Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What is it? Set 314

"Andrew Erickson" wrote in message
In article , "Rob H."
wrote:

I need some help on the second item this week, I've shown it to a lot of
tool collectors but no one has recognized it:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

I thought that I might stand a better chance on that item, seeing as I'm
not a tool collector (at least not in the sense of making it a study or
avocation), but alas, that didn't help me any.

1795 -- Made by the "Ideal Manufacturing Company," I see...not that it's
a real help knowing that. This would appear to clamp onto a table or
similar, and seems to be set up for rather precise adjustable rotation
of the handle mechanism. Somehow, it looks rather optically related to
me; perhaps it's an adjuster for a reflector for a camera or microscope?
Perhaps a part of a telescope mount?

1796 -- Ummm...no idea. So maybe therefore a wire fence tightener?

1797 -- Applicator for graphite lubricant or other powered compound
(chalk dust as a casting mold release agent?)

1798 -- Can opener?

1799 -- Tongs for holding something hot--maybe laboratory glassware?

1800 -- Roofers tool, maybe for working with metal roofing (forming
various crimps, cuts, etc.)?

Now to see other people's guesses...

--
Andrew Erickson

dang, i shoulda guessed "can opener". after the person said "cigar cutter"
i was like "oh".

1799. i think the tongs are for grasping a hot coal to light a tobacco
pipe, oldy time like.

b.w.