Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Brake Cleaner

From the Logan Lathe List: A scary story about brake cleaner

http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 21, 4:45*pm, rangerssuck wrote:
From the Logan Lathe List: A scary story about brake cleaner

http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

Found that out when I was working as a mechanic in a shop heated by an
old waste-oil furnace- the bit of brake-cleaner fumes floating around
got sucked into the machine, and I have to suppose either some of the
combustion products were making it into the room, or the hot metal
that warmed the air was hot enough to decompose the stuff.

Burned R12 can turn into phosgene, as well. Don't know about the
hazards of the newer stuff, it lacks chlorine (I think) and I think
that's the main bit that makes it 'interesting'.

The uses of brake cleaner or R12 for producing these chemicals on
purpose is left as an exercise for the student...

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 13:53:45 -0800 (PST), Dave__67
wrote:

On Dec 21, 4:45*pm, rangerssuck wrote:
From the Logan Lathe List: A scary story about brake cleaner

http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

Found that out when I was working as a mechanic in a shop heated by an
old waste-oil furnace- the bit of brake-cleaner fumes floating around
got sucked into the machine, and I have to suppose either some of the
combustion products were making it into the room, or the hot metal
that warmed the air was hot enough to decompose the stuff.

Burned R12 can turn into phosgene, as well. Don't know about the
hazards of the newer stuff, it lacks chlorine (I think) and I think
that's the main bit that makes it 'interesting'.

The uses of brake cleaner or R12 for producing these chemicals on
purpose is left as an exercise for the student...

Dave

Indeed...a not so secret substance as part of a number of formulas for
mayhem among the "black community" (race not involved)

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 13:45:11 -0800 (PST), rangerssuck
wrote:

From the Logan Lathe List: A scary story about brake cleaner

http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

R12 refrigerent does exactly the same thing if heated (as do all
"freons"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ouch, that sounded painful. And, it's a good warning.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Dave__67" wrote in message
On Dec 21, 4:45 pm, rangerssuck
wrote:
From the Logan Lathe List: A scary story about brake
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" fired this volley in
:

Burned R12 can turn into phosgene, as well.

Not _merely_ burning it, Stormy. As is also the case with carbon
tetrachloride, contact with hot iron-bearing materials catalyses the
material into phosgene and a couple of other not-so-nice-to-breathe
combustion by-products (like free chlorine gas).

Simply introducing it into a flame decomposes the material, usually
liberating chlorine and fluorine as the offending gasses.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 08:40:08 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" fired this volley in
:

Burned R12 can turn into phosgene, as well.

Not _merely_ burning it, Stormy. As is also the case with carbon
tetrachloride, contact with hot iron-bearing materials catalyses the
material into phosgene and a couple of other not-so-nice-to-breathe
combustion by-products (like free chlorine gas).

Simply introducing it into a flame decomposes the material, usually
liberating chlorine and fluorine as the offending gasses.

LLoyd

In addition, chlorinated compounds used to remove oils from metals may
also react under the UV created during arc (including TIG and MIG)
welding to produce phosgene.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

rangerssuck wrote:

From the Logan Lathe List: A scary story about brake cleaner

http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

First time I got around to reading it. It has been posted elsewhere.

I've used Brakekleen a lot of times for cleaning and I could see me, prior to your post,
using it to clean something I was going to silverbraze.

Now I got to read the lable on electromotive cleaner before I buy another can.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

I don't know what made this guy so sick, but it wasn't the phosgene
exposure.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Richard J Kinch wrote:
http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

I don't know what made this guy so sick, but it wasn't the phosgene
exposure.

What, you don't think phosgene exposure is a problem?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 21:32:33 -0600, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

I don't know what made this guy so sick, but it wasn't the phosgene
exposure.

I'd tend to agree with you. The immediate symptoms of Phosgene
inhalation are burning throat and tightness of breath. The bowel and
urine symptoms seem to be non-typical - perhaps due to some bad
chinese for lunch???

The exposure from a couple of drops in a well-ventilated area are
unlikely to have caused this severe reaction. I'm thinking more likely
cadmium or zinc poisoning. His symptoms more closely resemble heavy
metal poisoning - which causes the same respiratory distress response
becaus it also causes hydrochloric acid burns to the respiratory
system, due to zinc chloride.

Zinc and other heavy metal poisoning are cumulative - if you have EVER
suffered a mild case you are in high danger of a serious episode with
any further exposure.

Oven cleaner and Mildew cleaner fumes (respirator) techman41973 Home Ownership 5 May 15th 09 05:19 PM
Box Pan Brake Rob[_14_] Metalworking 1 November 17th 08 05:24 PM
Finger brake vs. press brake Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 12 May 28th 06 04:29 PM
Diacro Brake Max Krippler Metalworking 3 November 19th 05 07:35 AM
Questions about pan and box brake Eric R Snow Metalworking 3 June 8th 04 10:41 PM