Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Joe is offline

Default Bye-bye, annoying survivalism and rush-limbaugh trolls

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 20:32:21 -0600, Ignoramus8009
wrote:

There are a few posters, who I personally find extremely annoying
because they never say anything that I am interested in, and yet they
have great skills at stirring the pot among one or several newsgroups,
so then discussions drag in more and more people.

Two examples I can give is Cliff and "Burled Frau".

Killfiling just them accomplishes not so much, because other people
follow up and I see all that crap. Killfiling crossposted newsgroups
is somewhat more effective, but not 100% effective.

I wrote a perl script to address it. It scans selected newsgroups
newsgroup, finds all Message-IDs posted by designated people (listed
in a separate file), and generates a slrn scorefile that killfiles
everything that has those message-IDs in References. So it kills not
only their posts, but all followups to such posts.

The generated scorefile is meant to be included from your main
Scorefile by means of "include" directive.

I am including this script below. I expect to improve it as time goes
on.

Good one - thanks. I have the same problem. I guess I'll have to give
up on Agent and get slrn. Will your script work in the Windoze
compiled version?

Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

It will work with Activeperl, you need to make sure that you nave
News::NNTPClient module installed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 09:51:22 -0500, Joe
wrote:

snip
Good one - thanks. I have the same problem. I guess I'll have to give
up on Agent and get slrn. Will your script work in the Windoze
compiled version?

Joe

If you are using Agent, this filter does pretty good:

Author: {too_many_tools|Compact
Adolescent|Cliff|LibLoo|Burled|Just a Guy} and not Subject:
{^re\:}

Set the "Kill Action" to Ignore thread. Keep the old
messages for a couple weeks or more before auto-purging. You
have to keep at least one message for ignore thread to work.
After a couple weeks or so they die away, usually...

It will mark any thread as ignore that these bozo's start.

Make another filter to mark message as read, give it a lower
score than the previous filter:

Author: {too_many_tools|basil karlo|jon_banquer|Compact
Adolescent|Cliff|Lib Loo|freedom_guy|mansd8|burled}

Add/subtract the names in these to suit your fancy...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b