Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - Bumped up RAM

I switched from IE7 to 8 recently. Computer was slow. Bumped up RAM to 2
GB, and hooey, what a difference. You might look at yours and consider this
inexpensive easy fix.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message
I switched from IE7 to 8 recently. Computer was slow. Bumped up RAM to 2
GB, and hooey, what a difference. You might look at yours and consider
this inexpensive easy fix.

Steve

Unfortunately, for me, my little Acer Netbook can only hold 1 GB.

Memory, for a Winders box, equals speed: the more the merrier!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 16:43:47 -0600, "RAM³"
wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in message
I switched from IE7 to 8 recently. Computer was slow. Bumped up RAM to 2
GB, and hooey, what a difference. You might look at yours and consider
this inexpensive easy fix.

Steve

Unfortunately, for me, my little Acer Netbook can only hold 1 GB.

Memory, for a Winders box, equals speed: the more the merrier!

Actually, you can bump that up to 1.5 GB
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
I switched from IE7 to 8 recently. Computer was slow. Bumped up RAM to 2
GB, and hooey, what a difference. You might look at yours and consider this
inexpensive easy fix.

Yessir, RAM is like some other things, you just can't have too much.

I consider 2 GB a minimum now, Win XP and above.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RBnDFW wrote:
Steve B wrote:
... Bumped up RAM to 2 GB, and hooey, what a difference. ...

Yessir, RAM is like some other things, you just can't have too much.

I consider 2 GB a minimum now, Win XP and above.

Thanks for the tip. I had 1/2G, added another 1G ($55, Amazon). My
wife's PC, too. From 256MB (!) to 1G.

She noticed a BIG difference, but I didn't. So I went poking around the
'net & found this free MS utility ("Process Explorer") that monitors
memory usage:

To my surprise, I have not seen any memory use above 600MB. I've opened
a number of app's simultaneously, including Adobe Photoshop Elements and
MS Excel, which I had thought were real memory pigs. They added very
little to the usage.

So I'm wondering what uses a lot of memory. Maybe data, like pix &
music. But if MP3 is, say, 2MB/minute, I'd have to have hours of music
IN MEMORY, to get up to a total of 1G. Raw music takes more, but still
.... Likewise pix - I'd have to be working on hundreds of them
simultaneously.

Well, then, video. The little video I have is low res (640 x 480) AVI.
It ranges from .1M to 1.1M per second. So if I were editing a 10
minute clip, it would need 60 - 660MB to keep it in memory. So, I tried
it on a 100MB clip - it didn't keep it memory (usage only went up about
30MB).

So, I dunno. Anybody know why a lot of memory might be needed?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 09:33:39 -0500, the infamous Bob Engelhardt
scrawled the following:

RBnDFW wrote:
Steve B wrote:
[...]

Graphics files, animations, movie streaming/cache, database cache,
etc. Browsers now grab 100MB just to start up.

--
Perhaps the most valuable result of all education is the ability to
make yourself do the thing you have to do, when it ought to be done,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
RBnDFW wrote:
Steve B wrote:
[...]

Some systems do not automatically recognize the extra memory. You may have
to go into setup to get it in to the system.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 09:28:41 -0800, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 09:33:39 -0500, ... Bob Engelhardt ... wrote
RBnDFW wrote:
Steve B wrote:

[...]

On my linux system with 4GB RAM, I terminate and restart firefox
occasionally, to drop its memory usage back to a reasonable level.
For example, when I restarted firefox a month ago, its resident
memory dropped from over 1GB to under 200MB; on the next restart
(a few minutes ago) it dropped from 726MB resident to 233MB with
40 pages automatically reopened.

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 09:33:39 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

snip
So, I dunno. Anybody know why a lot of memory might be needed?

Try some heavy duty image manipulation. A program like Image
Analyzer:

http://meesoft.logicnet.dk/Analyzer/

Open maybe a 7mb or larger photo with it and then try
running the deconvolution filter with maybe 5 iterations.
Used to bring my old computer with 300mb ram to its knees...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 13, 9:33*am, Bob Engelhardt wrote:

To my surprise, I have not seen any memory use above 600MB. *I've opened
a number of app's simultaneously, including Adobe Photoshop Elements and
MS Excel, which I had thought were real memory pigs. *They added very
little to the usage.

Try this setting for more detail
View
Select Columns