Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Weird hex size

Hello. I have M3-threaded hex spacers with about 4.53 mm across
flats. What could be the nominal size be ? It's way too small to
be 5 mm, probably too big to be 4.5 mm and it's 5% away from
3/16" (~4.76 mm) which looks at bit too sloppy to be true.

--
André Majorel URL:http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/
"Marque nouvelle. Dans le stock. Les navires de FL, les

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 09:39:05 +0000 (UTC), the infamous Andre Majorel
scrawled the following:

Hello. I have M3-threaded hex spacers with about 4.53 mm across
flats. What could be the nominal size be ? It's way too small to
be 5 mm, probably too big to be 4.5 mm and it's 5% away from
3/16" (~4.76 mm) which looks at bit too sloppy to be true.

Oh, shucks! When I read the subject line, I thought this was going to
be a nice witchy thread starting up. Darn.

--
Society is produced by our wants and government by our wickedness.
--Thomas Paine
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'd call it at 4.5 mm.. The difference of .03 mm is equivalent to .
00118", well within 'normal' manufacturing tolerance and certainly a
4.5mm open end wrench [if there is such a beast] would fit.. For sure
a 'universal metric fitzall' AKA 4" crescent wrench would work
fine.. ;-)

On Jan 3, 1:39*am, Andre Majorel wrote:
Hello. I have M3-threaded hex spacers with about 4.53 mm across
flats. What could be the nominal size be ? It's way too small to
be 5 mm, probably too big to be 4.5 mm and it's 5% away from
3/16" (~4.76 mm) which looks at bit too sloppy to be true.

--
André Majorel URL:http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/
"Marque nouvelle. Dans le stock. Les navires de FL, les
Etats-Unis. Service de client exceptionnel garanti."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-01-03, wagewhore wrote:
On Jan 3, 1:39*am, Andre Majorel wrote:

Hello. I have M3-threaded hex spacers with about 4.53 mm across
flats. What could be the nominal size be ? It's way too small to
be 5 mm, probably too big to be 4.5 mm and it's 5% away from
3/16" (~4.76 mm) which looks at bit too sloppy to be true.

I'd call it at 4.5 mm.. The difference of .03 mm is equivalent to .
00118", well within 'normal' manufacturing tolerance and certainly a
4.5mm open end wrench [if there is such a beast] would fit.. For sure
a 'universal metric fitzall' AKA 4" crescent wrench would work
fine.. ;-)

If only there was room for that... But you're right. Tried a 4.5 mm
spanner and it's awkward but it does fit. Thanks.

--
André Majorel URL:http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/
"Marque nouvelle. Dans le stock. Les navires de FL, les
Etats-Unis. Service de client exceptionnel garanti."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wagewhore wrote:
I'd call it at 4.5 mm.. The difference of .03 mm is equivalent to .
00118", well within 'normal' manufacturing tolerance and certainly a
4.5mm open end wrench [if there is such a beast] would fit.. For sure
a 'universal metric fitzall' AKA 4" crescent wrench would work
fine.. ;-)

Don't you mean a 100mm adjustable wrench???
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Andre Majorel writes:

Hello. I have M3-threaded hex spacers with about 4.53 mm across
flats. What could be the nominal size be ?

5mm. See:

http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/US2010/P2405.pdf