Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default New from MIT's labs: RoboClam

Yes, a robotic clam. Don't ask. It may be the animal least likely to be
emulated with robotics:

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2008/roboclam-1125.html

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pinstripe Sniper" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:
Yes, a robotic clam. Don't ask. It may be the animal least likely to be
emulated with robotics:
http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2008/roboclam-1125.html

Hi Ed, I do fondly remember being quite impressed at how fast clams
could dig/burrow down the first few times I tried.

A stronger/more dynamic anchor could be very useful, especially if it
has an unburrow/release capability where you retain the entire
assembly.

If the MIT reseach is the first time someone has associated generation
of a fluidized bed by the clam burrowing, then I'd say it is a fairly
interesting discovery. I'd also say it's a rather sobering reminder
of how poorly we know/understand our natural world.

(how's that for some bait to turn this thread into a tangent on the
global climate change woohaa) :-)

Sheesh. A sensible response. Be still, my heart... g

Yeah, if you find that interesting, you have the mind of a true engineer. I
thought the video was very interesting, if a little weird. And, yes, they
may well come up with something useful as a result of their work.

It's just a little jarring. I used to dig the darned things with my toes and
toss them into a floating bucket. We joked about keeping them as pets. When
I first saw the headline, all I could think of was a robot that slammed its
doors shut. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress