Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Decimal to Fraction Conversion - and Letter- and Number drill bits

Hi all -

In a brief period of boredom we wrote a small application to convert
decimal values to fractions.

(If anybody wants a copy, email me at carla dot fong at verizon dot net.
The 'reply to' on this message is spam-trapped) Runs on Windows.

It also calculates the next larger 1/64th inch drill for a decimal value
- handy if you read the size with a caliper and want a fractional drill
bit to match.

This brings up my question: Is there a way to calculate the decimal inch
sizes of letter- and number- denominated drill bits, or are they ad hoc?

Thanks

Carla
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hi all -

We updated the decimal to fraction converter to include Letter/Number
and Metric drill sizes. Just did a brute-force lookup table with
appropriate sizes, after reviewing the information in this thread.

Not yet a graphical user interface, but maybe later.

The executable is compressed in "Fractions.zip" and downloadable from
http://www.carlafongphotography.com/utilities/

Still Windows only... comments appreciated.

Help yourselves!

Carla

There are two kinds of statistics: the kind you look up and the kind you
make up ~ Rex Stout

Carla Fong wrote:

Hi all -

In a brief period of boredom we wrote a small application to convert
decimal values to fractions.

(If anybody wants a copy, email me at carla dot fong at verizon dot net.
The 'reply to' on this message is spam-trapped) Runs on Windows.

It also calculates the next larger 1/64th inch drill for a decimal value
- handy if you read the size with a caliper and want a fractional drill
bit to match.

This brings up my question: Is there a way to calculate the decimal inch
sizes of letter- and number- denominated drill bits, or are they ad hoc?

Thanks

Carla

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Carla Fong wrote:
Hi all -

We updated the decimal to fraction converter to include Letter/Number
and Metric drill sizes. Just did a brute-force lookup table with
appropriate sizes, after reviewing the information in this thread.

Not yet a graphical user interface, but maybe later.

The executable is compressed in "Fractions.zip" and downloadable from
http://www.carlafongphotography.com/utilities/

Cool!

Thanks Carla!

--Winston

--

Congratulations Robert Piccinini and Steven A. Burd, WalMart Publicists of the Year!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 11:30:00 -0800, Carla Fong wrote:

There are two kinds of statistics: the kind you look up and the kind you
make up ~ Rex Stout

93.7% of all statistics are made up out of thin air. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise wrote:
On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 11:30:00 -0800, Carla Fong wrote:
There are two kinds of statistics: the kind you look up and the kind you
make up ~ Rex Stout

93.7% of all statistics are made up out of thin air. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Sorry, it's only 43%...

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-12-01, Carla Fong wrote:
Hi all -

We updated the decimal to fraction converter to include Letter/Number
and Metric drill sizes. Just did a brute-force lookup table with
appropriate sizes, after reviewing the information in this thread.

Not yet a graphical user interface, but maybe later.

The executable is compressed in "Fractions.zip" and downloadable from
http://www.carlafongphotography.com/utilities/

Still Windows only... comments appreciated.

Well ... since it is Windows only, I won't be testing it.

Out of curiosity -- what language is it in? If not in something
Windows specific (like Visual Basic), and as a command-line program, it
should be quite easy to port to other systems. I've donated a couple of
programs in 'C' in source form (e.g. one for use while cutting threads),
and someone else modified it for Windows -- even using a GUI wrapper
around it.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 23, 9:25*pm, Carla Fong wrote:
Hi all -

In a brief period of boredom we wrote a small application to convert
decimal values to fractions.

(If anybody wants a copy, email me at carla dot fong at verizon dot net.
The 'reply to' on this message is spam-trapped) Runs on Windows.

It also calculates the next larger 1/64th inch drill for a decimal value
- handy if you read the size with a caliper and want a fractional drill
bit to match.

This brings up my question: Is there a way to calculate the decimal inch
sizes of letter- and number- denominated drill bits, or are they ad hoc?

Thanks

Carla

Hi Carla
I appreciate your efforts. That's a good program to have.
Another way to convert decimals to fractions is contained
w/ in a program in the HP 32s II pocket calculator & iirc it rounds up
to the nearest
fraction also. It's a somewhat complicated operation that was very
useful in my work
before I retired. I have since forgotten to use it. But I love my HP
32s II. Possibly
the best true pocket calculator made by any company. I'm not counting
the bigger 'pocket'
calculators as such as the HP 40 series as a pocket calculator.
The funny thing is that I think I paid ~$40 bucks for mine in the mid
90s, & in about
'97 I was standing in a store looking @ close out display of them for ~
$25, trying to decide
to buy another as a backup. Economy & lack of foresight won out & I
kept my $$$
in my pocket. To day they are going for over $250 on eBay. If I had
had the foresight,
I'd have bought everyone I could get my hands on & made a tidy profit
@ 10 to 1.

Thanks, JD