Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Time to get tougher

So how is it that we are not a representative democracy? That *is*
what you're saying, isn't it?

Not really, I'm saying we weren't orginally set up as a representative
democracy. We, by and large, are NOW, but then and now are two different
times.

Do try to remember we are talking of THEN, not NOW.

(insert "another one bites the dust" midi sound file.)
http://www.hittrax.com.au/wmp_bk.asp...T&artist=QUEEN

Indeed the primary condition for a republic is that it is NOT a
monarchy. Which we have. Now whether our government is elected by
popular vote or by a select group is up for grabs, because currently
we use BOTH.

Who votes in our government without having been elected
democractically, as or by our elected representatives?

Sorry, but if they are elected by representatives, then they have the vote
and the person they elect represents THEM.

However, let's try a thought experiment.

Let's say a lot of people are elected to represent them in the Electorial
College and they say they want their representative to vote a specific
way. Now let's say a lot of those representatives chose to vote
differently and the person they elect is in no way the person that the
people wanted to be elected by them.

All this is, BYW, perfectly possible and even legal under our current
system.

So was the person who was elected, a representative of the people or just
those people who could vote for him?

Because once you remove the vote for office from the people, the results
have ceased to be representative democracy, but rather a pyramid scheme in
which the actual people isn't represented by the final person elected, but
a representative of those who elected him/her.

So, no, in this case we are not a representative democracy but an
oligarchy. That we elect those in the oligarchy in no manner alters the
fact THEY decide who the President shall be, not the people.

another thought experiment. 2012, sarah palin/glenn beck win the popular
vote but the electoral college re-install barack hussein obama/joe biden for
a 2nd term.

b.w.