Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default insulate a pipe

I'm putting a thermostat on my landlord's solar hot water heater. It has
about one foot of exposed copper pipe at the top of the unit. I'd like to
put the sensor there. It sits out in the south Florida sun and salt air.

What insulating material would hold up to this environment?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article s.com,
"Karl Townsend" wrote:

I'm putting a thermostat on my landlord's solar hot water heater. It has
about one foot of exposed copper pipe at the top of the unit. I'd like to
put the sensor there. It sits out in the south Florida sun and salt air.

What insulating material would hold up to this environment?

Karl

Foamed glass, but it's a bit archaic. The air conditioning guys down
that way should have an idea of plastics that hold up, if any do.
Fiberglass works if you can keep it dry, but that's a big if there.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
I'm putting a thermostat on my landlord's solar hot water heater. It has
about one foot of exposed copper pipe at the top of the unit. I'd like to
put the sensor there. It sits out in the south Florida sun and salt air.

What insulating material would hold up to this environment?

Karl

How about "Great Stuff"?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The black foam that HVAC tubing uses, should work. For a
while.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Karl Townsend" wrote in
message
anews.com...
I'm putting a thermostat on my landlord's solar hot water
heater. It has
about one foot of exposed copper pipe at the top of the
unit. I'd like to
put the sensor there. It sits out in the south Florida sun
and salt air.

What insulating material would hold up to this environment?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 17:45:07 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

I'm putting a thermostat on my landlord's solar hot water heater. It has
about one foot of exposed copper pipe at the top of the unit. I'd like to
put the sensor there. It sits out in the south Florida sun and salt air.

What insulating material would hold up to this environment?

Do you mean the insulation on the sensor's lead wires? Teflon has good
UV resistance.

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote in message

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
I'm putting a thermostat on my landlord's solar hot water heater. It has
about one foot of exposed copper pipe at the top of the unit. I'd like to
put the sensor there. It sits out in the south Florida sun and salt air.

What insulating material would hold up to this environment?

Karl

How about "Great Stuff"?

I thought you were joking. It looks like just the thing to use.

Thanks

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote in message

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
I'm putting a thermostat on my landlord's solar hot water heater. It has
about one foot of exposed copper pipe at the top of the unit. I'd like
to put the sensor there. It sits out in the south Florida sun and salt
air.

What insulating material would hold up to this environment?

Karl

How about "Great Stuff"?

I thought you were joking. It looks like just the thing to use.

Thanks

Karl

i'd think great stuff is very vulnerable to UV (i've seen it here turn brown
and erode as a result of what i assume is UV attack). i'm wondering about
putting a covering of aluminum foil scrunched over it, tie it on with
stainless safety wire?

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"William Wixon" wrote in message

i'd think great stuff is very vulnerable to UV (i've seen it here turn brown
and erode as a result of what i assume is UV attack). i'm wondering about
putting a covering of aluminum foil scrunched over it, tie it on with
stainless safety wire?

That should work. I used to live in Tucson and we used heavy duty Al foil
to cover all kinds of stuff to keep the UV off. Plastic pipes & wire were
just wrapped and no additional securing wires were needed. Then again
we never had hurricanes to deal with. Beware of the woodpeckers. If
it sounds hollow they'll peck it to pieces looking for bugs.

Art

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote in message

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
I'm putting a thermostat on my landlord's solar hot water heater. It has
about one foot of exposed copper pipe at the top of the unit. I'd like
to put the sensor there. It sits out in the south Florida sun and salt
air.

What insulating material would hold up to this environment?

Karl

How about "Great Stuff"?

I thought you were joking. It looks like just the thing to use.

Thanks

Karl

My reputation is THAT bad, eh?

(side note)

My new .38 cast 148 gr. wadcutter with 3.0 gr. of 700X are making one raged
hole at 25'. That's the best of six loads I tried. The same load works as
well in my S&W 442 as it does in my S&W Model 19 and no leading in either.
I can cast 36 pieces per minute easily and tumble-lubed with diluted liquid
Alox. I think I have the "magic" load for this powder and bullet. How's
the .308 and the Dillon? I have a bunch of 124 gr. 9mm Truncated Cone
bullets cast if you want to try some.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My reputation is THAT bad, eh?

Its worse.

(side note)

My new .38 cast 148 gr. wadcutter with 3.0 gr. of 700X are making one
raged hole at 25'. That's the best of six loads I tried. The same load
works as well in my S&W 442 as it does in my S&W Model 19 and no leading
in either. I can cast 36 pieces per minute easily and tumble-lubed with
diluted liquid Alox. I think I have the "magic" load for this powder and
bullet. How's the .308 and the Dillon? I have a bunch of 124 gr. 9mm
Truncated Cone bullets cast if you want to try some.

That would be a big Roger on the 9mm bullets. "The Kid" and I have found a
great new hobby to spend together - loadin' one evening then shootin' the
next day. Just a couple months ago, I thought 1000 rounds was a lot of ammo.
Guess I'm wrong.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
I'm putting a thermostat on my landlord's solar hot water heater. It has
about one foot of exposed copper pipe at the top of the unit. I'd like to
put the sensor there. It sits out in the south Florida sun and salt air.

What insulating material would hold up to this environment?

Karl

The standard thing done in industry is to use pre-formed fibreglass have
pipes ,which are held together by wrapping with duct tape. The entire lagged
pipe is then covered with Colourbond steel sheet metal, rolled into a shape
that can be slipped over the insulation. The linear joint is held together
with pop rivets or self tapping screws.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Cool! This is the bullet:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=340779

E-mail your ship-to address and I will send you some. They will be lubed
with the diluted liquid Alox. It's hardly noticeable and looks like a
varnish but it seems to work well at less than hot loads. They cycle in my
XD-9 just fine. What pistol powder are you using? I fell into 16# of IMR
700X, so that's my pistol powder for a while, a bit slower than Bullseye.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"William Wixon" wrote:
i'd think great stuff is very vulnerable to UV (i've seen it here turn brown
and erode as a result of what i assume is UV attack). i'm wondering about
putting a covering of aluminum foil scrunched over it, tie it on with
stainless safety wire?

b.w.

You can get black spray foam which is supposed to be more UV durable.
The pond folks seem to use a lot of it. Or you put on enough of the tan
stuff that what turns dark brown serves the same purpose. Nothing much
is permanent.