Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to play with EMC2 and G code without an actual mill

Ignoramus5280 wrote:

I would like to somehow practice EMC2 (milling application, 3 axis),
and G-code and other such things, without actually running a mill. It
would be a "simulation". What kind of software can I use.

Ergo, say, if I could specify the tool geometry, location, raw
material geometry and location, then applied G-Code, I want to see
what I would end up with AS IF I machined it.

Any suggestions?

Preferably Linux

thanks

FYI, what you're looking for is really a CAM simulator, not CNC control
like EMC2.

I haven't played with EMC2, but I expect that it's like Mach3 and
defaults to a "demo" mode, i.e. a configuration where it isn't expecting
feedback from an actual machine so it can run "blind" with no machine
connected.

I'm sure EMC2 will show you the toolpath movements when running and the
toolpath simulation, since EMC did and Mach3 does. The CNC control
toolpath simulation only shows you the moves, it does not attempt to
show anything relating to the cutter geometry or the actual material
being machined. I believe most CNC controls are that was since the
cutter geometry is the domain of the CAM software that is generating the
G code, not the domain of the CNC controller.