Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Source for 4340 bar stock?

Looking for 4340, annealed, in 1" x 2" size. Length is 4" minimum.

Speedy, Metal Express, and others do rounds, and I'm not ready to carve
a rectangle from a round.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 12:05:24 -0600, Louis Ohland
wrote:

Looking for 4340, annealed, in 1" x 2" size. Length is 4" minimum.

Speedy, Metal Express, and others do rounds, and I'm not ready to carve
a rectangle from a round.

Do you really need 4340? I think the major difference between 4340 and
4140 is hardenability. If you need maximum strength all the way thru a
large section 4340 is indicated, if not, short pieces of 4140 flat
will be easier find.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Looking for 4340, annealed, in 1" x 2" size. Length is 4" minimum.

Speedy, Metal Express, and others do rounds, and I'm not ready to carve
a rectangle from a round.

Do you really need 4340? I think the major difference between 4340 and
4140 is hardenability. If you need maximum strength all the way thru a
large section 4340 is indicated, if not, short pieces of 4140 flat
will be easier find.

Looking to heat treat to Rockwell C 35, Tensile strength 160,000psi,
yield 138,000psi, or there abouts.

You are exactly right on 4140 being easier to find...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Looking for 4340, annealed, in 1" x 2" size. Length is 4" minimum.

Speedy, Metal Express, and others do rounds, and I'm not ready to carve
a rectangle from a round.

Do you really need 4340? I think the major difference between 4340 and
4140 is hardenability. If you need maximum strength all the way thru a
large section 4340 is indicated, if not, short pieces of 4140 flat
will be easier find.

Looking to heat treat to Rockwell C 35, Tensile strength 160,000psi,
yield 138,000psi, or there abouts.

You are exactly right on 4140 being easier to find...

It looks to me as though you might be able to get Rc35 all the way
thru a 1" thick 4140 piece, but 4340 would certainly be more reliable.

BTW, I'm looking in "Modern steels and their properties," the best
reference I've seen for this sort of data on alloy steels.
Unfortunately I can't find an online copy.
http://openlibrary.org/b/OL5528277M/...eir_properties

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 12:05:24 -0600, Louis Ohland wrote:

Looking for 4340, annealed, in 1" x 2" size. Length is 4" minimum.

Speedy, Metal Express, and others do rounds, and I'm not ready to carve
a rectangle from a round.

I just go to my local steel stockholder (no help to you, in the UK)

http://www.niagaralasalle.co.uk/distribution/

AISI4340/EN24 is a standard product and should be available at least, in
hot-rolled rectangle form. Only issue is that a steelyard will want you to buy
a complete length. This is how you build up stock for future projects :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 14, 4:05*am, Louis Ohland wrote:
* *Looking for 4340, annealed, in 1" x 2" size. Length is 4" minimum.

Speedy, Metal Express, and others do rounds, and I'm not ready to carve
a rectangle from a round.

What are you making?
Andrew VK3BFA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/14/2010 06:22, Andrew VK3BFA wrote:
On Mar 14, 4:05 am, Louis wrote:
Looking for 4340, annealed, in 1" x 2" size. Length is 4" minimum.

Speedy, Metal Express, and others do rounds, and I'm not ready to carve
a rectangle from a round.

What are you making?
Andrew VK3BFA.

Small rifle action @ 22LR / 5mm / 22WMR / 22 K Hornet
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Louis Ohland wrote:

What are you making?
Andrew VK3BFA.

Small rifle action @ 22LR / 5mm / 22WMR / 22 K Hornet

What type of action?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
Louis Ohland wrote:

What are you making?
Andrew VK3BFA.

Small rifle action @ 22LR / 5mm / 22WMR / 22 K Hornet

What type of action?

Wes

Enquiring minds want to know !

--
Snag
"90 FLHTCU "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/14/2010 09:55, Snag wrote:
Wes wrote:
Louis wrote:

What are you making?
Andrew VK3BFA.

Small rifle action @ 22LR / 5mm / 22WMR / 22 K Hornet

What type of action?

Wes

Enquiring minds want to know !

It's a bit odd. A cylindrical falling block design from Bill Holmes.
Roughly 1" wide, 2" tall, 4" long. The falling block, er, shaft, is
..750" diameter.

I was talking to my neighbor about it, and there may be some EDM and
heat treating shops in the ares. EDM would make a rectangular falling
block so much easier.