DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Should I move to Idaho? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/292565-re-should-i-move-idaho.html)

Don Foreman November 25th 09 07:15 AM

Should I move to Idaho?

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 17:03:19 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

California is dying as an industrial power. It at one time was the 7th
largest economy in the world. No longer. Its the #3 hardest hit state
in the looming Great Depression Part Deux, only behind Michigan with
its Rust Belt.

And Im not getting any work in my current trade, machine tool repair.

So Ive been looking around a bit at other states for employment..and
Id like to ask you folks for your input.

Some prelims...

Im 56yrs old, had some medical issues, now largely resolved.

Im tecnically oriented and can troubleshoot electrionics at assembly
level, machine, lathe and mill, can fix complex mechanical assemblies,
can weld, do woodworking, gunsmithing, can do commecial and industrial
electricial. Ive worked as a lumberjack, oil field roughneck etc etc
etc.

Frankly...there isnt much that I cant do. I detest retail work, paper
work, suit and tie work. Im honest, motivated, self starter,
experinced in job requirements and meeting them. I deal well with
others and can supervise others well. However..Ive spent my life
working as an individual technician and dont fit well in a herd.
Shrug. Im good at what I do..far too many out there simply sucking on
the paycheck.

Give me a task, tell me where the parts are..and go away. Ill finish
the job and ask for another.

So anyways..Ive been considering moving out of California..after being
here for 30+ yrs.

Idaho is simply one of the states Im considering but the one Im
focused on at the moment.

If anyone has suggestions for other states..feel free to toss em
in..Id be happy to look at them.

I figure Im good for another 15-20 yrs working. Shrug

So anyone have any good or bad things to say about Idaho? Its
economy, chances for growth and employment and so forth.

Im interested in perhaps moving out of California...heading anyplace
that I can prosper enough to keep myself and my family alive and
eating regularly.

Anyone?

Im not moving tommorow, next week or next month. Next
year...shrug...gotta have someplace to go, before figuring out how to
get there.

Gunner

I don't know jack about Idaho, but perhaps your focus should be on
what rather than where.

You can do commercial and industrial electrical, but only as a scab
and that can be hard work even when scab work is available. It
obviously isn't. If you can repair complex mechanical assemblies,
you've opted not to fix your own truck so that obviously doesn't
appeal to you. You may be able to troubleshoot electronics, but I
rather doubt that you can do it better than zit-faced eager hungry
young techs with recent training, young families, strong motivation
and willingness to tolerate whatever crap they must for a paycheck.
You ain't gonna be a lumberjack or oilfield roughneck at age 60 and
beyond.

Your most consistent interest and passion has to do with guns. If
you're really serious about a new course, I'd say build on that. You
know guns and their use, you can respect people who respect guns, and
you have at least rudimentary skills in machining and smithing. The
people most likely to be tolerant of your idiosyncrasies are those who
appreciate and covet fine firearms and will pay handsomely to have
them made for them. There are people with money to spend even in
recessions. Hell, you know how nuts sales of AR-15's has been since
the election, even in a down economy.

A few men with modest lathes, some tooling and considerable skills who
can craft rifles that win BR matches and/or craft pistols that are
exquisite in design and function have far more work than they can do
even in the present economy and perhaps especially at present. They
can live where ever they want and most do live in rural to remote
locales. Age doesn't matter, nor does physical frailty that
inevitably accompanies advancing age. You say you're good for another
15 to 20 and maybe you are, but I'll note that being 68 is definitely
different from being 56. YMMV.

Buerste November 25th 09 09:02 AM

Should I move to Idaho?

wrote:

[...]

I'd second that! Add to that a FFL and deal arms on the net. That's how
I've purchased a few and I'm happy with the transactions.

Gunner Asch[_4_] November 25th 09 09:36 AM

Should I move to Idaho?

wrote:

[...]

Good post indeed.

Though I should mention that only on paper am Im 56..I still run the
tails of most kids. But yes..in only a few years...Im going to start
slowing down.

it should be noted that the majority of electricians in california are
NOT union. Union electricians are actually a very small minority. Just
a heads up.

As for not fixing my truck...its not because I cant..its because I
hate working on vehicles. Shrug. I work on complex mechanical stuff
all day long fixing machine tools and CNC machine tools. A great deal
of which is far far more complex than an engine. And one seldom
smashes ones fingers, has to lay down on ones back under a machine and
so forth.

California however..really isnt a good place for gunsmiths. We cant
even buy AR-15s here..shrug. There used to be quite a number of
them...one per town..and now they are all dead and gone..and no one is
interested enough in replacing them.

I do my own gunsmithing. Have for years. Built a number of arms from
scratch, upgraded/converted many more.

I suppose I could look into doing it for others..but in my area..there
are about 5 smiths..and thats about all that they really need. And
while I do my own stock work..few people ..at least here...can afford
to have stock work done other than doing it themselves.

Now I do have a couple CNC lathes..and have been pondering what sort
of gun related Stuff I could make and sell...ebay has a number of
machine shops selling gun Stuff ...some reasonable..some very
expensive. Im seeing less and less of them however. That $75 hr
machine time tends to eat up profits for a shop, even if its side
work. I can, of course..do it a hell of a lot cheaper..working out of
ones home is far cheaper.

Got any good suggestions as to products I could make and sell that
way?

As for ideosyncrisies... my Newsgroup persona may or may not match my
Real World persona....VBG

Gunner

Gunner Asch[_4_] November 25th 09 09:46 AM

Should I move to Idaho?

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 04:02:40 -0500, "Buerste"
wrote:

A few men with modest lathes, some tooling and considerable skills who
can craft rifles that win BR matches and/or craft pistols that are
exquisite in design and function have far more work than they can do
even in the present economy and perhaps especially at present. They
can live where ever they want and most do live in rural to remote
locales. Age doesn't matter, nor does physical frailty that
inevitably accompanies advancing age. You say you're good for another
15 to 20 and maybe you are, but I'll note that being 68 is definitely
different from being 56. YMMV.

I'd second that! Add to that a FFL and deal arms on the net. That's how
I've purchased a few and I'm happy with the transactions.

Bear in mind..that I live in California. The state that has its own
permanant Assault weapons ban..and the state that most ads on the gun
auction websites specifically state they wont ship to.

Shrug

Gunner

Larry Jaques November 25th 09 01:48 PM

Should I move to Idaho?

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 01:15:35 -0600, the infamous Don Foreman
scrawled the following:

wrote:

[...]

--snip--
Gunner

--snip--

[...]

I'll bet that if he moved to somewhere outside of Vegas (similar
desert weather, though colder in winter), he'd easily have a chance
for a couple things:

1) Be hired by Ignazio Piazza as an instructor for training folks at
his Front Sight shooting city. (Not just a range, or so I've heard.)

2) With all his tooling and experience, fix guns and rig mechanisms
for the aforementioned folks or their clients.

You'd be an easily welcomed addition to Grass Pants, OR, too, Gunner,
but you'd spend half your time derusting all your stash.

--
It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare;
it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.

[email protected] November 25th 09 01:58 PM

Should I move to Idaho?

On Nov 25, 9:46*am, Gunner Asch wrote:

Bear in mind..that I live in California. *
Gunner

But you are thinking of fixing that.

Dan

[email protected] November 25th 09 03:27 PM

Should I move to Idaho?

wrote:

[...]

No, he can't. He doesn't know watts from watermelon. Nor can he do
high-school level mechanical diagnostics either, as evidenced by his
failure to figure out if a vehicle problem is fuel or ignition.

[...]

Some good advice there. But you overlooked a couple of major points.
1. People who've proven that they're happy with a subsistence
lifestyle for decades, and who can't do a simple responsible thing
like making their property taxes a priority over smoking, aren't
really capable of starting over and doing it right. 2. Gummer's
background wouldn't pass muster with any serious review. Employers are
in a buyer's market, there's no reason to reach very low in the barrel
of applicants. The places I can envision him getting a job - wrecking
yard, muffler repair shop, etc. But he wouldn't last a week.

Face it - Gummer's had a tough row to hoe for as long as he's been
posting here. His response, as always, is more posting. 900 times last
week to this newsgroup alone. You're dreaming if you expect anything
other than more of the same.

Wayne

Steve B[_2_] November 25th 09 05:15 PM

Should I move to Idaho?

wrote:

[...]

Hmmmmmm. Going to Texas and going into the gun business? Sounds like $$$
to me.

Steve

Don Foreman November 25th 09 06:09 PM

Should I move to Idaho?

wrote:

[...]

That might be why fine custom firearms come from places other than
California. Other difficult venues for such activity might be New
York City, New Jersey, Washington DC and Chicago. So what?

Don Foreman November 25th 09 07:56 PM

Should I move to Idaho?

wrote:

[...]

By "scab" I meant unlicensed rather than non-union. In MN, electrical
work for others must be done by a licensed electrician. Perhaps it's
different in CA. That's not to say that plenty of illegal work isn't
done, just as many domestic and agri jobs are done by illegals.

As for not fixing my truck...its not because I cant..its because I
hate working on vehicles.

What I said: you opted not to fix the truck. I don't wrench on
vehicles anymore either. But ability to do something is of no value
if you won't do it.

Shrug. I work on complex mechanical stuff
all day long fixing machine tools and CNC machine tools. A great deal
of which is far far more complex than an engine. And one seldom
smashes ones fingers, has to lay down on ones back under a machine and
so forth.

California however..really isnt a good place for gunsmiths.

If you don't really intend to leave CA then my entire note is
irrelevant -- as is this entire thread.

We cant
even buy AR-15s here..shrug. There used to be quite a number of
them...one per town..and now they are all dead and gone..and no one is
interested enough in replacing them.

I do my own gunsmithing. Have for years. Built a number of arms from
scratch, upgraded/converted many more.

I suppose I could look into doing it for others..but in my area..there
are about 5 smiths..and thats about all that they really need. And
while I do my own stock work..few people ..at least here...can afford
to have stock work done other than doing it themselves.

There are smiths with 6-month backlogs of work in some parts of the
country. These are guys with reputations for good work and fair
prices. Not low prices, fair prices for value received. One such is a
guy in his late '70's in Elbow Lake, MN.

Now I do have a couple CNC lathes..and have been pondering what sort
of gun related Stuff I could make and sell...ebay has a number of
machine shops selling gun Stuff ...some reasonable..some very
expensive. Im seeing less and less of them however. That $75 hr
machine time tends to eat up profits for a shop, even if its side
work. I can, of course..do it a hell of a lot cheaper..working out of
ones home is far cheaper.

Got any good suggestions as to products I could make and sell that
way?

As for ideosyncrisies... my Newsgroup persona may or may not match my
Real World persona....VBG

Suggesting that your claim of being honest may or may not be true?
VBG

Don Foreman November 25th 09 07:58 PM

Should I move to Idaho?

wrote:

[...]

Read your subject line, please.

Don Foreman November 25th 09 08:11 PM

Should I move to Idaho?

wrote:

[...]

I have no expectation one way or the other. I don't even give a damn
whether or not Gunner pays his taxes. I merely observe that he has
skills that are quite marketable and in demand right now and are
sustainable well past usual retirement age. Getting an FFL would be
obligatory. Finding work and establishing a reputation and growing
clientele outside of and well beyond CA would be the challenge.

I'll defer to you and others to judge and condemn.

Hawke[_3_] November 25th 09 09:16 PM

Should I move to Idaho?

[...]

Let's see. Although he claims to be able to work like a young man he's
going on 60, and he's had a heart attack and a stroke. His job skills
are not translating into making money like they used to. So he's getting
old, his ability to make a good living is declining, and the economy is
in a bad way. It's obvious that he's someone who can no longer compete
and win in a capitalistic economic system. There are winners and losers
in that kind of system and while at one time he was able to win, meaning
make a good living, it is looking more and more like he won't be able to
find or do anything that will ever bring him in any kind of real money.
So he's now relegated to a class of people he always had contempt for,
those who are poor and can't make a go of it in a free market system.
It's time to face the facts. He's going to be poor because he can no
longer compete in the free market.

You can't help but wonder if this circumstance will finally show him the
weakness of a system where only the strongest, smartest, and luckiest,
can have good lives, and everybody else has to get by on the crumbs. He
probably never thought he would end up old, poor, and helpless, but
that's about where he is. The sad fact is that is where most Americans
wind up. That is what makes it so astonishing that they all seem to
think the capitalist system is so great. Most people end up losers and
yet they still think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. In a
system where most of the players end up losers one has to wonder why.
Are they just stupid or are they brainwashed?

Hawke

Gunner Asch[_4_] November 25th 09 09:42 PM

Should I move to Idaho?

wrote:

[...]

No..its "not just a range"...and thats not a bad idea at all.

2) With all his tooling and experience, fix guns and rig mechanisms
for the aforementioned folks or their clients.

You'd be an easily welcomed addition to Grass Pants, OR, too, Gunner,
but you'd spend half your time derusting all your stash.

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton

[email protected] November 25th 09 10:18 PM

Should I move to Idaho?

wrote:

[...]

You have hope, gawd knows why.

I don't even give a damn
whether or not Gunner pays his taxes.

His oldest debts *aren't* taxes. But it doesn't matter if it's taxes
or whatever bills, people who make a habit of ignoring their
responsibilities are unlikely to be good hires. Employers know that,
and these days it's easier than ever to weed out the applicants who
are most likely to be a waste of time. Not that it takes much work in
this case considering that gummy posted a sort of a resume where he
complains about people who are "sucking on a paycheck". Talk about a
red flag. Start his own biz? Forget it, he tried that and failed
spectacularly.

I merely observe that he has
skills that are quite marketable and in demand right now and are
sustainable well past usual retirement age. Getting an FFL would be
obligatory. Finding work and establishing a reputation and growing
clientele outside of and well beyond CA would be the challenge.

I doubt that he has sufficient skills to make a living at firearms. He
seems to struggle at telling the difference between net and gross. And
I know he doesn't have the will to succeed at anything that requires
diligence.

I'll defer to you and others to judge and condemn.

You've *already* judged... wrongly, but aren't willing to admit it. If
some "libtard', to use the term favored by gummy et al, were posting
the same sob stories here, a whole bunch of phony conservatives would
be on him like ants at a picnic. But since it's a self-professed
libertarian/conservative/"democrat" snorf who's making a mockery of
conservatism, some of you prefer to pretend that he can or might
change his stripes. It's fricken ludicrous, and you know it. Only
recently gummy refused to get up from his keyboard to do work that he
"hates", but this week he's going to pack up and start over in Idaho?
LOL Oh wait, he didn't say that he'd actually move, he just wants to
talk talk talk about it. Can it get any more ridiculous? Yes, it can
and it will.

Wayne

ATP* November 25th 09 11:04 PM

Should I move to Idaho?

"Hawke" wrote in message

[...]

Actually, most do quite well by historical standards. Obviously the choices
people make along the way impact how well they're doing at the end stage.

Gunner Asch[_4_] November 26th 09 12:18 AM

Should I move to Idaho?

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 18:04:05 -0500, "ATP*"
wrote:

"Hawke" wrote in message

[...]

What..the Parakeet hasnt yet started waving around a copy of the
Manifesto and screaming Revolutions...Revolution!!!!

Chuckle...the work force will be readjusted in less than three years.

And he will be dead. Shrug.. Couldnt happen to a better guy.

Gunner

Ignoramus20054 November 26th 09 01:08 AM

Should I move to Idaho?

On 2009-11-25, Hawke wrote:
[...]

Well, there is always lottery.

Keep in mind that the average person will be living on an average
income. I would not call that person a loser. In fact, rich people in
many countries have fewer comforts and protections than an average
person in this country.

I think that you are committing a logical fallacy, by defining winners
too narrowly. I think that a person of average means, qualifies, in my
mind, as a "winner".

For obvious reasons, there is no foolproof way for an average person
that would enable one to live well above average. If there was, then
everyone would be above average!

There are, however, easy ways to lose and be below average. Not having
any marketable skills is one way to lose.

The other straightforward way to lose is to not save money for a rainy
day, or to borrow too much money.

For several years since late 1990's, we lived under illusion that we
are collectively richer than we actually were. The various collapses
of recent years amount simply to destruction of this imaginary
wealth.

You can't help but wonder if this circumstance will finally show him the
weakness of a system where only the strongest, smartest, and luckiest,
can have good lives, and everybody else has to get by on the crumbs. He
probably never thought he would end up old, poor, and helpless, but
that's about where he is. The sad fact is that is where most Americans
wind up. That is what makes it so astonishing that they all seem to
think the capitalist system is so great. Most people end up losers and
yet they still think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. In a
system where most of the players end up losers one has to wonder why.
Are they just stupid or are they brainwashed?

My main beef with the system is uncertainty whether I will be able to
maintain health coverage. It bugs me a great deal and I greatly hope
for some sort of universal coverage.

Everything else is not as unreasonable and usually leads to decent
allocation of resources.

Pete C. November 26th 09 03:34 AM

Should I move to Idaho?

wrote:

"Hawke" wrote in message

[...]

With capitalism, a few do really well, a few do really poorly and the
vast majority do pretty well.

With socialism, a few do really well and all the rest do so-so.

With communism, a very few do really well and all the rest do really
poorly.

I'll place my bets on my personally doing much better in a capitalist
system.

Gunner Asch[_4_] November 26th 09 04:16 AM

Should I move to Idaho?

wrote:

[...]

To be a gunsmith in California..is to live constantly under a microscope
held by antigunners. Ive known about 25 smiths since I moved here 30 yrs
ago. The ones that havent died..have moved to other states to run their
businesses.

Hostile Work Environment is not my idea of fun.

Gunner

Todd Rich November 26th 09 04:39 AM

Should I move to Idaho?

Gunner Asch wrote:
(snip)
To be a gunsmith in California..is to live constantly under a microscope
held by antigunners. Ive known about 25 smiths since I moved here 30 yrs
ago. The ones that havent died..have moved to other states to run their
businesses.

Hostile Work Environment is not my idea of fun.

Gunner

Note that Idaho is one of the states where you can legally own fully
automatic weapons. It is also a low humidity area (at least Southern
Idaho), with about 10" annual precip. It might get above 105F a few days
in August, but most of the summer isn't likely to top the mid 90s.

Of course I moved from Idaho to Pennsylvania about 9 years ago to be an
apprentice blacksmith (which never worked out, but I'm still happy here),
so I'm not up on the current state of the economy there.

jano November 26th 09 05:13 AM

Should I move to Idaho?

Gunner,

Looking at the pics you sent recently and reading the posts that have
been sent the Permian Basin of West Texas would not be a bad place to
look for a place to hang your hat. If you are good at what you do
people and businesses will find you. The humidity is low, temperatures
can be high, the wind can be miserable, maybe 9 inches of rain a year
average. Machine shops everywhere. Work is everywhere if you want to
work cheap to get your foot in the door.
Fort Worth is a good place to be, conservative folks, a large
town with a small town attitude. Dallas or Houston is the big city
attitude in this state. The West side and North side of Fort Worth
has it all except oil production. Barnett Shale gas play will last
decades more. I live about 100 miles west and the economy is depressed
and has been for some time. Times are tough but this part of the
state will make it. It is well diversified.

Scott

Hawke[_3_] November 26th 09 06:32 AM

Should I move to Idaho?

Well, there is always lottery.

Keep in mind that the average person will be living on an average
income. I would not call that person a loser. In fact, rich people in
many countries have fewer comforts and protections than an average
person in this country.

I think that you are committing a logical fallacy, by defining winners
too narrowly. I think that a person of average means, qualifies, in my
mind, as a "winner".

You have to understand that everyone can have their own idea of what
things mean, but then there are accepted standards of what something
means, which are often different. To most people a winner is not someone
who places "average". A winner is someone who does far better than
average and a loser is someone who does far less than average.
Statistically, most Americans fall into either average or below average.
By those standards most do not do well.

For obvious reasons, there is no foolproof way for an average person
that would enable one to live well above average. If there was, then
everyone would be above average!

There are, however, easy ways to lose and be below average. Not having
any marketable skills is one way to lose.

The other straightforward way to lose is to not save money for a rainy
day, or to borrow too much money.

I agree that what one does has a great effect on how he does. Working
hard, getting an education, saving and investing for the long run all
can work to put you in the winner category. Can is the key word.

For several years since late 1990's, we lived under illusion that we
are collectively richer than we actually were. The various collapses
of recent years amount simply to destruction of this imaginary
wealth.

They didn't have wealth. They had access to credit. Between credit
cards, home equity loans, home refinancing, and the like people got the
ability to spend unearned money. So they did. It made the economy grow
but it was not based on real wealth. When the value of homes declined so
has everything else.

My main beef with the system is uncertainty whether I will be able to
maintain health coverage. It bugs me a great deal and I greatly hope
for some sort of universal coverage.

Millions of us all agree with you there. Right now we're at the mercy of
for profit businesses who could not care less about our health or our
life. They're out to make as much money off us as they can and that's
all they care about. It's no wonder why this system is a failure.
Leaving us dependent on business who don't give a crap about us to keep
us healthy is a stupid idea.

Everything else is not as unreasonable and usually leads to decent
allocation of resources.

Not according to statistics. As of now 1% of the public owns as much as
the other 95% do. It's on par with third world dictatorships. It's a
fact that for Americans, even after working a whole lifetime, only 2%
can retire at anywhere near the level they did when working. That is an
awfully small fraction of people who have enough in savings, dividends,
and investments to provide for themselves in good style. Everyone else
can't live without Social Security, Medicare, and other government help.
The whole point is capitalism is advertised as a system that gives
people a level of prosperity greater than anything else. If only 2% can
retire with an estate worth anything then I wouldn't call Americans
prosperous. Dual income families making 12 bucks an hour each and
without health care isn't prosperity in my book. That's about what
average people are making in this country. All I am doing is pointing
out the facts. Americans have not done all that well and the future
looks like the next generations are going to do worse than their
parents. So maybe capitalism just had a few good decades and in the long
run is turning out to be no better than most of the other economic
systems mentioned. But it seems that even mentioning that capitalism
hasn't panned out for most Americans is a sacrilege, even to the losers.

Hawke

Don Foreman November 26th 09 07:10 AM

Should I move to Idaho?

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 15:18:18 -0700, wrote:

I merely observe that he has
skills that are quite marketable and in demand right now and are
sustainable well past usual retirement age. Getting an FFL would be
obligatory. Finding work and establishing a reputation and growing
clientele outside of and well beyond CA would be the challenge.

I doubt that he has sufficient skills to make a living at firearms. He
seems to struggle at telling the difference between net and gross. And
I know he doesn't have the will to succeed at anything that requires
diligence.

I'll defer to you and others to judge and condemn.

You've *already* judged... wrongly, but aren't willing to admit it.

No, Wayne, I haven't. I would take as much or more joy in seeing
Gunner become a net contributor as you seem to in disparaging and
condemning. Whether or not that happens is entirely up to Gunner.
I've no doubt that he could do it if so motivated. I think he'll live
his life as he will without regard to your opinions or mine or anyone
else's. If I were in his place that's what I'd do. That's what
you're doing in your off-grid remote hide from social contact beyond
usenet.

I don't condone irresponsibility, far from it. But I can certainly
understand contempt for a government, society and populace that sends
young men off to battle and then spits on those that manage to return
alive however damaged. I don't necessarily agree with that attitude
but I certainly do understand it. I accept that you can't understand
that if you didn't experience it.

You ridiculed SteveB for being armed when he goes to Vegas since you
go there slick with no mishaps thus far. If you had a few pucker scars
your attitude might be rather different. Or maybe not, I don't know.

Your world view from your anonymously remote off-grid hide, posting
with a pseudonym, is clearly very narrow with near-zero tolerance.
Please accept that as a bit of perspective, not a criticism. Perhaps
your experience and education are limited, or perhaps you're capacity
for humanity is on a par with the coyotes around your AZ hide. If so,
that's how it is and how you are, oh well and so be it.

I don't need to win an argument on usenet. I disdain cleverbicker. I
merely offer the foregoing for your consideration, should you care to
engage intellect rather than obsession or political dogma. You clearly
have an operative intellect and active imagination.

Gunner Asch[_4_] November 26th 09 12:47 PM

Should I move to Idaho?

wrote:

[...]

No. Im always honest.

I just may not be as "vocifferous" when dealing with Leftards in real
life.

Gunner

Gunner Asch[_4_] November 26th 09 12:50 PM

Should I move to Idaho?

wrote:

"Hawke" wrote in message

[...]

Very well stated!

Gunner

Gunner Asch[_4_] November 26th 09 12:51 PM

Should I move to Idaho?

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 04:39:03 +0000 (UTC), Todd Rich
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
(snip)
To be a gunsmith in California..is to live constantly under a microscope
held by antigunners. Ive known about 25 smiths since I moved here 30 yrs
ago. The ones that havent died..have moved to other states to run their
businesses.

Hostile Work Environment is not my idea of fun.

Gunner

Note that Idaho is one of the states where you can legally own fully
automatic weapons. It is also a low humidity area (at least Southern
Idaho), with about 10" annual precip. It might get above 105F a few days
in August, but most of the summer isn't likely to top the mid 90s.

Of course I moved from Idaho to Pennsylvania about 9 years ago to be an
apprentice blacksmith (which never worked out, but I'm still happy here),
so I'm not up on the current state of the economy there.

Thanks for the heads up. Thats the sort of info Im looking for.

Gunner, Central California..average rainfall is 4" per year

Gunner Asch[_4_] November 26th 09 12:52 PM

Should I move to Idaho?

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 21:13:02 -0800 (PST), jano wrote:

[...]

Many thanks! Good info!

Gunner

[email protected] November 26th 09 01:12 PM

Should I move to Idaho?

On Nov 26, 6:32*am, Hawke wrote:

[...]

If you try to figure out if Americans are winners, and only look at
the US, why of course the average American just does average. That is
by definition.

But if you look at the whole world, then the average American is a
winner. A dual income family making $12 each beats the hell out of
the average family in the world.

And while only 2% of the retired Americans can retire at the same
level of income as when they were working, that income level probably
beats the average of the rest of the world. And part of the reason is
that the average American has a below average savings rate. If you do
not save and invest money, how can you expect to have any income when
you are not working?

Do you save 10 to 15 % of your pretax income? If you do, you should
have no problem retiring with a decent income. If you don't, well you
have the freedom to choose.

Dan

[email protected] November 26th 09 03:40 PM

Should I move to Idaho?

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 01:10:51 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:

[...]

"If motivated". That's the key. If it hasn't happened yet, then it
isn't going to.

I think he'll live
his life as he will without regard to your opinions or mine or anyone
else's.

I disagree. I think it's possible that he might have made some changes
a long time ago if not for enablers like you. A single post from Ernie
at SEJW caused him to stop his political BS there. Take away his
approving audience and he might have used all the time he wasted on
Usenet for something productive. I've said it befo I think a lot of
you guys prefer his brand of entertainment to his success, and some of
you enjoy reading about his train-wreck lifestyle but won't ever admit
it.

If I were in his place that's what I'd do.

But you're not in his place. If you were then you wouldn't be wasting
your life on Usenet as he does.

That's what
you're doing in your off-grid remote hide from social contact beyond
usenet.

Oh please. I live 35 minutes driving from Walmart etc, and 12 miles
from a residential golf course subdivision. My social contacts beyond
Usenet take up more time than I'd like, but that's no different from
most people. Your need to pretend that I'm some kind of hermit is much
the same as gummer pretending that's he's a P.E. in everything but
cert. It's laughable.

I don't condone irresponsibility, far from it.

Baloney. Yesterday you wrote: "I don't even give a damn
whether or not Gunner pays his taxes". I suppose you'll say that not
caring is different from condoning. Well, it isn't to gummy, and
that's why you wrote it.

But I can certainly
understand contempt for a government, society and populace that sends
young men off to battle and then spits on those that manage to return
alive however damaged. I don't necessarily agree with that attitude
but I certainly do understand it.

So what? None of that has anything to do with gummer's problems. He's
his own worst enemy but he prefers to blame his issues on anyone and
everyone he can think of. His state is going broke, but he won't
accept that people like him are a huge part of the problem. Now he
hilariously pretends that his failure is somehow the fault of the
state, and that moving out could be a cure. Bloody hell.

I accept that you can't understand
that if you didn't experience it.

I understand more than you'll know, but that has nothing to do with
the subject at hand. You only put up these silly straw men because you
can't think of any better way to defend poor old gummy.

You ridiculed SteveB for being armed when he goes to Vegas since you
go there slick with no mishaps thus far. If you had a few pucker scars
your attitude might be rather different. Or maybe not, I don't know.

I ridiculed SteveB because his attitude is ridiculous. LV and
surrounding area has some 2 million people, the vast majority of which
don't feel the need for guns or police scanners in order to move
about. Face it, Steve is an overt racist, and his paranoia stems from
his hatred of minorities. He's just another irrationally fearful old
fart, something for which you seem to have a lot of empathy.

Your world view from your anonymously remote off-grid hide, posting
with a pseudonym, is clearly very narrow with near-zero tolerance.

I have lots of tolerance, too much in fact according to some of my
friends. But take a step back and look at what's going on here. Is
there anyone worth criticizing in this world? Of course there is. My
#1 is a person who's leeched more than anyone I've ever heard of, can
afford soda and cigarettes but not peanuts in property taxes, and who
advertises it all by wasting his life on Usenet. Your #1 is me. See
any difference?

Please accept that as a bit of perspective, not a criticism.

LOL Who do you think you're fooling? You must be up to a couple dozen
mentions of my "hide". Is that the best you can do?

Perhaps
your experience and education are limited,

It's because of my experience with deadbeats and BS artists that I was
able to recognize gummer for what he is.

or perhaps you're capacity
for humanity is on a par with the coyotes around your AZ hide.

Coyotes have a tendency to keep a low profile. If gummy were to
emulate that, we wouldn't be talking.

If so,
that's how it is and how you are, oh well and so be it.

Then why are you here?

I don't need to win an argument on usenet. I disdain cleverbicker. I
merely offer the foregoing for your consideration, should you care to
engage intellect rather than obsession or political dogma. You clearly
have an operative intellect and active imagination.

I'm happy to engage intellect. But you won't convince me you have one
by spinning tales about me. That's the kind of technique gummy uses.
It will work for you exactly as well as it works for him.

Wayne

Pete C. November 26th 09 03:52 PM

Should I move to Idaho?

Hawke wrote:

[...]

The fault with your argument here is that you are looking at the issue
with blinders on. Most Americans may well fit into the "average" quality
of life for Americans, with that few percent of Americans well above,
however those average Americans have a quality of life standard that is
vastly higher than most of the population of the world, and notably
higher than the quality of life of the bulk populations of most
"western" socialist countries.

Ignoramus17202 November 26th 09 07:56 PM

Should I move to Idaho?

On 2009-11-26, Hawke wrote:

Well, there is always lottery.

Keep in mind that the average person will be living on an average
income. I would not call that person a loser. In fact, rich people in
many countries have fewer comforts and protections than an average
person in this country.

I think that you are committing a logical fallacy, by defining winners
too narrowly. I think that a person of average means, qualifies, in my
mind, as a "winner".

You have to understand that everyone can have their own idea of what
things mean, but then there are accepted standards of what something
means, which are often different. To most people a winner is not someone
who places "average".

Well, if you define winners as above average, and losers as everyone
who are not winners, then it should not be surprising that most people
are losers, in this definition. This amounts of saying that only few
people are above average. But you cannot use that triviality as a
means to attack capitalism.

A winner is someone who does far better than average and a loser is
someone who does far less than average. Statistically, most
Americans fall into either average or below average. By those
standards most do not do well.

No, this is meaningless word play.

For obvious reasons, there is no foolproof way for an average person
that would enable one to live well above average. If there was, then
everyone would be above average!

There are, however, easy ways to lose and be below average. Not having
any marketable skills is one way to lose.

The other straightforward way to lose is to not save money for a rainy
day, or to borrow too much money.

I agree that what one does has a great effect on how he does. Working
hard, getting an education, saving and investing for the long run all
can work to put you in the winner category. Can is the key word.

Correct.

For several years since late 1990's, we lived under illusion that we
are collectively richer than we actually were. The various collapses
of recent years amount simply to destruction of this imaginary
wealth.

They didn't have wealth. They had access to credit. Between credit
cards, home equity loans, home refinancing, and the like people got the
ability to spend unearned money. So they did. It made the economy grow
but it was not based on real wealth. When the value of homes declined so
has everything else.

The point is is that proliferation of easy credit created an illusion
of wealth, due to rising asset prices.
Everything else is not as unreasonable and usually leads to decent
allocation of resources.

Not according to statistics. As of now 1% of the public owns as much as
the other 95% do.

Can you substantiate this?

John R. Carroll[_3_] November 26th 09 07:59 PM

Should I move to Idaho?

Ignoramus17202 wrote:
On 2009-11-26, Hawke wrote:

[...]

He's right Ig.
What's missing, of course, is the four percent that isn't included in his
statement.
They are a big chunk to.

--
John R. Carroll

Ignoramus17202 November 26th 09 10:01 PM

Should I move to Idaho?

On 2009-11-26, John R. Carroll wrote:
Not according to statistics. As of now 1% of the public owns as much
as the other 95% do.

Can you substantiate this?

He's right Ig. What's missing, of course, is the four percent that
isn't included in his statement. They are a big chunk to.

Look at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distribution_of_wealth

``It has been noted that the richest 1% of the American population owns
as much as the combined wealth of the bottom 90%. ''

The difference between his quoted 95% number and 90% may seem trivial,
but it is not.

Also, this inequality number also somewhat overstates the actual
inequality between citizens. This is so because it mixes young people
(who had no time to accumulate wealth) with older people (who had a
chance to do so). A more proper comparison would be to compare people
within similar age brackets.

Also, an older person who has wealth, but is retired and earns no
current income, is not as wealthy as would appear for a younger person
who earns regular income.

Ignoramus17202 November 26th 09 10:19 PM

Should I move to Idaho?

Here's a good, but dated, review of top 1% of households.

http://research.stlouisfed.org/publi.../07/9707jw.pdf

Hawke's quote of 1% owning as much as the bottom 95%, probably comes
from Michael Moore, whom I consider to be a left wing version of Rush
Limbaugh. (a sensationalist windbag preaching to the gullible).

Gunner Asch[_4_] November 26th 09 10:47 PM

Should I move to Idaho?

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 11:27:56 -0800, jk wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Gunner, Central California..average rainfall is 4" per year

CENTRAL California??????????
I don't think so! Perhaps from a E-W view, but you are well, WELL
into southern California. Now if you lived in Sacramento, that's
"Central" california.

jk

Actually...No Im not. By California Standards...Southern Cal starts on
the south side of the Grapevine. I am however on the southern end of the
Central Valley..which is considered Central California and runs almost
to Redding.

North to South..Califonriia is nearly 3/4 of the US tall.

Its 770 miles "tall"

The Central valley is aprox 440 miles tall

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central...8California%29

Gunner

John R. Carroll[_3_] November 26th 09 10:57 PM

Should I move to Idaho?

On 2009-11-26, John R. Carroll wrote:
Not according to statistics. As of now 1% of the public owns as
much as the other 95% do.

Can you substantiate this?

He's right Ig. What's missing, of course, is the four percent that
isn't included in his statement. They are a big chunk to.

Look at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distribution_of_wealth

``It has been noted that the richest 1% of the American population
owns as much as the combined wealth of the bottom 90%. ''

The difference between his quoted 95% number and 90% may seem trivial,
but it is not.

I think it depends on how you count but I wouldn't quibble it.
That isn't the point behind the statement and it's equally made whether the
number is 90% or 95%.

Also, this inequality number also somewhat overstates the actual
inequality between citizens. This is so because it mixes young people
(who had no time to accumulate wealth) with older people (who had a
chance to do so).

Intentionally even.

A more proper comparison would be to compare people
within similar age brackets.

Or GINI

Also, an older person who has wealth, but is retired and earns no
current income, is not as wealthy as would appear for a younger person
who earns regular income.

Like I said, it depends on how you count. These sorts of statements are
meant to dramatize something that is very real.
Wealth has been aggregating upward in the US for more than three decades.
The disparity is appalling if you compare the 1959 and 2009. The societal
consequence is decreased upward mobility, among others. This is all pretty
well documented.
It isn't unfair at all to believe that children born today are being left
not with the promise of a brighter future than their parents enjoyed.
The reverse is at least equally possible, that today's kids will enjoy a
lower standard of living.

We wont know for as long as it takes to see what the modern equivalent of
the auto industry and America's military industrial complex is supplanted
by.

We are in deep poopie if the answer is "nothing" because if that is the
answer the result will be something of a failed first world nation.
That would make a total of four in modern history.

--
John R. Carroll

F. George McDuffee November 27th 09 02:04 AM

Should I move to Idaho?

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 01:10:51 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:
snip
I would take as much or more joy in seeing
Gunner become a net contributor as you seem to in disparaging and
condemning.

snip
It is not the fault of the Gunners of the world that the pols
decided to kill the goose that laid the golden eggs, and now
everyone including the pols are paying the price.

Be reminded that it is not necessary to pay taxes to be a net
contributor to society, in spite of the massive amounts of
propaganda that this is the case.

It all depends on what the taxes are used for. In too many
jurisdictions most of the taxes simply line the pockets of the
pols and their pals, and the rest is used to buy votes. In these
cases, not paying taxes makes a bigger aggregate contribution
than paying taxes.

Hawke[_3_] November 27th 09 03:09 AM

Should I move to Idaho?

The point is is that proliferation of easy credit created an illusion
of wealth, due to rising asset prices.
Everything else is not as unreasonable and usually leads to decent
allocation of resources.

Not according to statistics. As of now 1% of the public owns as much
as the other 95% do.

Can you substantiate this?

He's right Ig.
What's missing, of course, is the four percent that isn't included in his
statement.
They are a big chunk to.

Thanks for confirming what I was saying about the extreme
maldistribution of wealth in the country. Even people like Iggy don't
know this, and is why they find it had to believe. People just have no
idea what has happened since Ronald Reagan got elected. The amount of
wealth that has shifted from the middle class to the fortunate few,
whether it be 5% or 1%, is staggering. The point is the country is doing
something radically wrong. So not only are the next generations going to
be worse off than their parents, but the majority of the country's
wealth is going into fewer and fewer hands.

The whole idea of America was a place where the middle class was
dominant, most people did pretty well, and the very rich and very poor
were extremely small in numbers. It's not like that any more and it's
not by accident. Capitalism is a system with a few winners and many
losers. When it is not held in check by government it does the same
thing every time. It runs to monopoly. Right now the rich have won the
game of monopoly. They have put the rest of us out of business and they
own all the hotels on Boardwalk and Park Place.

Americans are angry and they don't know who to blame. What has happened
is in some ways complicated and in some ways very simple. Throughout
history in most places a lucky few have always owned everything and the
multitudes were penniless. We liked to think we were different. Like it
or not we have been going in that direction for three decades. At some
point we have to say okay, that's enough, we're making some changes. I
think we're very close to a tipping point. If we don't do something
about the inequality of wealth we're through as a country. We just can't
have people making a billion dollars a year when most people make 30K or
less. Average income is around 50K and that is for two full time
workers. That isn't sustainable. Like they say in cards, read 'em and
weep. That is where we are as a country. Better we do something now
because if we don't we just may have some kind of revolution after all,
and that will be real ugly.

Hawke