DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   On Topic- Lets get rid of Cliff (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/299126-topic-lets-get-rid-cliff.html)

Dave__67 March 3rd 10 12:58 PM

On Topic- Lets get rid of Cliff

I'm serious, if this was a meatspace community, the Cliffs would be
ejected by the community.

Let's come up with some real-world sanctions/repercussions, get rid of
him, and then go after the next a-hole who takes his place.

Lets go after this ****er- it's time to draw a line, and when someone
crosses that line, get rid of 'em. Make coming here sufficiently
painful he stops coming.

First step- his real-world contact info. Someone's gotta have it.

Dave

Jon Danniken[_2_] March 3rd 10 01:05 PM

Dave__67 wrote:
I'm serious, if this was a meatspace community, the Cliffs would be
ejected by the community.

Let's come up with some real-world sanctions/repercussions, get rid of
him, and then go after the next a-hole who takes his place.

Lets go after this ****er- it's time to draw a line, and when someone
crosses that line, get rid of 'em. Make coming here sufficiently
painful he stops coming.

I have had "Cliff" killfilled for several years now, and do not see any of
his posts.

Unfortunately, there are a sufficient number of bozos who incessantly reply
to him. I killfill the majority of them as well, but as with the problem in
making an idiotproof design, new idiots keep popping up.

Jon

Eregon[_4_] March 3rd 10 02:45 PM

On Topic- Lets get rid of Cliff

"Robert Swinney" wrote in
:

How does one go about killfilling in RCM? I am using Outlook Exress
in Giganews reader.

In OE, right-click on a post by the offensive one, click on Message, click
on Block Sender and, then, click on Yes when asked if you want the
offender's messages deleted.

Jim Wilkins March 3rd 10 03:28 PM

On Topic- Lets get rid of Cliff

Avoiding them is no harder than learning to walk through a cow
pasture.

jsw

Ed Rinehart March 3rd 10 04:55 PM

Dave__67 wrote:
I'm serious, if this was a meatspace community, the Cliffs would be
ejected by the community.

Let's come up with some real-world sanctions/repercussions, get rid of
him, and then go after the next a-hole who takes his place.

Lets go after this ****er- it's time to draw a line, and when someone
crosses that line, get rid of 'em. Make coming here sufficiently
painful he stops coming.

First step- his real-world contact info. Someone's gotta have it.

Dave

I long ago concluded that "Cliff" is not a real person but is, instead
an automaton, a fairly clever computer program that someone has left
running. At first I thought that it was a failed experiment in
artificial inteligence, but then decided it was a successful experiment
in artificial stupidity.

Steve B[_4_] March 3rd 10 05:09 PM

"Dave__67" wrote in message
I'm serious, if this was a meatspace community, the Cliffs would be
ejected by the community.

Let's come up with some real-world sanctions/repercussions, get rid of
him, and then go after the next a-hole who takes his place.

Lets go after this ****er- it's time to draw a line, and when someone
crosses that line, get rid of 'em. Make coming here sufficiently
painful he stops coming.

First step- his real-world contact info. Someone's gotta have it.

Dave

No, the first step is to killfile him and not respond. After that, no
further action would be necessary. Same with anyone who posts more on
politics than metalworking.

Steve

Steve B[_4_] March 3rd 10 05:15 PM

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
How does one go about killfilling in RCM? I am using Outlook Exress in
Giganews reader.

On my OE, I have the message line highlighted. Go up to MESSAGE, select the
BLOCK SENDER from drop down menu. Select YES when it asks if you want to
filter that person. POOF, GONE. But they will probably morph in a short
time, so you will have to do it again.

I go through, and if someone is questionable, I look to see how many posts
they make on actual metalwork. If they don't make any or many, they go.
But some guys here know a lot about metalworking, and like to get into the
political mud wrestling, too. So it's a judgment call. When someone posts
something so stupid or offensive or profane that I know what kind of a
person they are, I have a one strike rule, thinking that it's likely that
they will never say anything meaningful, and if they ever do, I won't miss
much.

HTH

Steve

Steve B[_4_] March 3rd 10 05:16 PM

"Ed Rinehart" wrote in message
Dave__67 wrote:
I'm serious, if this was a meatspace community, the Cliffs would be
ejected by the community.

Let's come up with some real-world sanctions/repercussions, get rid of
him, and then go after the next a-hole who takes his place.

Lets go after this ****er- it's time to draw a line, and when someone
crosses that line, get rid of 'em. Make coming here sufficiently
painful he stops coming.

First step- his real-world contact info. Someone's gotta have it.

Dave

I long ago concluded that "Cliff" is not a real person but is, instead an
automaton, a fairly clever computer program that someone has left running.
At first I thought that it was a failed experiment in artificial
inteligence, but then decided it was a successful experiment in artificial
stupidity.

My take is that he is a troll without a real life.

Steve

Robert Swinney March 3rd 10 06:36 PM

On Topic- Lets get rid of Cliff

Thanx, all.

The analogy with "troll" was pretty much on the mark. I'll not do a lot of killfilling but will
centainly concentrate on the gross cross-posters when I do.

Bob Swinney

Ignoramus27796 March 3rd 10 08:50 PM

On Topic- Lets get rid of Cliff

I killfile everything crossposted to survivalism, Cliff and a few more
left wing and right wing kooks. My criteria is that the person whom I
killfiling has nothing to contribute. It works out fairly well.

I cannot killfile crossposts to alt.machines.cnc, for obvious
reasons.

Ecnerwal[_3_] March 3rd 10 09:41 PM

On Topic- Lets get rid of Cliff

In article
,
Dave__67 wrote:
Lets go after this ****er- it's time to draw a line, and when someone
crosses that line, get rid of 'em. Make coming here sufficiently
painful he stops coming.

All that's required to neutralize _all_ the trolls is to simply ignore
all off topic posts. Don't look at them, don't read them, don't respond
to agree and stroke the ego of the poster, don't respond to set the
poster straight and stroke the ego of the poster. Just let them drop
like rocks in a pond that refuses to ripple.

NOTHING is more painful to trolls than simply being ignored.

Jon Danniken[_2_] March 3rd 10 09:45 PM

Robert Swinney wrote:
How does one go about killfilling in RCM? I am using Outlook Exress
in Giganews reader.

I dunno about the "Giganews reader", but in OE it's (Message Block Sender
Yes).

Jon

Artemus[_4_] March 3rd 10 10:04 PM

On Topic- Lets get rid of Cliff

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
How does one go about killfilling in RCM? I am using Outlook Exress in

Giganews reader.

Bob Swinney

Block Sender is one way but I've come up with a better way that
even blocks the idiots who reply to him.
Create a filter thusly:
Open any post by the offending idiot and copy the From info to the
clipboard. Close the post.
On the OE main menu - Tools | Message Rules | News
Click New.
Check boxes "Where from line contains people", "Mark it as read",
and "Mark message as watched or ignored".
In window #3 Click "contains people" and Add the offenders info. OK.
Click "watched or ignored: and select "ignore". OK.
Window #4 rename the rule if you want to.
OK. OK.
Then set your View to "hide read or ignored messages"
You will now never see any of the offenders posts nor any post
that replies to it.
Art

Artemus[_4_] March 3rd 10 10:20 PM

"Artemus" wrote in message

[...]

I forgot to mention that you can Add multiple douchebags in the
step marked ** above.
Art

Hawke[_3_] March 3rd 10 10:36 PM

On 3/3/2010 9:15 AM, Steve B wrote:
"Robert wrote in message
[...]

You need to give some thought to how much you would actually have to say
if you kept to strictly metalworking topics. Most people here do
projects as a hobby, which means they are not doing new things every day
and they have long periods when they do little or nothing metal related.
If they stuck strictly to metalwork they would make a couple of posts
and then go away because they wouldn't have anything else to comment on.
If you make all the posts strictly about metalworking do you know how
small this newsgroup would be, and do you know how little you would
contribute? I bet the majority of your posts have no metalworking
content. The truth of the matter is there is not enough metal content to
keep everyone interested so the topics go a lot more to current events.
I think it adds to the group. A lot of metalworking subjects people post
about have no interest except for a few people. You restrict the group
to just metalworking and you wind up with a very tiny group. Some people
would be happy with that but from the way it is now most would not like
that.

Hawke

Hawke[_3_] March 3rd 10 10:39 PM

On Topic- Lets get rid of Cliff

No, the first step is to killfile him and not respond. After that, no
further action would be necessary. Same with anyone who posts more on
politics than metalworking.

Steve

But you post more on politics than you do on metalworking. Guess what?
So do most people and that includes the people bitching right now.

Hawke

Ignoramus27796 March 3rd 10 11:23 PM

On 2010-03-03, Steve Ackman wrote:
In , on Wed, 03 Mar 2010
14:50:45 -0600, Ignoramus27796, lid wrote:
I killfile everything crossposted to survivalism, Cliff and a few more
left wing and right wing kooks. My criteria is that the person whom I
killfiling has nothing to contribute. It works out fairly well.

I cannot killfile crossposts to alt.machines.cnc, for obvious
reasons.

99% of anything posted to amc PLUS 4 other groups
will not be anything you're interested in.

Well, _I_ just bought a CNC mill and I do xpost to alt.machines.cnc
from time to time. That's why I cannot killfile such
crossposts. survivalism is a better filtering criteria.

Doug Miller March 3rd 10 11:35 PM

lid wrote:
I killfile everything crossposted to survivalism, Cliff and a few more
left wing and right wing kooks. My criteria is that the person whom I
killfiling has nothing to contribute. It works out fairly well.

I cannot killfile crossposts to alt.machines.cnc, for obvious
reasons.

99% of anything posted to amc PLUS 4 other groups
will not be anything you're interested in.

99% of anything posted to *any* group plus four others will not be anything
you're interested in...

Doug Miller March 3rd 10 11:40 PM

In article , Hawke wrote:

You need to give some thought to how much you would actually have to say
if you kept to strictly metalworking topics. Most people here do
projects as a hobby, which means they are not doing new things every day
and they have long periods when they do little or nothing metal related.
If they stuck strictly to metalwork they would make a couple of posts
and then go away because they wouldn't have anything else to comment on.
If you make all the posts strictly about metalworking do you know how
small this newsgroup would be, and do you know how little you would
contribute?

While it's true that many people here post about metalworking *and* on
non-related topics, there are two regulars here who _almost never_ post
anything related to metalworking, whose posts are almost always left-wing
political rants of one sort or another -- and whose posts the group would IMHO
be better off without.

One of those regulars is the subject of this thread.

The other one is you.

Wes[_2_] March 3rd 10 11:45 PM

On Topic- Lets get rid of Cliff

"Jon Danniken" wrote:

Lets go after this *ucker- it's time to draw a line, and when someone
crosses that line, get rid of 'em. Make coming here sufficiently
painful he stops coming.

I have had "Cliff" killfilled for several years now, and do not see any of
his posts.

Unfortunately, there are a sufficient number of bozos who incessantly reply
to him. I killfill the majority of them as well, but as with the problem in
making an idiotproof design, new idiots keep popping up.

If only they would learn to trim!

Wes

Wes[_2_] March 3rd 10 11:50 PM

Ed Rinehart wrote:

I long ago concluded that "Cliff" is not a real person but is, instead
an automaton, a fairly clever computer program that someone has left
running. At first I thought that it was a failed experiment in
artificial inteligence, but then decided it was a successful experiment
in artificial stupidity.

I concluded "Cliff" is an Eliza program that was given internet access after some demented
scientist gained access to the worlds nuclear launch codes and tweeked Eliza just a bit to
fit his worldview. No nation state dares shutting it down for fear of the repercussions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA

Wes

Wes[_2_] March 3rd 10 11:54 PM

Hawke wrote:

But you post more on politics than you do on metalworking. Guess what?
So do most people and that includes the people bitching right now.

What were your recent metalworking projects?

Wes

Wes[_2_] March 3rd 10 11:56 PM

(Doug Miller) wrote:

99% of anything posted to *any* group plus four others will not be anything
you're interested in...

I tend to think 3 is the limit.

Wes

Too_Many_Tools March 4th 10 12:24 AM

On Mar 3, 6:58*am, Dave__67 wrote:
I'm serious, if this was a meatspace community, the Cliffs would be
ejected by the community.

Let's come up with some real-world sanctions/repercussions, get rid of
him, and then go after the next a-hole who takes his place.

Lets go after this ****er- it's time to draw a line, and when someone
crosses that line, get rid of 'em. Make coming here sufficiently
painful he stops coming.

First step- his real-world contact info. Someone's gotta have it.

Dave

Are you going to take out Gunner too?

TMT

Too_Many_Tools March 4th 10 12:27 AM

"Robert *wrote in message
[...]

Hawke- Hide quoted text -

Hawke is right...Steve is one of the conservatives who rails at any
political post that doesn't reflect his values.

TMT

Too_Many_Tools March 4th 10 12:29 AM

On Mar 3, 4:39*pm, Hawke wrote:
No, the first step is to killfile him and not respond. *After that, no
further action would be necessary. *Same with anyone who posts more on
politics than metalworking.

Steve

But you post more on politics than you do on metalworking. Guess what?
So do most people and that includes the people bitching right now.

Hawke

And they only bitch when the post isn't conservative.

TMT

Too_Many_Tools March 4th 10 12:30 AM

On Mar 3, 5:40*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , Hawke wrote:

[...]

Damn...I am feeling left out.

I demand a recount.

TMT

Steve B[_4_] March 4th 10 12:32 AM

On Topic- Lets get rid of Cliff

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , Hawke
wrote:

[...]

Kudos, Doug.

Stormin Mormon March 4th 10 12:52 AM

On Topic- Lets get rid of Cliff

Click "message" at the top. Slide down. Click
"block sender".

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Robert Swinney" wrote in
message

Hawke[_3_] March 4th 10 01:12 AM

In , wrote:

[...]

So do you want to break the news to him or should I? That the truth is
the only difference between him and us is the percentage of metal to non
metal posts. That's like comparing a whore that works all night to one
that has just one trick. They're both whores. But I doubt he'll get the
connection so here it is. He's the same as us posting about metal and
non metal related topics and the only difference is in quantity. In
other words, he's just as guilty of off topic posts as anyone else. He
just does it less than some others. But at least he's a hypocrite about it.

Hawke

Hawke[_3_] March 4th 10 01:14 AM

On Topic- Lets get rid of Cliff

On 3/3/2010 4:32 PM, Steve B wrote:
"Doug wrote in message
In , Hawke
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for proving my point, Steve. You just did another off topic post.
So did Doug. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
Like you do.

Hawke

Hawke[_3_] March 4th 10 01:15 AM

[...]

The vast majority of his posts are not metal related either. Which
happens to be exactly what he criticizes us for.

Hawke

Hawke[_3_] March 4th 10 01:17 AM

On 3/3/2010 3:54 PM, Wes wrote:
wrote:

But you post more on politics than you do on metalworking. Guess what?
So do most people and that includes the people bitching right now.

What were your recent metalworking projects?

Wes

I just welded a patch panel on my CJ5. Did you want to hear all about
it? I didn't think so.

Hawke

Ignoramus27796 March 4th 10 01:21 AM

On 2010-03-04, Hawke wrote:

I just welded a patch panel on my CJ5. Did you want to hear all about
it? I didn't think so.

I would like to hear about that, personally.

Ecnerwal[_3_] March 4th 10 02:29 AM

Off Topic- Lets get rid of -tards

If everyone stuck to metalworking, only, the group would improve
immensely, since the people who presently leave in disgust when they
come here to discuss metalworking would not have reason to leave, and
jackasses who never or rarely post about metalworking (roughly two
leftards, fifteen or so rightards, plus one or two "how do they even
connect to the web"-tards that are more clueless than political) would
probably dry up and blow away; or at least limit their output to
metalworking when their political crap gets no response whatever, from
anyone.

In short, if you simply post about metalworking, that's a good thing. If
you want to post about politics, there are groups for that, go there,
post there, argue there - don't do it here, nobody here will miss your
keen political insight, whichever direction you lean, wingnut, or rant.

This will never happen, since all the -tards are -tards and can't manage
to stop being -tards. But it would be really nice. We should try it.

Since this isn't metalworking, I'm going to stop posting in this thread.
Everyone else should give it a try, too.

DoN. Nichols March 4th 10 03:13 AM

On 2010-03-03, Robert Swinney wrote:
"Jon Danniken" wrote in message

[ ... ]

I have had "Cliff" killfilled for several years now, and do not see any of
his posts.

How does one go about killfilling in RCM? I am using Outlook Exress in Giganews reader.

It is the same for any usenet newsgroup, and is specific to the
newsreader which you are using. Some offer much more powerful
killfiling capabilities than others.

"Outlook Express" is your newsreader, and "Giganews" is your
news server. Unless you were using a web-based interface to the
newsgroup, it really would not matter who you use as the news sever,
execept that some my be doing a better job of killing off spam before
you see it than others.

Since what I use is "slrn" on a unix system, I can't tell you
how to do it in Outlook Express, which does not run on my systems, but
as I understand it, it is far less capable than free programs for
Windows like "Agent".

I think that you perhaps should look into changing newsreader to
one which is recommended as having good killfile capabilities under
Windows. (I won't bother suggesting that you change to Linux or some
other unix system -- if you were willing to do that, you would have
already I suspect. :-)

Of course -- you *will* have to learn a different user interface
when you switch newsreaders -- but I suspect that you will discover lots
of other reasons to like the new one after the switch.

Good luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

DoN. Nichols March 4th 10 03:25 AM

On 2010-03-03, Steve Ackman wrote:
In , on
Wed, 3 Mar 2010 04:58:59 -0800 (PST), Dave__67,
wrote:

I'm serious, if this was a meatspace community, the Cliffs would be
ejected by the community.

Just banish him. On one newsreader, for example,
you just hit 3 keys. 'k' 'f' enter

Or you don't even have to single him out. Just
filter all posts crossposted to 4 groups or more.
That has the added bonus of getting rid of anyone that
responds to the crossposts.

*Except* -- when the person responding "helpfully" trims the
"Newsgroups: " header to just rec.crafts.metalworking. Then the thread
pops up here and I have to individually killfile the "Subject: " header
as well.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |

Robert Swinney March 4th 10 04:25 AM