, but that is the base of OS-X anyway. I use
thunderbird for both email and usenet groups. I find it integrates
mail/news and web stuff pretty well. I've been using some form of
netscape/mozilla/firefox/thunderbird for at least 12 years, I think.

Jon

DoN. Nichols March 28th 10 05:49 AM

Reading RCM via Mac?

On 2010-03-25, steamer wrote:
--A pal of mine was wondering what other Mac users prefer for
reading usenet. I'm on the PC side of the fence using putty and haven't a
clue what's on the Mac side.
Suggestions welcome and I'll pass 'em along to my pal

Well ... I haven't done newsreading on my Mac, but if I were to
do so, I would probably download this:

http://slrn.darwinports.com/

so I could continue using slrn as my newsreader.

I don't know whether it supports a GUI interface on the Mac, but
I do know that it works nicely in a plain text screen, which is what I
prefer under a newsreader.

It also lets you configure which editor to use -- and I normally
use jove on my other unix systems, but if I did not have it downloaded
for the Mac (I do have it) I would probably pick emacs as the editor. I
know that one is supplied with the extras with Mac OS-X.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

joel March 28th 10 06:07 PM

Reading RCM via Mac?

In article ,
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

On 2010-03-25, steamer wrote:
[...]

I highly recommend MT-newswatcher. Very good newsreader, very flexible,
but easy to use. http://ww.smfr.org/mtnw

--Joel

--
remove "xxxnospamxxx" to reach me