Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What do I need?

On 2009-11-25, Steve B wrote:
I want to make a hoist, and add some muscle to things I don't want to
muscle. Like a tilt dump trailer. Places where a long ram cylinder would
be the answer, but without all the pieces and parts.

Should I be looking for a hydraulic lift assembly, or are there slow speed
actuators that would do the same thing without all the pumps and parts of a
hydraulic setup. Max lifting weight .......... 500#, mostly lots less than
that.

I have been very happy with my "engine hoist". It is a Harbor Freight
2 ton model, with nice 5" casters welded on and a air powered jack.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 22:04:00 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

I want to make a hoist, and add some muscle to things I don't want to
muscle. Like a tilt dump trailer. Places where a long ram cylinder would
be the answer, but without all the pieces and parts.

Should I be looking for a hydraulic lift assembly, or are there slow speed
actuators that would do the same thing without all the pumps and parts of a
hydraulic setup. Max lifting weight .......... 500#, mostly lots less than
that.

Steve

A hoist or a lift?

Hoists I have a number of.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 25, 1:04*am, "Steve B" wrote:
I want to make a hoist, and add some muscle to things I don't want to
muscle. *Like a tilt dump trailer. *Places where a long ram cylinder would
be the answer, but without all the pieces and parts.

Should I be looking for a hydraulic lift assembly, or are there slow speed
actuators that would do the same thing without all the pumps and parts of a
hydraulic setup. *Max lifting weight .......... 500#, mostly lots less than
that.

Steve

One of these and a few spare couplers will let you make use of surplus
hydraulic cylinders:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w..._375761_375761

I haven't found any second-hand electric jackscrews that were long and
powerful enough to be worthwhile. I'd consider a boat trailer winch
with either a short mast or a pulley-operated scissors jack to raise
the bed. Telescoping ham radio antennas are anther good model for
converting a pull into a push.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:

I want to make a hoist, and add some muscle to things I don't want to
muscle. Like a tilt dump trailer. Places where a long ram cylinder would
be the answer, but without all the pieces and parts.

Should I be looking for a hydraulic lift assembly, or are there slow speed
actuators that would do the same thing without all the pumps and parts of a
hydraulic setup. Max lifting weight .......... 500#, mostly lots less than
that.

Steve

Didn't we go through this before? surpluscenter.com has some 12V linear
actuators in 500# and 1000# capacities I believe. They also have
hydraulic cylinders and remote hand pumps.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-25, Steve B wrote:
I want to make a hoist, and add some muscle to things I don't want to
muscle. Like a tilt dump trailer. Places where a long ram cylinder
would
be the answer, but without all the pieces and parts.

Should I be looking for a hydraulic lift assembly, or are there slow
speed
actuators that would do the same thing without all the pumps and parts of
hydraulic setup. Max lifting weight .......... 500#, mostly lots less
than
that.

I have been very happy with my "engine hoist". It is a Harbor Freight
2 ton model, with nice 5" casters welded on and a air powered jack.

I've got one of those... great machine, but now it sits idle. I use the
front loader on my tractor for most lifting now. I've also got a ten ton
porta power. Bought it to bend a wrought iron gate where the fence has
shifted over the last 12-13 years. Its awesome. I have used the mini ram
to lift a safe and place rollers under it for moving, to bend C-channel, and
a few other things. I wish the wedge would handle a little more umph, but
its an awesome hand operated hydraulic.

I also, recently (two years ago) picked up an air operated 12 (or was it 20)
ton jack for my press. That jack is great. It spends more time out of the
press than in it. I use it in the shop as a regular jack all the time. It
gets as much use as my wagon/farm/offroad jack does.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-25, Steve B wrote:
[...]

Port-o-Powers are super handy for all kinds of stuff, and I use my
little tractor loader for a lot of lifting, but the engine hoist is most
useful in the shop for getting the rotary table on and off the
Bridgeport.