Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Harbor Freight die grinder

Has anyone tried Harbor Freight electric die grinder:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus6241" wrote in message
Has anyone tried Harbor Freight electric die grinder:

I have not used the electric one. I have used both their cheap and their
more expensive air operated ones. The cheap one failed after a couple years
of very light use. The more expensive one is still working fine. If you
want I can get the number. I keep it in the original box in my air tools
box. If you don't have air there is no point of course.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:

"Ignoramus6241" wrote in message
Has anyone tried Harbor Freight electric die grinder:

I have not used the electric one. I have used both their cheap and their
more expensive air operated ones. The cheap one failed after a couple years
of very light use. The more expensive one is still working fine. If you
want I can get the number. I keep it in the original box in my air tools
box. If you don't have air there is no point of course.

There are no reviews for it he

http://hfreviews.com/item.php?id=1505

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have one & don't use it much. When I need a die grinder, the regular
size is usually enough. You'd only need the big one for removing larger
quantities of material. I've not had any need for the extra long nose.

As far as quality, I'd say it's in the same class as the 4-1/2" angle
grinder.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
There are no reviews for it he

http://hfreviews.com/item.php?id=1505

Oh, great site! Well, great idea - I'll have to use it a bit to see if
it's actually useful. I'll check its credibility by looking at the
reviews of stuff that I already own.

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Has anyone tried Harbor Freight electric die grinder:

I got one of those last year and I like mine. When I first got it,
the front bearing got so hot I could barely hold it. Some of the guys
here said to take it back right away and others said that they do that
until they wear in. I figured it would be easier to justify a return
if it failed, so I turned it on and left it run. Over time (I think
about two or three 30 minute runs) the problem went away. The finish
on the collett is a little on the rough side, but it functions.

I consider mine to be used lightly. I don't know how it would hold up
in commercial use, but for what I do, it serves the pupose.

I use mine with a cutoff wheel. It's what I use to put the gash in
end mills I resharpen on my surface grinder.

The current $40 is a better price. Last year they typically sold for
$50 when not on sale and $40 on sale.

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 22, 7:55*pm, Ignoramus6241
wrote:
Has anyone tried Harbor Freight electric die grinder:

I have one.
It is amazingly effective for the cost.
For one application, I powered it with a variac, to get the speed way
down.

Then when I tried my friend's die grinders made by Makita or Bosch, I
envied the quiet, smooth operation.
So now my blaze orange-yellow die grinder is tool of shame in my shop
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have not used the electric one. I have used both their cheap and their
more expensive air operated ones. The cheap one failed after a couple
years
of very light use. The more expensive one is still working fine. If you
want I can get the number. I keep it in the original box in my air tools
box. If you don't have air there is no point of course.

I have and use both electric and air, plus a Foredom. My electric is a 14k
rpm Makita. Each is good for different situations. The Makita cuts like
butter, but it only has one speed. The others are better where variable
speed is needed.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I looked at a few items, and the site appears to be written
by real people. Great link, thank you.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in
message ...
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
There are no reviews for it he

http://hfreviews.com/item.php?id=1505

Oh, great site! Well, great idea - I'll have to use it a
bit to see if
it's actually useful. I'll check its credibility by looking
at the
reviews of stuff that I already own.

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-01-23, Bob La Londe wrote:
"Ignoramus6241" wrote in message
Has anyone tried Harbor Freight electric die grinder:

I have not used the electric one. I have used both their cheap and their
more expensive air operated ones. The cheap one failed after a couple years
of very light use. The more expensive one is still working fine. If you
want I can get the number. I keep it in the original box in my air tools
box. If you don't have air there is no point of course.

yes, please post a number.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks, guys. I want to use mine mostly for cleaning in hard to reach
areas.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
There are no reviews for it he

http://hfreviews.com/item.php?id=1505

Oh, great site! Well, great idea - I'll have to use it a bit to see if
it's actually useful. I'll check its credibility by looking at the
reviews of stuff that I already own.

I was looking for a review of rolling head pry bars. Like ITEM 97387-1VGA.

I bought two sets at the HF near Names 2009. Broke all but one, that one bent a bit easy.

While wondering about grinder quality, my Dremel grinder is dead again. The brushes are
connected to wiring via a stab in connector. I got it going once, I need to get it going
again. I expected better from name brand.

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 23, 12:46*pm, Wes wrote:
Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
* *There are no reviews for it he

http://hfreviews.com/item.php?id=1505

Oh, great site! *Well, great idea - I'll have to use it a bit to see if
it's actually useful. *I'll check its credibility by looking at the
reviews of stuff that I already own.

I was looking for a review of rolling head pry bars. *Like ITEM 97387-1VGA.

I bought two sets at the HF near Names 2009. *Broke all but one, that one bent a bit easy.

While wondering about grinder quality, my Dremel grinder is dead again. *The brushes are
connected to wiring via a stab in connector. *I got it going once, I need to get it going
again. *I expected better from name brand.

Wes

Break the Dremel habit, get a pneumatic micro-die grinder! HF usually
has them cheap enough you can buy several, keep them tooled up and
just swap. If one wears out(hasn't happened to me yet), they're
disposable. Just takes a drop of oil down the air intake every time
you use it.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
There are no reviews for it he

http://hfreviews.com/item.php?id=1505

Oh, great site! Well, great idea - I'll have to use it a bit to see if
it's actually useful. I'll check its credibility by looking at the
reviews of stuff that I already own.

I was looking for a review of rolling head pry bars. Like ITEM 97387-1VGA.

Just use the 5 digit number: 97387

http://hfreviews.com/item.php?id=5330

I bought two sets at the HF near Names 2009. Broke all but one, that one bent a bit easy.

While wondering about grinder quality, my Dremel grinder is dead again. The brushes are
connected to wiring via a stab in connector. I got it going once, I need to get it going
again. I expected better from name brand.

I've had several Dremel tools die. One shorted out and tripped the
breakers in the shop, leaving me in the dark. I've had better luck from
the imports, which is sad.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:

I have not used the electric one. I have used both their cheap and their
more expensive air operated ones. The cheap one failed after a couple
years
of very light use. The more expensive one is still working fine. If you
want I can get the number. I keep it in the original box in my air tools
box. If you don't have air there is no point of course.

I have and use both electric and air, plus a Foredom. My electric is a 14k
rpm Makita. Each is good for different situations. The Makita cuts like
butter, but it only has one speed. The others are better where variable
speed is needed.

Use a light dimmer to adjust the speed.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I looked at a few items, and the site appears to be written
by real people. Great link, thank you.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in
message ...
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
There are no reviews for it he

http://hfreviews.com/item.php?id=1505

Oh, great site! Well, great idea - I'll have to use it a
bit to see if
it's actually useful. I'll check its credibility by looking
at the
reviews of stuff that I already own.

Thanks,
Bob

You are both welcome. So far the only bad tool I bought from harbor
Freight was one of their 6 in 1 screwdrivers that had a burr in the
handle that wouldn't let you insert a bit one way. Not bad, considering
I started buying from them in the '70s.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.