Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Clausing drill press

I am looking for a heavier drill press than the typical Chinese fair. I see
these Clausing variable speed drill presses on Ebay often and relatively
cloce to home. Are these good drill presses? Any thing to be aware off. It
will get used for light home shop use.

Simular to this,
http://cgi.ebay.com/20-Swg-1-5HP-Spd...item2ea8892f9b

--
Greg O

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Greg O" wrote in message
I am looking for a heavier drill press than the typical Chinese fair. I see
these Clausing variable speed drill presses on Ebay often and relatively
cloce to home. Are these good drill presses? Any thing to be aware off. It
will get used for light home shop use.

Simular to this,
http://cgi.ebay.com/20-Swg-1-5HP-Spd...item2ea8892f9b

One EXCELLENT drill press. You can get it for a fraction of that price if
you are patient. I'd want to hear it run and take it through all the speeds
before purchase.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...

"Greg O" wrote in message
I am looking for a heavier drill press than the typical Chinese fair. I
see these Clausing variable speed drill presses on Ebay often and
relatively cloce to home. Are these good drill presses? Any thing to be
aware off. It will get used for light home shop use.

Simular to this,
http://cgi.ebay.com/20-Swg-1-5HP-Spd...item2ea8892f9b

One EXCELLENT drill press. You can get it for a fraction of that price if
you are patient. I'd want to hear it run and take it through all the
speeds before purchase.

Karl

I have seen them as low as $750, and up to, well the sky is the limit!
If I can grab one for under $1000, and reasonably local I may buy it. I just
wanted to know opinions on the quality.
Are parts available??
Greg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have seen them as low as $750, and up to, well the sky is the limit!
If I can grab one for under $1000, and reasonably local I may buy it. I
just wanted to know opinions on the quality.
Are parts available??
Greg

I'm sure parts aren't a problem IF you got gold lined pocketsVBG

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-15, Greg O wrote:
I am looking for a heavier drill press than the typical Chinese fair. I see
these Clausing variable speed drill presses on Ebay often and relatively
cloce to home. Are these good drill presses? Any thing to be aware off. It
will get used for light home shop use.

Simular to this,
http://cgi.ebay.com/20-Swg-1-5HP-Spd...item2ea8892f9b

Very good drill presses. Similar ones sold last week at a liquidation
auction for $200 apiece. Make sure not to pay this imachine asshole
$2000 for something like this.

All that imachine did was, he brought them to his warehouse and
cleaned them.

Note that most of them have a three phase motor. Some of those are
single voltage only, and furthermore, some are 440v only. This drill
press from imachine, for example, is 440v only. (which means it is
useless in a home shop).

In any case, be ready to spend more $$ to run the three phase motors
on those drill presses, from single phase.

I just finished installing a similar Powermatic 1200 drill press (1
HP, 3 phase). I run it from 110v now.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Greg O" wrote in message
I am looking for a heavier drill press than the typical Chinese fair. I
see these Clausing variable speed drill presses on Ebay often and
relatively cloce to home. Are these good drill presses? Any thing to be
aware off. It will get used for light home shop use.

Simular to this,
http://cgi.ebay.com/20-Swg-1-5HP-Spd...item2ea8892f9b

One EXCELLENT drill press. You can get it for a fraction of that price if
you are patient. I'd want to hear it run and take it through all the
speeds before purchase.

Karl

I have seen them as low as $750, and up to, well the sky is the limit!
If I can grab one for under $1000, and reasonably local I may buy it. I just
wanted to know opinions on the quality.

you can buy one for $300 pretty easily if you scan your local
auctions.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Greg O" wrote in message
I am looking for a heavier drill press than the typical Chinese fair. I see
these Clausing variable speed drill presses on Ebay often and relatively
cloce to home. Are these good drill presses? Any thing to be aware off. It
will get used for light home shop use.

Simular to this,
http://cgi.ebay.com/20-Swg-1-5HP-Spd...item2ea8892f9b

--
Greg O

I've bought 4 in the past 5 years, they're top notch! The most I paid was
$500 and it had power feed and was in great shape. Clausing sent me a book
for $5 and all the parts are available. Here's a 2-head from my supplier
for $850 and they will haggle.
http://www.mckeanmachinery.com/inven...hp?item=BR4403

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-15, Gunner Asch wrote:
You might..might want to consider a decent pulley style drill press and
if you feel the need..do as Iggy just did and put on a cheap VFD

Mine was not even a cheap VFD. It cost me $199.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus30818" wrote in message

you can buy one for $300 pretty easily if you scan your local
auctions.

Not in this part of the country!
Perhaps in the bigger cities, but here in Fargo I never see any dals on
machine tools, or wood working tools, and I have been watching sales for
years! Probably not enough manufacturing here to have a large amount of used
equipment. Anything I do find the seller wants new price for it!
Greg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

a 1.5hp drill press for light home use? Blink blink.....blink....

Well....they are good drill presses.

Gosh Gunner,

I got a 5 hp. radial arm drill press for my light home use.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Greg O" wrote:

I am looking for a heavier drill press than the typical Chinese fair. I see
these Clausing variable speed drill presses on Ebay often and relatively
cloce to home. Are these good drill presses? Any thing to be aware off. It
will get used for light home shop use.

We have one at work with air over hydraulics controling the downfeed. The varidrive craps
out every couple years but we use ours in a balancer drilling 5/8" diameter ballancing
holes in cast iron pulleys on at least two shifts. I'd consider it severe duty.

For a typical shop application that drill press is bulletproof. Also, you can still get
parts for it but they are a bit pricey.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

you can buy one for $300 pretty easily if you scan your local
auctions.

Not in this part of the country!
Perhaps in the bigger cities, but here in Fargo I never see any dals on

You're in my corner of the world. There were several at a k-bid.com auction
just last week. Also watch hoff-hilk.com auctions. Both auctioneers do all
of Minnesota. But i think you'd be very lucky to get it for $500. Iggy and
gunner seem to live a charmed life for deals on used machinery. Email me if
you want me to look at one by the twin cities.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 18:33:27 -0600, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

a 1.5hp drill press for light home use? Blink blink.....blink....

Well....they are good drill presses.

Gosh Gunner,

I got a 5 hp. radial arm drill press for my light home use.

Karl

Snicker..but you (and I) are not exactly the average "home shop
machinists"

Ive got hummm...lets see...pair of Walker Turner 18" drill presses on a
3 drill press cast iron table..with a pair of Pratt & Whitney Sensitive
..25" 208, 3ph drill presses between..and a 3/.4 hp Delta (with VFD) on
the other end of the shop..and of course the Gorton MasterMill and a
pair of Clausing drills out in the welding shop...

Shrug..but they are only used for light home use.......

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 18:05:09 -0600, "Greg O"
wrote:

"Ignoramus30818" wrote in message
m...

you can buy one for $300 pretty easily if you scan your local
auctions.

Not in this part of the country!
Perhaps in the bigger cities, but here in Fargo I never see any dals on
machine tools, or wood working tools, and I have been watching sales for
years! Probably not enough manufacturing here to have a large amount of used
equipment. Anything I do find the seller wants new price for it!
Greg

You in NortDickota?

Indeed..things might be a bit harder to find up there....hummm...

Road trip or shipping suit you better?

Leigh at MarMachine goes out to Hersey every year, and into the midwest
on a regular basis, with a decent sized trailer with all manner of
machine tools for pickup or delivery...

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 18:41:12 -0600, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

you can buy one for $300 pretty easily if you scan your local
auctions.

Not in this part of the country!
Perhaps in the bigger cities, but here in Fargo I never see any dals on

You're in my corner of the world. There were several at a k-bid.com auction
just last week. Also watch hoff-hilk.com auctions. Both auctioneers do all
of Minnesota. But i think you'd be very lucky to get it for $500. Iggy and
gunner seem to live a charmed life for deals on used machinery. Email me if
you want me to look at one by the twin cities.

Karl

Not so much a charmed life..but Iggy and I both live in the dying grave
yards that once were the basic foundations of American manufacturing and
industry.

RIP

1857-2009

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-16, Karl Townsend wrote:
a 1.5hp drill press for light home use? Blink blink.....blink....

Well....they are good drill presses.

Gosh Gunner,

I got a 5 hp. radial arm drill press for my light home use.

And what do you have for heavy use?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...

you can buy one for $300 pretty easily if you scan your local
auctions.

Not in this part of the country!
Perhaps in the bigger cities, but here in Fargo I never see any dals on

You're in my corner of the world. There were several at a k-bid.com
auction just last week. Also watch hoff-hilk.com auctions. Both
auctioneers do all of Minnesota. But i think you'd be very lucky to get it
for $500. Iggy and gunner seem to live a charmed life for deals on used
machinery. Email me if you want me to look at one by the twin cities.

Karl

Thanks for the links. If you run across something like the Clausing, let me
know. You are a bit more fortunate than me living closer to the cities. Most
anything I see in auction seems to be from the Twin cities area.
Greg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news
wrote:

"Ignoramus30818" wrote in message
om...

[...]

Shipping would be fine, if from a trustworthy seller. Other wise I feel a
bit better picking up in person as I could possibly back out of a sour deal.
Tough to back out if the machine if shipped 1/2 way across the country!
Greg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message

I forgot to mention that the Grizzly drill press that Joe recommended
costs
$1250 and weighs 656 lbs.

Dan

I have looked at Grizzly, but I would rather spend less money on some old
american iron, and get more machine!
Greg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news:MfidnakVdZLl953WnZ2dnUVZ_oJi4p2d@giganews. com...

[...]

Ok..tell me what you want, and how much you want to spend on the machine
itself, and Ill find you something.

And it will be in good, usable condition. Professional word on that.

Gunner, Owner, Coyote Engineering

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

Shipping would be fine, if from a trustworthy seller. Other wise I feel a
bit better picking up in person as I could possibly back out of a sour
deal.
Tough to back out if the machine if shipped 1/2 way across the country!
Greg

Ok..tell me what you want, and how much you want to spend on the machine
itself, and Ill find you something.

And it will be in good, usable condition. Professional word on that.

Gunner, Owner, Coyote Engineering

I would like to keep the total bill under $1000, machine, shipping.
It would be great if you keep you eyes open for me, but don't commit on
anything!
I just really started seriously looking and may find something somewhat
local.
Greg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 00:47:56 -0600, "Greg O"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .

Shipping would be fine, if from a trustworthy seller. Other wise I feel a
bit better picking up in person as I could possibly back out of a sour
deal.
Tough to back out if the machine if shipped 1/2 way across the country!
Greg

Ok..tell me what you want, and how much you want to spend on the machine
itself, and Ill find you something.

And it will be in good, usable condition. Professional word on that.

Gunner, Owner, Coyote Engineering

I would like to keep the total bill under $1000, machine, shipping.
It would be great if you keep you eyes open for me, but don't commit on
anything!
I just really started seriously looking and may find something somewhat
local.
Greg

So what exactly are you looking for?

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-16, Karl Townsend wrote:
a 1.5hp drill press for light home use? Blink blink.....blink....

Well....they are good drill presses.

Gosh Gunner,

I got a 5 hp. radial arm drill press for my light home use.

And what do you have for heavy use?

All my equipment is only for light home use. But some think my Mazak M4,
16,000 lb. machine 22" x 72" don't qualify. Nor my Matsuura bed mill 12,000
lb 96" table twin spindle.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Something simular to the line of the fore mentioned Clausing. Varible speed
would be nice, gear drive would be great, (but more $$ I am sure!). 1 to
1-1/2 HP, 208-240 three phase would be best. Something not too large, space
is a premium.
Greg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Ok..Ill find you something.

Sure a Bridgeport wont do the job for you? I can get them for less than
a grand. Often times..far less.

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 19:29:13 -0600, "Greg O"

Sure a Bridgeport wont do the job for you? I can get them for less than
a grand. Often times..far less.

Gunner

No need for a mill, or the room for it either. I just want to drill holes!
Greg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 21:30:40 -0600, "Greg O"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 19:29:13 -0600, "Greg O"

Sure a Bridgeport wont do the job for you? I can get them for less than
a grand. Often times..far less.

Gunner

No need for a mill, or the room for it either. I just want to drill holes!
Greg

You are aware that a mill is superior to any drill press..right?
Well..superior to most of them. Plus they have high and low range gear
boxes in their heads and 2hp motors and up.

They can be run at 10 rpm, to 4000 rpm. My Gorton Master Mill has turned
4"..thats 4 INCH spade drills without breathing hard.

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 19:29:13 -0600, "Greg O"

Sure a Bridgeport wont do the job for you? I can get them for less than
a grand. Often times..far less.

Gunner

No need for a mill, or the room for it either. I just want to drill holes!
Greg

You are aware that a mill is superior to any drill press..right?
Well..superior to most of them. Plus they have high and low range gear
boxes in their heads and 2hp motors and up.

They can be run at 10 rpm, to 4000 rpm. My Gorton Master Mill has turned
4"..thats 4 INCH spade drills without breathing hard.

Gunner

Yep! Worked at a machine shop for three years. I don't need a mill, and
don't have the room for one, and if I needed one about a mile away there is
a "slightly", (maybe well used!), used Bridgeport that Karl sold to a friend
of mine.
I am conversing with a fellow with a Powermatic drill press, the variable
speed model right now. He wants tooo much, but I gotta check it out any way.
Greg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-18, Greg O wrote:
Yep! Worked at a machine shop for three years. I don't need a mill, and
don't have the room for one, and if I needed one about a mile away there is
a "slightly", (maybe well used!), used Bridgeport that Karl sold to a friend
of mine.
I am conversing with a fellow with a Powermatic drill press, the variable
speed model right now. He wants tooo much, but I gotta check it out any way.

Never pay too much for anything.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

If you dont get it, let me know. Ive put out calls to friends and
associates for a big drill press for you.

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

If you dont get it, let me know. Ive put out calls to friends and
associates for a big drill press for you.

Gunner

Why does that last comment worry me a bit knowing what you do?!
Define "big"!
Probably something like this! (Link is safe!)
http://tiny.cc/8LmfQ
Greg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 17:40:56 -0600, "Greg O"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .

If you dont get it, let me know. Ive put out calls to friends and
associates for a big drill press for you.

Gunner

Why does that last comment worry me a bit knowing what you do?!
Define "big"!
Probably something like this! (Link is safe!)
http://tiny.cc/8LmfQ
Greg

Hummm...you dont really want one that big? I asked you about it
already!

Damn..now I got to go call everyone again...damnit.