Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Sneaky Ebay practice

I think some one on Ebay is using a sneaky practice to get the maximum
price. But I do not know how to prove it.

I bid on an item and only one other person bid on the same item. And
they bid more than I had decided to pay. But right after the auction
closed, I got a second chance offer to buy at my max bid limit because
the winner had retracted his bid. Ebay rules prohibit retracting the
bid unless the seller agrees to the retraction.

This is what I think occurred. The seller saw that no one except me
was interested in the item and so got a shill to bid. And then agreed
to the retraction of the shill's bid after the auction ended. And
then gave me a chance to buy at the highest price I would pay for the
item.

By the way, Ebay say the person ( or shill ) has never bought anything
on Ebay. And the seller has 9 feedbacks , all positive. All in the
last two months and 4 of them for things purchased.

Is there any way to find out how many second chance offers a seller
has made?

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 24, 8:18*am, " wrote:
[...]

No.

Shilling is rampant on Ebay ...especially now with the hidden bidder
lists.

I personally have seen shilling occur twice when I was in two separate
pawn shops where employees took turns to be the shill...the buyers on
the acutions didn't know. One of the examples I witnessed them then
sending a "second change" to the second highest legiminate bidder
minutes after the auction.

My standing rule is NEVER accept a second chance offer...NEVER.

You also may be dealing with a scammer who has stolen an Ebay
account...again MANY accounts have been compremised. In the past I got
cheated once on Ebay in this way.

As it stands now, Ebay is a wanna be Amazon...and not doing very well
at it.

I used to spend thousands per month on Ebay.. now I haven't spent a
hundred this year yet.

I really wish something would come along that would be like the old
Ebay..ah for the good old days.

With the presence of Craigslist, I doubt that a replacement will come
along.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

When I get 2nd chance offers, I only agree to pay the minimum increment
over the next highest offer. Which is what I would have paid if the
high bidder hadn't bid at all. In the OP's case, this would be the
opening price, since there were only 2 bidders.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" wrote:

This is what I think occurred. The seller saw that no one except me
was interested in the item and so got a shill to bid. And then agreed
to the retraction of the shill's bid after the auction ended. And
then gave me a chance to buy at the highest price I would pay for the
item.

I was shocked to hear a co-worker admit to pulling that stunt using his and his wifes
accounts.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
When I get 2nd chance offers, I only agree to pay the minimum
increment over the next highest offer. Which is what I would have
paid if the high bidder hadn't bid at all. In the OP's case, this
would be the opening price, since there were only 2 bidders.

This is the correct answer. Don't reward possible shills.

Jon