Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Soldered copper roof - how much solder?

I know, I know, I'm breaking some sort of tradition here by posting a question
with actual metalworking content... but diligent Googling has failed to
produce an answer to this question.

I need to repair a flat metal roof over a bay window. Replace it, actually.
Original construction used galvanized steel, 55 years ago. The steel has
rusted through, as I discovered to my dismay last week when water began
dripping into the house. Temporarily, the leaks are patched with tar. When the
weather warms up, and I can depend on a few consecutive warm dry days, I
intend to rip the whole flat roof out, replace the water-damaged wood decking
and framing, and roof it with copper as it should have been done in 1955. Pics
will be posted when the project is finished.

So, finally, I get to my question: I figure I'm going to have about 50 feet of
seams to solder. How many pounds of solder should I plan on needing to do the
job?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 24, 9:13*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
[...]

Maybe someone who’s in that business could give you a quick answer:
http://josephjenkins.com/store/home.php
http://www.traditionalroofing.com/TR6_solder.html
If left to my own devices, I'd probably just experment on a small
sample and then estimate what I needed. You'll probably spend much
more on the copper.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

A lot of the answer will involve how nice a joint you start with, how
much solder you need to gob on. If all the joints are folded lap seams
that are hammered flat and you are just sealing the seam, you could do
the whole thing with a pound of solder. If the fit up is lousy, you
could use a lot more. For the usual things I run into on these sorts of
jobs I think I'd start with about pound for 20 feet.

Doug Miller wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Doug sez:
"So, finally, I get to my question: I figure I'm going to have about 50 feet of
seams to solder. How many pounds of solder should I plan on needing to do the
job?"

The better question would relate to heat, fux and cleanliness. If proerly pepared, surprisingly
little solder is required.

Bob Swinney

"Doug Miller" wrote in message ...
I know, I know, I'm breaking some sort of tradition here by posting a question
with actual metalworking content... but diligent Googling has failed to
produce an answer to this question.

I need to repair a flat metal roof over a bay window. Replace it, actually.
Original construction used galvanized steel, 55 years ago. The steel has
rusted through, as I discovered to my dismay last week when water began
dripping into the house. Temporarily, the leaks are patched with tar. When the
weather warms up, and I can depend on a few consecutive warm dry days, I
intend to rip the whole flat roof out, replace the water-damaged wood decking
and framing, and roof it with copper as it should have been done in 1955. Pics
will be posted when the project is finished.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 10:22:32 -0600, the infamous "Robert Swinney"
scrawled the following:

Doug sez:
"So, finally, I get to my question: I figure I'm going to have about 50 feet of
seams to solder. How many pounds of solder should I plan on needing to do the
job?"

The better question would relate to heat, fux and cleanliness. If proerly pepared, surprisingly
little solder is required.

Don't forget flatness/closeness of the joint. Flat, close plates meld
with much less solder than gapers do. Angle comes into play on a roof,
too. How much will roll off with 3 degrees too much heat?

I wish he were closer. I'd love to help with that job just for the
experience with copper.

--
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it
exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Strap sez:

"Don't forget flatness/closeness of the joint. Flat, close plates meld
with much less solder than gapers do. Angle comes into play on a roof,
to. How much will roll off with 3 degrees too much heat?"

All are included under "proper preparation",
Bob Swinney

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 10:22:32 -0600, the infamous "Robert Swinney"
scrawled the following:

Doug sez:
"So, finally, I get to my question: I figure I'm going to have about 50 feet of
seams to solder. How many pounds of solder should I plan on needing to do the
job?"

The better question would relate to heat, fux and cleanliness. If proerly pepared, surprisingly
little solder is required.

I wish he were closer. I'd love to help with that job just for the
experience with copper.

--
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it
exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong
remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I don't know the solder answer. But, as a former
(you never really lose it) volunteer fire fighter,
be sure to have a hose at hand in case something
gets lit up.

As a WAG, I'd start with two pounds on hand.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Doug Miller" wrote in