Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RLM RLM is offline

Default Slightly OT BUT METAL CONTENT

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 08:51:45 -0800, Steve B wrote:

I want to make some leaders of a special nature for fishing. What I want to
make are pieces of wire, starting about 2" long, then the ends spiraled to
make two eyes with a straight piece in the middle. I would put a sinker on
the straight part before making the second eye.

What type of high strength wire would I use? I could probably get some old
guitar wires from a music shop and use the ones that don't have the
secondary spiral winding. Or is there just a simple type of commonly
available wire? Picture hanging wire is cheap, and it is kinda springy.
Mainly, I want it not to bend too much or be soft and break from flexing.

Steve

Google wire leader.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 24, 9:51*am, "Steve B" wrote:
I want to make some leaders of a special nature for fishing. *What I want to
make are pieces of wire, starting about 2" long, then the ends spiraled to
make two eyes with a straight piece in the middle. *I would put a sinker on
the straight part before making the second eye.

What type of high strength wire would I use? *I could probably get some old
guitar wires from a music shop and use the ones that don't have the
secondary spiral winding. *Or is there just a simple type of commonly
available wire? *Picture hanging wire is cheap, and it is kinda springy..
Mainly, I want it not to bend too much or be soft and break from flexing.

Steve

If you were here, I'd say hit Bass Pro and see what they have. I've
seen stainless leader there. See what Cabela's has for fishing
tackle.

The local train store has a lot of music wire, some stainless. Ditto
for one of the local hardware stores.

If you HAVE to do mail order, Brownell's sells music wire for spring
making, get some of the smaller stuff.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RLM" wrote

Google wire leader.

Do they come with a slip sinker?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill Noble" wrote in message
fishing leader is sold in stores, it's made from stainless steel wire - at
least what I've seen here -

Are they sold with sliding sinkers?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

To all: I need to make some very short pieces because if I use too long of
a piece of anything, it tends to tangle with the lure when casting. Right
now, I use the twist on leads with the rubber centers. I want something
that will not kink the line or tangle when cast, or slide up from the lure.
I will attatch to the lure with a split ring.

HTH

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I want to make some leaders of a special nature for fishing. What I want to
make are pieces of wire, starting about 2" long, then the ends spiraled to
make two eyes with a straight piece in the middle. I would put a sinker on
the straight part before making the second eye.

What type of high strength wire would I use? I could probably get some old
guitar wires from a music shop and use the ones that don't have the
secondary spiral winding. Or is there just a simple type of commonly
available wire? Picture hanging wire is cheap, and it is kinda springy.
Mainly, I want it not to bend too much or be soft and break from flexing.

Steve

http://tinyurl.com/ycdv854

There are crimp fittings useful in making eyes. The crimping pliers
are under 10 bux. Bass Pro, Cabela's, Gander Mountain, etc.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RLM RLM is offline

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 20:15:44 -0800, Steve B wrote:

"RLM" wrote

Google wire leader.

Do they come with a slip sinker?

You buy the crimp on sleeves or ferules at the bait or sporting goods
store and make the leaders to your spec's. Add a sliding sinker, crimp
leader with loop at each end. Or put a swivel with clasp on one end.

http://www.castawaylakes.com/LeaderSleeves.html