Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hurry UP, Thanksgiving!

My electrician friend is coming up for Thanksgiving, and to wire in my BIG
honking SIEMENS breaker panel for my two containers. This panel is twice as
big as the one in my house. It will probably just have six or eight
breakers in it, but room for about 32. The box is about 36" high, and 24"
wide. Came out of a hotel remodel, and nothing but the finest for them
folks. It was on its way to the trash.

Ah, my wirefeed running again. Lights. Heaters. Fridge. Microwave. Flat
screen. CD player.

It's been a good while and a lot of work so far. And even then, the work
only starts, as I can build more "stuff". Got about seventy-five feet or so
of stair rail waiting to be built as the first job.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 22:49:55 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

My electrician friend is coming up for Thanksgiving, and to wire in my BIG
honking SIEMENS breaker panel for my two containers. This panel is twice as
big as the one in my house. It will probably just have six or eight
breakers in it, but room for about 32. The box is about 36" high, and 24"
wide. Came out of a hotel remodel, and nothing but the finest for them
folks. It was on its way to the trash.

Ah, my wirefeed running again. Lights. Heaters. Fridge. Microwave. Flat
screen. CD player.

It's been a good while and a lot of work so far. And even then, the work
only starts, as I can build more "stuff". Got about seventy-five feet or so
of stair rail waiting to be built as the first job.

Steve

Damn...just how long are those containers anyways??????

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote:

My electrician friend is coming up for Thanksgiving, and to wire in my BIG
honking SIEMENS breaker panel for my two containers. This panel is twice as
big as the one in my house. It will probably just have six or eight
breakers in it, but room for about 32. The box is about 36" high, and 24"
wide. Came out of a hotel remodel, and nothing but the finest for them
folks. It was on its way to the trash.

Extra breaker space is always nice. I never envisoned adding electric heat, pottery kiln,
welder outlet, rpc, ect when I built my garage.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Forty feet each, 16' between, with a roof designed to be built as time,
money, and materials appear. I live in an agricultural zone, so there is
little regulation. I'm in at City Hall, in a town of 900 people. The other
day, I took over my water payment, and the building inspector was manning
the desk for the secretary. I gave him an extra twenty for the local Eagle
Scout's project, so there's little brouhaha unless you build something
really stupid.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Steve B" wrote:

My electrician friend is coming up for Thanksgiving, and to wire in my BIG
honking SIEMENS breaker panel for my two containers. This panel is twice
as
big as the one in my house. It will probably just have six or eight
breakers in it, but room for about 32. The box is about 36" high, and 24"
wide. Came out of a hotel remodel, and nothing but the finest for them
folks. It was on its way to the trash.

Extra breaker space is always nice. I never envisoned adding electric
heat, pottery kiln,
welder outlet, rpc, ect when I built my garage.

Wes

I shall post a picture of this panel on flickr. It takes two people to pick
it up. I'd be interested in what it cost the hotel.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 10:14:23 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Then you have 30 odd feet of railing sticking out of one end?

What if it rains?

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My electrician friend is coming up for Thanksgiving, and to wire in my BIG
honking SIEMENS breaker panel for my two containers. This panel is twice as
big as the one in my house. It will probably just have six or eight
breakers in it, but room for about 32. The box is about 36" high, and 24"
wide. Came out of a hotel remodel, and nothing but the finest for them
folks. It was on its way to the trash.

Ah, my wirefeed running again. Lights. Heaters. Fridge. Microwave. Flat
screen. CD player.

It's been a good while and a lot of work so far. And even then, the work
only starts, as I can build more "stuff". Got about seventy-five feet or so
of stair rail waiting to be built as the first job.

Sounds suspiciously like a Panelboard, are they bolt-on breakers?

Good news is, they sometimes have extra heavy 400A or 600A busses,
which is good if you have a big enough service to feed them and
regularly run lots of heavy stuff at once.

Bad news, you have to go to a wholesale house and buy bolt-on
breakers to fit it., and they are a 25% to 50% premium over the
plug-in style. (Get spares now, and the 2-pole 30 40 and 50 you may
need.) I only carry the bare minimum assortment of bolt-ons, because
I don't deal with them much.

Watch the threads! If a breaker is missing the screw, CHECK before
you toss a new one in there. Most of them are 10-32 NF screws, but
there were a few old oddballs that took 10-24 NC. Strip the hole, and
now you are in trouble.

If you substitute screws for missing ones, make sure to cut it to
the right length - you REALLY don't wantr to shove the screw through
the insulating plastic sheet and make a dead short between the hot bus
and the grounded can. Much fireworks and excitement will result -
especially if you were working it hot.

If the panel didn't come with a full bag, go get enough plastic
breaker blanks to fill in all the unused holes. Most electrical
inspectors seriously frown on you leaving open spaces where the
kiddies can reach in and touch the hot buss bars.

(I believe in Darwin's Law, we keep warning the little snots to keep
their hands in their pockets in the shop Or Else, there are Dangerous
Things in the shop you Shall Not Touch, but Noooooooo! And for some
strange reason the Lawyers all see it the other way too.)

-- Bruce --

Hurry up!!! kaki Home Repair 0 May 2nd 08 04:01 PM
Hurry up!!! kaki Home Repair 0 May 2nd 08 04:00 PM
Quietest Shop Vac? Need in a hurry! HerHusband Woodworking 30 November 21st 07 06:05 PM
New Business - Hurry !!!.... sam[_2_] UK diy 0 September 7th 07 11:01 AM
Happy Thanksgiving...THE REAL STORY OF THANKSGIVING Cliff Metalworking 13 November 30th 05 11:01 PM