Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default It works!!

I am not finished but last night I just could not wait anymore so I
striped some insulation off the wires and hooked it up to each panel
and fliped the breaker. My lights inside and out side came on in the
detached garage! I assume that this is a good sign that everything is
ok with my wire pull?

One thing I notices is I had identified each wire on one end but not
the other. This may sound stupid, but I attached a 12 volt 2 amp car
battery charger on one end and went to the other unlabeled end with a
volt meter. I found each wire but my meter only said about 8 volts.
Also, on the other wires that were not connected to my charger my volt
meter fluctuated between 0 and .01 volts. Is that normal?

I first tried testign with a lan tester or whatever it is called. You
put a sendor on one end and take a proble and touch the wire on the
other end. The problem with this is all the wires made it beep. If the
ones not attached to the transmitter. What would cause that?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 1, 7:24*am, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
stryped fired this volley in news:fab5df1f-5aef-
:

One thing I notices is I had identified each wire on one end but not
the other.

One would hope that next time you'll think about that.

This may sound stupid, but I attached a 12 volt 2 amp car
battery charger on one end and went to the other unlabeled end with a
volt meter. I found each wire but my meter only said about 8 volts.

That would be about the average DC value of the unfiltered, full-wave
rectified waveform. (a bit low, but in the realm...)

Also, on the other wires that were not connected to my charger my volt
meter fluctuated between 0 and .01 volts. Is that normal?

High input-resistance meter, antenna effect on the open leads... yeah,
normal.

I first tried testign with a lan tester or whatever it is *called. You
put a sendor on one end and take a proble and touch the wire on the
other end. The problem with this is all the wires made it beep. If the
ones not attached to the transmitter. What would cause that?

Crosstalk coupled (hah!) with a complete misunderstanding of how to use
the toner set.

LLoyd

I followed the directions. How was I supposed to use it?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote

I am not finished but last night I just could not wait anymore so I
striped some insulation off the wires and hooked it up to each panel
and fliped the breaker. My lights inside and out side came on in the
detached garage! I assume that this is a good sign that everything is
ok with my wire pull?

Heated my container up Friday. When the lights come on, it's almost
orgasmic, isn't it?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 1, 8:00*am, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
stryped fired this volley in news:cc806346-d479-42cd-
:

I followed the directions. How was I supposed to use it?

On twisted pairs, Stryper; on twisted pairs.

Lacking that, you could try loading the pair at the remote end. *But, then,
you didn't know which pair to load, did you? G

Labeling is SO easy, you should get in the mindset of labeling everything,
even if only with a Sharpie and a couple of cryptic letters.

LLoyd

I did label both ends with colored tape. But, after workign all day on
my hands and knees pulling wire, I cur the excess wire off at one
panel, not thinking about the tape on the end of the wire. So, it was
a dumb mistake on my part.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 07:23:14 -0800 (PST), stryped wrote:

I did label both ends with colored tape. But, after workign all day on
my hands and knees pulling wire, I cur the excess wire off at one
panel, not thinking about the tape on the end of the wire. So, it was
a dumb mistake on my part.

Couldn't you use your meter to compare the DC polarity of the voltage at
the charger to the DC voltage polarity you measure at the unlabled ends
to sort out which wire of a given pair is which?

--
Email address is a Spam trap.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message

Heated my container up Friday. When the lights come on, it's almost
orgasmic, isn't it?

Steve

You guys need to get out more often! ;-)
Greg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:

I did label both ends with colored tape. But, after workign all day on
my hands and knees pulling wire, I cur the excess wire off at one
panel, not thinking about the tape on the end of the wire. So, it was
a dumb mistake on my part.

That is what an ohm meter is for. You are not the first to have a brain fart.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote:

Heated my container up Friday. When the lights come on, it's almost
orgasmic, isn't it?

Figured out today that I've spent 20 dollars in the last 34 days heating my machine room.
Some of that is from elevating the heat to dry the mud.

I'd never earn a living as a drywall guy.

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Greg O" wrote:

You guys need to get out more often! ;-)

When your man cave has all the appointments, life doesn't get much better.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-12-01, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
stryped fired this volley in news:fab5df1f-5aef-
:

One thing I notices is I had identified each wire on one end but not
the other.

One would hope that next time you'll think about that.

This may sound stupid, but I attached a 12 volt 2 amp car
battery charger on one end and went to the other unlabeled end with a
volt meter. I found each wire but my meter only said about 8 volts.

That would be about the average DC value of the unfiltered, full-wave
rectified waveform. (a bit low, but in the realm...)

And the meter should read about the same at the charger end of
the lines as well. So yes, it is normal. If you want the full voltage,
add an electrolytic capacitor (perhaps 100 uF 25VDC) across the
charger's leads. You will probably get something above the nominal
12VDC -- probably 14-15 VDC at a guess.

Also, on the other wires that were not connected to my charger my volt
meter fluctuated between 0 and .01 volts. Is that normal?

High input-resistance meter, antenna effect on the open leads... yeah,
normal.

Yep!

I first tried testign with a lan tester or whatever it is called. You
put a sendor on one end and take a proble and touch the wire on the
other end. The problem with this is all the wires made it beep. If the
ones not attached to the transmitter. What would cause that?

Crosstalk coupled (hah!) with a complete misunderstanding of how to use
the toner set.

Yes -- tie the other wires to ground and that should remove most
of the crosstalk.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking