Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Machining a chuck, and removing leadscrew/apron (pictures)

The pages have some explanations.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...ining-A-Chuck/

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...n-Disassembly/

I have one question only, which is what is the sludge at the bottom of
gearboxes made of.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Ignoramus20464 wrote:

The pages have some explanations.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...ining-A-Chuck/

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...n-Disassembly/

I have one question only, which is what is the sludge at the bottom of
gearboxes made of.

Dashed hopes and gear teeth.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-02-07, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus20464 wrote:

The pages have some explanations.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...ining-A-Chuck/

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...n-Disassembly/

I have one question only, which is what is the sludge at the bottom of
gearboxes made of.

Dashed hopes and gear teeth.

Well, as they go, the gears are in a not so bad shape.

But yes, there are metal shavings in there, which I found out by
taking a magnet to the outside of the jar with the contents. I think
that gears did wear some, but not much.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,

On 2010-02-07, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus20464 wrote:

The pages have some explanations.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...ining-A-Chuck/

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...n-Disassembly/

I have one question only, which is what is the sludge at the bottom of
gearboxes made of.

Dashed hopes and gear teeth.

Well, as they go, the gears are in a not so bad shape.

But yes, there are metal shavings in there, which I found out by
taking a magnet to the outside of the jar with the contents. I think
that gears did wear some, but not much.

It's normal to find some shavings in the sump. For one thing,
newly-made gears are not perfectly shaped, and the initial run-in does
the final machining. Once the mating surfaces are perfected, wear and
shaving generation basically stops, so long as there is sufficient oil.

For very critical gears, one standard trick is to run mating pairs
together in a special fixture for a while with very fine abrasive dust
in the grease (such as that made by Clover). When all the meshing
surfaces are uniformly frosted/polished, wash the gritty grease away
completely, and use clean oil thereafter.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus20464 wrote:

Well, as they go, the gears are in a not so bad shape.

But yes, there are metal shavings in there, which I found out by
taking a magnet to the outside of the jar with the contents. I think
that gears did wear some, but not much.

Looked pretty nice from the pictures. I hope you kept your shim packs separated.

How did the half nuts look? Drive key also.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-02-07, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus20464 wrote:

Well, as they go, the gears are in a not so bad shape.

But yes, there are metal shavings in there, which I found out by
taking a magnet to the outside of the jar with the contents. I think
that gears did wear some, but not much.

Looked pretty nice from the pictures. I hope you kept your shim packs separated.

Yes, every clamp and its shims is in a separate bag and they all have
a label as to where they go (right vs left)

How did the half nuts look? Drive key also.

The half nuts are junk. They were also packed with dirt, but they are
no good. Just barely have remainders of threads hanging on.

I have cleaned the shaft completely, I think (and my friend confirms)
that the shaft is in very good shape.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-02-07, Wes wrote:

How did the half nuts look? Drive key also.

Wes, the apron is at my friend's place getting cleaned, but I will
remember to look. If it is worn, now is the time to replace it. I did
not think about it, thanks for reminding.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-02-07, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,

On 2010-02-07, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus20464 wrote:

[...]

Yes, the amount of shavings is small and I am not worried.