Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Powermatic 1200 pictures

Here are some pics of my "new" drill press.
The Anniversary sticker,
http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/w...arysticker.jpg
The whole thing,
http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/w...rmatic1200.jpg
VFD
http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/w...1200/LRVFD.jpg
Vice,
http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/w...200/LRVICE.jpg
Bend knob and bent adjustment shaft,
http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/w...djustshaft.jpg
Left side,
http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/w...LRleftside.jpg
Speed control and name plate,
http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/w...eedcontrol.jpg
Table, I guess it does have more than one hole!
http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/w...00/LRtable.jpg

I cobbled the VFD up to the motor to see if it runs and the drive works and
it is very smooth and quiet. I had the max hertz set at 120 and did not
realize it at first so at even 2x the motor nameplate RPM it is still quiet!
My cheapy, Taiwan built Jet is noisier. The casting for the speed control
where it bolts to the frame is broken, for now a large washer through the
mounting hole seems to hold it. I probably will weld it up at some point.
Then the table lift crank is buggered up, but I think it should be an easy
repair. I just need to mount the VFD, and wire it up properly with run,
stop, and reversing switches where the factory on/off switch is and other
than a good cleaning it should be ready to go to work. For those not
familiar with this drill press, it stands 6'5" tall., and weighs a bunch!
--
Greg O

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Looks awesome. Mine is a newer version, with a stamped guard.

Try it with coolant, you can just mix a bit and use a spray
bottle. You will like it. Just make sure to break chips into pieces.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 21:05:58 -0600, "Greg O"
wrote:

[...]

Very very very nice!

You can mount the VFD on the Left side of the head, near the motor, by
simply bringing a couple 1/8'x1" bars off the motor mount plate and
putting on a piece of aluminum or steel plate and mounting the VFD on. I
did that with my Rockwell. My VFD has a speed pot on the front of it..so
it was a no brainer

The left side made more sense to me..the righthanded guy, because I can
run the quill and change speed at the same time. YMMV of course.

Which reminds me..a buddy is a strong lefthander..and has reversed the
quill handle on his drill presses. Drives me nuts to use his
tools....lol
Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

Very very very nice!

You can mount the VFD on the Left side of the head, near the motor, by
simply bringing a couple 1/8'x1" bars off the motor mount plate and
putting on a piece of aluminum or steel plate and mounting the VFD on. I
did that with my Rockwell. My VFD has a speed pot on the front of it..so
it was a no brainer

The left side made more sense to me..the righthanded guy, because I can
run the quill and change speed at the same time. YMMV of course.

Which reminds me..a buddy is a strong lefthander..and has reversed the
quill handle on his drill presses. Drives me nuts to use his
tools....lol
Gunner

Just what I am planning on doing, except I plan on pulling the OEM on/off
swictch from the front of the machine, and put a start button, and reverse
button there. I may put a speed pot along with them.
Greg

Moen 1200 Cartridge - Which way is up? [email protected] Home Repair 8 January 15th 21 03:31 AM
Pictures of Steve Russell's stone crusher onalt.binaries.pictures.woodworking Steve Russell Woodturning 0 July 13th 07 02:22 PM
AKAI AA-1200/1175 [email protected] Electronics Repair 4 June 16th 07 11:59 AM
HF 1200 CFM DC cc Woodworking 13 May 3rd 07 06:41 PM
$1200 dkhedmo Home Repair 23 September 26th 06 06:55 AM