Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Obama Accepts Nobel Peace Prize

"John R. Carroll" wrote:

Wes wrote:
BottleBob wrote:

Are you working again BottleBob? I saw some on topic posts thought
maybe you un-retired.

You can't usually do something you liked for decades and just turn
off your interest in it.
But no, I'm not un-retired, even though I did go in to the shop to
finish some parts a couple of Sunday's ago that had to be delivered
Monday morning - when my old boss asked me to.

So how did you feel about it when asked to saddle up once again?

Apropos of nothing whatsoever, my Mother sent me this today.
You probably knew a lot of it and forgot.
Ed will know somehng of the Hamtramck history.

How much do you remember? I remember it all.

Bagley's Corner was the original name of Bloomfield Hills.

I wonder that it would do to property values if the name reverted?

There are over 11,500 lakes in Michigan .

Didn't we get in a tiff with Minnesota over the 10,000 lake state or something on our
plates back in the 70's?

In Sept. 1908, William C. Durant organized several independent automobile
plants into what was to become General Motors.

Michigan began charging an annual license fee of 50 cents in 1915 for
Autos

Mom's used GMC Jimmy she bought for 5500 has a 116 dollar annual registration fee now.
My used Saturn SL I bought for 7800 has a 56 dollar annual registration fee. I guess now
they figure plates on what the vehicle originally cost. Not what they are worth now.

In 1942, the Davison Freeway in Detroit was completed and became the
world's first urban freeway.

I wonder what shape it is in now

The first soft drink, (Vernor's Ginger Ale) was introduced by a Detroit
Pharmacist, James A Vernor,
in 1866. Note: There were several 'elixirs' on the market at that time,
including what would later be
called Coca Cola. These contained alcohol, whereas Vernor's didn't. Thus
the name 'soft' drink

I love Vernor's.

In 1688, Father Jacques Marquette founded the first permanent settlement
in what would later become Michigan .

Hard not to know that living here.

The world's first shopping ma ll (Northland Mall), opened in the Detroit
suburb of Southfield in 1954.News papers from overseas as well as this
country wrote that it would never catch on......Duh?

I bet Walmart would blow their minds.

The world's first painted highway center lines were featured in Trenton ,
Mi in 1911. They were used in other towns and was how Centerline, Mi. got
its name.

Michigan ranks Number 1 nationally in the production of dog sleds.

Really?

The nation's largest indoor/outdoor museum complex is Henry Ford Museum
and Greenfield Village

And I've never been there. I keep hoping to get there.

The onion is Michigan 's largest fresh-market vegetable crop.

It isn't potatoes?

YOU'RE AN OLD DETROITER (OR JUST OLD) if .......

You rode the elevator at J. L. Hudson's, which was 'run' by an elevator
operator.

I'm old enough to remember elevator operators, I just wasn't in Detroit.

You remember Twin Pines Dairy delivered milk and juice to the chute on the
side of your house and Milky the Clown performed magic with the magic words
'Twin Pines.'

I was living in Indiana back then. The "Home Juice Co." delivered milk and orange juice
to a insulated aluminum box on grandma's front porch.

Your Mom saved Holden Red Stamps, S&H Green stamps, or Gold Bell Gift
stamps, and you licked them into those little books.

I remember licking and sticking S&H into those books.

Kresge's and Woolworth's were 'Dime Stores.'

SS Kresge's. My other Grandma used to take me there quite often.

Sadly, I remember when Detroit, Pittsburg, Akron, Dayton, ect were the names of industrial
power houses, not crumbling relics.

Wes