Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT- Product Of The YEAR! -Somebody Should Get A Nobel Prize For This-

"Winston" wrote in message
On 2/9/2010 9:18 AM, David Courtney wrote:
The Wisconsin DOT just sent out a flyer with my license plate
renewal,
claiming "Crash statistics show that roundabouts reduce fatal crashes by
about 90%, reduce injury crashes about 75%, and reduce overall crashes by
about 35% when compared to other types of intersection control."
www.wisconsinroundabouts.gov
"Today's roundabouts are much smaller than the "traffic circles" of
earlier years."

About 82.54% of statistics are made up on the spot, though.

--Winston

--
Support the blind and deaf. Hire a building contractor today!

Yes, they claim that studies over the past 25 years support
rotary/roundabout intersections... my 30 year-old Highway Design textbook
lists 6 serious drawbacks and says "Because of these disadvantages, highway
engineers in the U.S. seldom recommend the use of rotary intersections for
new construction."
When I lived out east, cities were removing them as fast as they could
fund the work, now they are popping up all over the midwest. LOL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/9/2010 12:40 PM, David Courtney wrote:

(...)

Yes, they claim that studies over the past 25 years support
rotary/roundabout intersections... my 30 year-old Highway Design textbook
lists 6 serious drawbacks and says "Because of these disadvantages, highway
engineers in the U.S. seldom recommend the use of rotary intersections for
new construction."
When I lived out east, cities were removing them as fast as they could
fund the work, now they are popping up all over the midwest. LOL

I guess the rotaries exhibit 'constant ambiguity' rather than
'intermittent ambiguity'. I can get a ticket for stopping at
an unlit "flow control" traffic light on a freeway onramp or
I can get a ticket for failing to stop at an unlit traffic light
at an intersection.

Context is everything.

I expect that rotary intersections use less electric power than
do intersections sporting traffic lights, so they are 'green' on
a couple different levels.

--Winston

--
Support the blind and deaf. Hire a building contractor today!