Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT-sleeping computers

It seems that you are not supposed to turn off the newer computers. My new
one (Compaq, made by HP) can only be put to sleep or made to hibernate,
although how to do the latter I have not discovered yet. One of the many
things about it that freaks me out is, that it chooses to wake itself up in
the middle of the day to do things!

The real question is, however, what is the energy consumption of these
things in a sleep mode? There is nothing in the manual or the specs on line
that says.

I am hardly an eco-bigot but I have a visceral dislike of anything sucking
juice when it does not have to.

--
Michael Koblic
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 23, 5:27*pm, "Michael Koblic" wrote:
It seems that you are not supposed to turn off the newer computers. My new
one (Compaq, made by HP) can only be put to sleep or made to hibernate,
although how to do the latter I have not discovered yet. One of the many
things about it that freaks me out is, that it chooses to wake itself up in
the middle of the day to do things!

The real question is, however, what is the energy consumption of these
things in a sleep mode? There is nothing in the manual or the specs on line
that says.

I am hardly an eco-bigot but I have a visceral dislike of anything sucking
juice when it does not have to.

--
Michael Koblic
Campbell River, BC

None of my computers are "newer", my latest is from 2005 and runs XP
Pro. Hibernation is in Power Options.

The Kill A Watt meter shows up to a couple of Watts in Sleep, zero in
Hibernate, can't check it while posting. I usually Hibernate, which
saves RAM to disk, and then shut off all power with an outlet strip
switch.

Hibernate works well and powers up quickly. It doesn't like having USB
devices unplugged while off.

The Kill A Watt P3 is quite useful, displaying true and apparent
power, amps, volts and frequency which is relevant with a UPS. We
discussed it in alt.energy.homepower a while ago and one poster
reported that its readings matched lab equipment very well. Around
here they have finally appeared in stores.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
[...]

OK, I make it about $14 a year sleeping...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
... XP Pro. Hibernation is in Power Options.

... I usually Hibernate, which saves RAM to disk, ...

Hibernate works well and powers up quickly. ...

I've had XP for a few years (?). I never know about "hibernate", or I
never knew how it worked. It is neat how fast it comes back (30 sec
+-), with all the apps there, to. I'm sold.

Thanks for the tip,
Bob