Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default LEBLOND lathes any good

Anybody have or use LEBLOND 15" X 30" lathe

There is one available for under 2K and i am considering buying it.

Any design flaws or common problems with Leblonds ?

Seems comparable to a monarch 10ee its a heavy machine a 2500#

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--

I don't know much about them, but I do know if it's in decent shape you are
one lucky dawg.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"azotic" wrote in message
Anybody have or use LEBLOND 15" X 30" lathe

There is one available for under 2K and i am considering buying it.

Do you know the model and age? My pre WW2 Leblond with babbit bearing and
top speed of 600 was good for its time. Not worth much today. OTOH a Servo
Shift is one EXCELLENT machine. In general all the newer Leblonds are fine
machine tools.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote:

Do you know the model and age? My pre WW2 Leblond with babbit bearing and
top speed of 600 was good for its time. Not worth much today. OTOH a Servo
Shift is one EXCELLENT machine. In general all the newer Leblonds are fine
machine tools.

I often make use of a servo shift Leblond, it has been an excellent machine.

How many rpm will the spindle on your lathe do?

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Karl Townsend" wrote:

Do you know the model and age? My pre WW2 Leblond with babbit bearing and
top speed of 600 was good for its time. Not worth much today. OTOH a Servo
Shift is one EXCELLENT machine. In general all the newer Leblonds are
fine
machine tools.

I often make use of a servo shift Leblond, it has been an excellent
machine.

How many rpm will the spindle on your lathe do?

The antique 16 x 120 Leblond does 600
The 22 x 72 Mazak M4 does 2000
The Monarch 10EE does 3600
The Hardinge CHNC does 5000

I've been pining for a servo shift about 14 or 16 by 48 or 60. My better
half suggested I don't need another lathe. She just don't understand the
need for more tools!

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 10, 7:51*pm, "azotic" wrote:
Anybody have or use LEBLOND 15" X 30" lathe

There is one available for under 2K and i am considering buying it.

Any design flaws or common problems with Leblonds ?

Seems comparable to a monarch 10ee its a heavy machine a 2500#

Best Regards
Tom.

Like many have said....what is the age of the machine. Back in the day
I used many a Leblond....the day being the 80's when the machines were
already like 30 years old. Great stuff to learn on...and to make good
parts on. These things were in my high school...imagine the abuse a
bunch of high school students can dish out...the Leblonds held up very
well. However...without seeing pics/age/ect.....its a guessing game.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 18:51:44 -0800, "azotic" wrote:

Anybody have or use LEBLOND 15" X 30" lathe

There is one available for under 2K and i am considering buying it.

Any design flaws or common problems with Leblonds ?

Seems comparable to a monarch 10ee its a heavy machine a 2500#

Best Regards
Tom.

Its one helll of a fine lathe, assuming its in good shape

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"azotic" wrote:

Anybody have or use LEBLOND 15" X 30" lathe

There is one available for under 2K and i am considering buying it.

Any design flaws or common problems with Leblonds ?

Seems comparable to a monarch 10ee its a heavy machine a 2500#

Well? Did you buy it?