Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bigger shaft (tap and die guide for tailstock)

I've ordered a #3 MT to 5/8 x 16 chuck adapter to create a guide for
my tailstock.

Any thoughts on a suitable shaft diameter? I'd like to have something
with a bit of moxie. Perhaps for some tapping guide action for 1.25 to
1.75 dia.

Material sufficient to handle the torque? Just plain 1018, or something
with more spine?

Looked at the Threadex, nice.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 19, 4:50*pm, Louis Ohland wrote:
* *I've ordered a #3 MT to 5/8 x 16 chuck adapter to create a guide for
my tailstock.

Any thoughts on a suitable shaft diameter? I'd like to have something
with a bit of moxie. Perhaps for some tapping guide action for 1.25 to
1.75 dia.

Material sufficient to handle the torque? Just plain 1018, or something
with more spine?

Looked at the Threadex, nice.

This doesn’t answer your questions, but you might find this old
Popular Mechanics article useful to you:
http://books.google.com/books?id=qN8...page&q=&f=true
or http://tinyurl.com/yjs47np
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/19/2010 22:42, Denis G. wrote:
On Mar 19, 4:50 pm, Louis wrote:
I've ordered a #3 MT to 5/8 x 16 chuck adapter to create a guide for
my tailstock.

Any thoughts on a suitable shaft diameter? I'd like to have something
with a bit of moxie. Perhaps for some tapping guide action for 1.25 to
1.75 dia.

Material sufficient to handle the torque? Just plain 1018, or something
with more spine?

Looked at the Threadex, nice.

This doesn’t answer your questions, but you might find this old
Popular Mechanics article useful to you:
http://books.google.com/books?id=qN8...page&q=&f=true
or http://tinyurl.com/yjs47np

Sweet. Did you take in the Old Car Converted to Heavy-Duty Farm Tractor?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 19, 4:50 pm, Louis *wrote:
* * I've ordered a #3 MT to 5/8 x 16 chuck adapter to create a guide for
my tailstock.

Any thoughts on a suitable shaft diameter? I'd like to have something
with a bit of moxie. Perhaps for some tapping guide action for 1.25 to
1.75 dia.

Material sufficient to handle the torque? Just plain 1018, or something
with more spine?

Looked at the Threadex, nice.

This doesn’t answer your questions, but you might find this old
Popular Mechanics article useful to you:
http://books.google.com/books?id=qN8...dq=popular+mec...
orhttp://tinyurl.com/yjs47np

Sweet. Did you take in the Old Car Converted to Heavy-Duty Farm Tractor?- Hide quoted text -

I saw that. I loved reading those magazines when I was growing up.
There used to be a cartoon with a character that solved problems
around the house. He would scratch his head and come up with a clever
solution after a cloud with light bulb appeared over his head. I
can’t remember the name of the cartoon strip, but it wasn’t in this
issue. It must have come a bit later.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 19, 5:50*pm, Louis Ohland wrote:
* *I've ordered a #3 MT to 5/8 x 16 chuck adapter to create a guide for
my tailstock.

I just guide the back end of the tap in the center hole of an arbor
and start it straight by hand with a tap wrench
http://www.ludhraoverseas.net/full-images/693190.jpg
clamped on the threads.

Once the tap has started straight you can back off the tailstock and
maybe use backgeared power.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sweet. Did you take in the Old Car Converted to Heavy-Duty Farm Tractor?

My Dad's first tractor, after WWII, was a Model A truck with the
chassis shortened and two transmissions, back-to-back. Duals on the
back with chains. He didn't make it, bought it from someone and drove
it 15 miles to get home. It was just too light to do much work with.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 20, 10:00*am, "Denis G." wrote:

This doesn’t answer your questions, but you might find this old
Popular Mechanics article useful to you:

I saw that. *I loved reading those magazines when I was growing up.
There used to be a cartoon with a character that solved problems
around the house. *He would scratch his head and come up with a clever
solution after a cloud with light bulb appeared over his head.

Wordless Workshop (by Roy Doty (?))

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 20, 3:46*pm, whit3rd wrote:
On Mar 20, 10:00*am, "Denis G." wrote:

This doesn’t answer your questions, but you might find this old
Popular Mechanics article useful to you:

I saw that. *I loved reading those magazines when I was growing up.
There used to be a cartoon with a character that solved problems
around the house. *He would scratch his head and come up with a clever
solution after a cloud with light bulb appeared over his head.

Wordless Workshop (by Roy Doty (?))

Thanks! That was driving me crazy trying to remember the name of that
strip. I now see that it was a feature in Popular Science not Popular
Mechanics.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Denis G." wrote:

On Mar 20, 3:46 pm, whit3rd wrote:
On Mar 20, 10:00 am, "Denis G." wrote:

This doesn’t answer your questions, but you might find this old
Popular Mechanics article useful to you:
I saw that. I loved reading those magazines when I was growing up.
There used to be a cartoon with a character that solved problems
around the house. He would scratch his head and come up with a clever
solution after a cloud with light bulb appeared over his head.

Wordless Workshop (by Roy Doty (?))

Thanks! That was driving me crazy trying to remember the name of that
strip. I now see that it was a feature in Popular Science not Popular
Mechanics.

Popular Science recently announced that all 137 years of their
magazine are available online to read for free.

http://www.popsci.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--
Lead free solder is Belgium's version of 'Hold my beer and watch this!'- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Michael! An old flame that my wife won't mind me rekindling....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Denis G." wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Popular Science recently announced that all 137 years of their
magazine are available online to read for free.

http://www.popsci.com

Thanks Michael! An old flame that my wife won't mind me rekindling....

Yeah, until you refuse to turn off the computer & go to bed! ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 21, 7:58*pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
"Denis G." wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

* *Popular Science recently announced that all 137 years of their
magazine are available online to read for free.

* *http://www.popsci.com

Thanks Michael! *An old flame that my wife won't mind me rekindling.....

* *Yeah, until you refuse to turn off the computer & go to bed! ;-)

I just need to protect the monitor when she throws that shoe at me!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
"Denis G." wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Popular Science recently announced that all 137 years of their
magazine are available online to read for free.

http://www.popsci.com

Thanks Michael! An old flame that my wife won't mind me rekindling....

Yeah, until you refuse to turn off the computer & go to bed! ;-)

I just need to protect the monitor when she throws that shoe at me!

Yeah, a six" stiletto will go right through a LCD monitor.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
"Denis G." wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

* *Popular Science recently announced that all 137 years of their
magazine are available online to read for free.

* *http://www.popsci.com

Thanks Michael! *An old flame that my wife won't mind me rekindling....

* *Yeah, until you refuse to turn off the computer & go to bed! ;-)

I just need to protect the monitor when she throws that shoe at me!

* *Yeah, a six" stiletto will go right through a LCD monitor.

--
Lead free solder is Belgium's version of 'Hold my beer and watch this!'- Hide quoted text -

I knew that we would get back on topic!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Denis G." wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

"Denis G." wrote:

I just need to protect the monitor when she throws that shoe at me!

Yeah, a six" stiletto will go right through a LCD monitor.

I knew that we would get back on topic!

Maybe you should install a sheet of bullet proof glass in front of
your monitor? ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 22, 7:32*pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
"Denis G." wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

"Denis G." wrote:

I just need to protect the monitor when she throws that shoe at me!

* *Yeah, a six" stiletto will go right through a LCD monitor.

I knew that we would get back on topic!

* *Maybe you should install a sheet of bullet proof glass in front of
your monitor? ;-)

That's not necessary. If I have trouble, I'll just get the hall
monitor.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Denis G. wrote:
On Mar 19, 4:50 pm, Louis Ohland wrote:
I've ordered a #3 MT to 5/8 x 16 chuck adapter to create a guide for
my tailstock.

Any thoughts on a suitable shaft diameter? I'd like to have something
with a bit of moxie. Perhaps for some tapping guide action for 1.25 to
1.75 dia.

Material sufficient to handle the torque? Just plain 1018, or something
with more spine?

Looked at the Threadex, nice.

This doesn’t answer your questions, but you might find this old
Popular Mechanics article useful to you:
http://books.google.com/books?id=qN8...page&q=&f=true
or http://tinyurl.com/yjs47np

Is there any way to print those?
I don't have internet access at the shop, so I usually print stuff like
this to paper or PDF to load on my shop PC.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 23, 9:48*am, RBnDFW wrote:
Denis G. wrote:
On Mar 19, 4:50 pm, Louis Ohland wrote:
* *I've ordered a #3 MT to 5/8 x 16 chuck adapter to create a guide for
my tailstock.

Any thoughts on a suitable shaft diameter? I'd like to have something
with a bit of moxie. Perhaps for some tapping guide action for 1.25 to
1.75 dia.

Material sufficient to handle the torque? Just plain 1018, or something
with more spine?

Looked at the Threadex, nice.

This doesn’t answer your questions, but you might find this old
Popular Mechanics article useful to you:
http://books.google.com/books?id=qN8...dq=popular+mec...
orhttp://tinyurl.com/yjs47np

Is there any way to print those?
I don't have internet access at the shop, so I usually print stuff like
this to paper or PDF to load on my shop PC.- Hide quoted text -

I'm not sure. I think that they're still covered under copyright laws.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 10:19:25 -0700 (PDT), "Denis G."
wrote:

On Mar 23, 9:48*am, RBnDFW wrote:

Is there any way to print those?
I don't have internet access at the shop, so I usually print stuff like
this to paper or PDF to load on my shop PC.- Hide quoted text -

I'm not sure. I think that they're still covered under copyright laws.

Hit "Print Screen" on your keyboard and paste the captured image into
an image editing program. Crop, resize, and print to a pdf or paper.
Or save to an image file format of your choice. IrfanView is free,
fast, and works well for this.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
"Denis G." wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

"Denis G." wrote:

I just need to protect the monitor when she throws that shoe at me!

Yeah, a six" stiletto will go right through a LCD monitor.

I knew that we would get back on topic!

Maybe you should install a sheet of bullet proof glass in front of
your monitor? ;-)

That's not necessary. If I have trouble, I'll just get the hall
monitor.

Don't forget your Hall Pass! ;-)