Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT-The Scientist

"I'd argue that we know our **** much more than 3 percent of the time - I'd
put it at closer to 8 or 9 percent at least," said Dr. Mark Phillips of the
California Institute of Technology.

"Um - and I'm not just saying that because I need to justify all that grant
money," he added.

But one prominent scientist who asked not to be named said the report was
accurate, and maybe even gave scientists more credit than they were actually
due. "I know I've just been making **** up for years," he said. "All we
really do back at the laboratory is sit around drinking Nehi and playing
World of Warcraft."

The study places scientists high on the list of professionals who don't know
**** about their purported areas of expertise, which also includes
pollsters, politicians, journalists, sportscasters and TV weathermen.

"Even philosophy professors do better, mainly because you can't prove their
bull**** is wrong," said Dr. Crawford.

http://www.crystalair.com/content.php?id=32200802007

Best Regards

Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 16:29:10 -0800, "azotic" wrote:

"I'd argue that we know our **** much more than 3 percent of the time - I'd
put it at closer to 8 or 9 percent at least," said Dr. Mark Phillips of the
California Institute of Technology.

"Um - and I'm not just saying that because I need to justify all that grant
money," he added.

But one prominent scientist who asked not to be named said the report was
accurate, and maybe even gave scientists more credit than they were actually
due. "I know I've just been making **** up for years," he said. "All we
really do back at the laboratory is sit around drinking Nehi and playing
World of Warcraft."

Prominent scientist who asked not to be named? Prominence requires
somewhere between willingness and avarice for attribution. What
changed?

The study places scientists high on the list of professionals who don't know
**** about their purported areas of expertise, which also includes
pollsters, politicians, journalists, sportscasters and TV weathermen.

Commentary from an aspirant denied tenure or respect by peers is far
from a study but certainly preferable to murder.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 27, 10:29*am, "azotic" wrote:
[...]

Total Crap. If it were true, scientific endeavor would have stopped
with the steam engine. Where do you get such ludicrous ideas that fail
even the most basic common sense deduction.....

Andrew VK3BFA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

azotic wrote:
http://www.crystalair.com/content.php?id=32200802007

I don't know if azotic didn't get it, or if he was trolling. He did get
a couple of bites, so here's the stopper: crystalair is SATIRE!

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 27, 11:17*pm, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
azotic wrote:
http://www.crystalair.com/content.php?id=32200802007

I don't know if azotic didn't get it, or if he was trolling. *He did get
a couple of bites, so here's the stopper: crystalair is SATIRE!

Bob

Mmm, the subtlety and complexity of the American Language - your right
Bob, did hit a button tho...the horrible thing is, there will be
people who agree with it!
Andrew VK3BFA.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--What's different about scientists is they *admit* they don't know
**** and then they try to figure it out. That's more than one can say for
folks in those other trades...

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Blue Cross socks us
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : $23,000/yr!! ...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 00:42:39 -0600, the infamous Don Foreman
scrawled the following:

[...]

Um, think "The Onion", Don. Didn't you go to the linked site? It's a
spoofer.

--
Pessimist: One who, when he has the choice of two evils, chooses both.
--Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 12:35:22 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Um, think "The Onion", Don. Didn't you go to the linked site? It's a
spoofer.

I didn't. Shoulda.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Um, think "The Onion", Don. Didn't you go to the linked site? It's a
spoofer.

The potty mouth language in the piece was a give away. Now if it was a government
official instead of a scientist, I might have bought into the charade.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
azotic wrote:
http://www.crystalair.com/content.php?id=32200802007

I don't know if azotic didn't get it, or if he was trolling. He did get a
couple of bites, so here's the stopper: crystalair is SATIRE!

Bob

Just injectiong some humor.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 17:09:58 -0500, Wes wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Um, think "The Onion", Don. Didn't you go to the linked site? It's a
spoofer.

The potty mouth language in the piece was a give away. Now if it was a government
official instead of a scientist, I might have bought into the charade.

Wes

That tell eluded me. I was a senior staff research puke (not exactly
my title but descriptive enough) in a corporate puzzle palace, managed
to be presentable enough most days but I could blister paint as well
as any Combat Engineer when provoked.

The effect of doing that in an executive conference room awash in
political correctness and bull**** can be interesting and amusing.

There's something to be said for use of language appropriate to a
situation that may not be appropriate in other situations.

Almost 30 years ago a recently-divorced woman of about my age showed
up at work as a temp secretary. She was quiet but friendly, witty and
quite attractive. She had a BSBA Magna Cum Laude but she also had a
kid to support, she could type a million words a minute or so and she
needed a job.

A young technician who worked for me played a trick on her, came up
behind her and poked her in the ribs. The soft-spoken buttoned-up
40-ish lady would be startled and what a good joke, right? Not quite.
She read him off fit to do a drill instructor proud, shrivel the
dingle of a Hells Angel, blister the paint on the loading dock. It
wasn't loud but nobody within earshot missed a word of it. It was
wonderful. Young toughguy hotdog Shawn looked like he was gonna melt
down in a puddle of piddle.

A pursuit ensued. She wasn't lookin' for a man so soon after divorce
but she didn't run so fast I couldn't catch her. It took a while, but
she eventually became my companion and teammate and after a couple of
decades my wife. Best thing that ever happened to me.

It's still a very bad idea to **** her off. I love that about her!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

You married a lady that can stand her ground on her own, that is an very appealing
quality. I bet any misunderstandings and points of contention that came up have been
dealt with fairly swiftly during your happy marriage.

Thanks for sharing,

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 00:46:04 -0600, the infamous Don Foreman
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Um, think "The Onion", Don. Didn't you go to the linked site? It's a
spoofer.

The potty mouth language in the piece was a give away. Now if it was a government
official instead of a scientist, I might have bought into the charade.

Wes

That tell eluded me. I was a senior staff research puke (not exactly
my title but descriptive enough) in a corporate puzzle palace, managed
to be presentable enough most days but I could blister paint as well
as any Combat Engineer when provoked.

The effect of doing that in an executive conference room awash in
political correctness and bull**** can be interesting and amusing.

I'd purely love to have seen that, Don. Har!

[...]

ROTFLMAO!

A pursuit ensued. She wasn't lookin' for a man so soon after divorce
but she didn't run so fast I couldn't catch her. It took a while, but
she eventually became my companion and teammate and after a couple of
decades my wife. Best thing that ever happened to me.

Most excellent story, Don.

It's still a very bad idea to **** her off. I love that about her!

Still carrying the Nomex earplugs, hmm?